986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Sun visors ... (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/46842-sun-visors.html)

Ian c 07-05-2013 07:54 AM

Sun visors ...

Why do all the passenger sun visors seem to have the flap broken off ??

I've been looking on eBay for one recently and seem to be having trouble finding one .

I even contacted a seller about the pair they had as th pictures looked to have both flaps broken off , they assured me both where there but when I asked for additional CLEAR photos they said they could not as they where already packed ready to ship out !!! :rolleyes:

mistermac99 07-05-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian c (Post 350395)
Why do all the passenger sun visors seem to have the flap broken off ??

I've been looking on eBay for one recently and seem to be having trouble finding one .

I even contacted a seller about the pair they had as th pictures looked to have both flaps broken off , they assured me both where there but when I asked for additional CLEAR photos they said they could not as they where already packed ready to ship out !!! :rolleyes:

Mine was missing when I made an offer on the car from a local dealership. I asked for it to be replaced as part of the offer. They ordered it and some other stuff, and asked me to come back about a week later. I imagine they got it directly from Porsche. They are proabably not very expensive, I would imagine. Have you checked Pelican Parts?

Dgnarvs 07-05-2013 01:21 PM

First repair I made! Got replacement sun visors from Suncoast.

EssexPorsche 07-05-2013 01:25 PM

Sunvisor Delete!
Get rid- there is a kit to replace the stubs.

More sky, less weight!
Win. Win

Ckrikos 07-05-2013 01:33 PM

I still have mine.

patssle 07-05-2013 02:36 PM

My dad broke it off before we even owned the car! Was looking at it and... oops. I ended up buying the car so no biggie. Still haven't gotten around to replacing it.

reiver 07-05-2013 03:18 PM

Both the flaps are broken off of mine, so I blind people driving lifted trucks with the Mirror/Sun for fun....

Dgnarvs 07-05-2013 03:54 PM

Why is it so fragile?!

Car came with the driver side flap broken. Then the wife promptly broke the pax side on her first ride!

Ian c 07-05-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermac99 (Post 350439)
Mine was missing when I made an offer on the car from a local dealership. I asked for it to be replaced as part of the offer. They ordered it and some other stuff, and asked me to come back about a week later. I imagine they got it directly from Porsche. They are proabably not very expensive, I would imagine. Have you checked Pelican Parts?

I use pelican parts ....
Every time I need a part I check there website , alas 9 times out of 10 it is cheaper/better to use my local Porsche dealer ;)
I think today's minor purchase at my local dealer was around 50% more expensive at pelican ....
They had it as a stock part and within 2 hours my car locks again :D

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps96e57331.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps60afcd7f.jpg

I also have a very interesting bit of information should any of you tip owners ever need a multifunction switch :D

However , I really should try both for a replacement visor .
I will do that tommorrow .

aussieboxy 12-22-2013 02:49 PM

Does anyone have a fix for replaceing the flaps without replacingthe whole visor?

Timco 12-22-2013 04:38 PM

When I bought my Box in long beach I stayed about 4 blocks from Circle Porsche! They had a CGT.

linderpat 12-22-2013 04:55 PM

what drives me crazy is that the visor does not swing to the side position. Can't block the sun from the side:mad:

heliguy 12-22-2013 06:32 PM

My sister broke mine on her first ride in the car. I just glued the cover back on. Drivers side broke about a year later, I glued that one also, I already know how ugly I am.

heliguy 12-22-2013 06:49 PM

Does anybody have a link for Pelicans Visors?

Deserion 12-22-2013 07:04 PM

I need a new passenger visor since mine, too, lost the lid. :rolleyes: And I hardly have passengers.

KevinH1990 12-22-2013 08:37 PM

You can order just the vanity mirror and cover. The part number is 986-731-903-00-01C. I ordered mine from Sunset Porsche. The cost is (I hope you are sitting down) $86.83.

I almost left it like it was, but it bugged me too much. I tried glue, but it just broke again.

heliguy 12-23-2013 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinH1990 (Post 377868)

I almost left it like it was, but it bugged me too much. I tried glue, but it just broke again.

I meant that I glued it shut.

BirdDog 12-23-2013 11:36 AM

I was wondering if anyone has tried using the flap (mirror cover) from the non-illuminated mirror housing to fix their illuminated mirror housing flap?

On Pelican, it's about $36 for the non-illuminated housing versus $99 for the illuminated one.

If the flaps are the same, I'd rather buy a non-illuminated one and just swap the flap over.

BYprodriver 12-23-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdDog (Post 377957)
I was wondering if anyone has tried using the flap (mirror cover) from the non-illuminated mirror housing to fix their illuminated mirror housing flap?

On Pelican, it's about $36 for the non-illuminated housing versus $99 for the illuminated one.

If the flaps are the same, I'd rather buy a non-illuminated one and just swap the flap over.

I think it lacks the contact strip that turns on the light when you open the lid.

particlewave 12-23-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heliguy (Post 377902)
I meant that I glued it shut.

Hahaha! :D

I'm thinking of using small magnets, but my passenger flap is missing so I may as well replace them...must do a swivel mod. I need to be able to turn it to the side.