Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2015, 06:29 PM   #1

Added Secondary Cat Delete Pipes - TopSpeed

I recently removed a FDM modified muffler and replace it with a PSE.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/56379-installed-pse-porsche-sport-exhaust-photos.html

The sound of the FDM muffler was louder and more to my liking. After reading numerous threads, I elected to add secondary cat delete pipes to improve the sound of the PSE. There were three choices for the pipes; Fabspeed, Circuit Werks and TopSpeed. Fabspeed was just too much money at close to $500. I looked at Circuit Werks and didn’t care for the O2 Sensor holes that I would not use and would be plugged. They did have a mounting tab but I didn’t deem it necessary due to the weight of the pipe.

I ended up settling on the TopSpeed pipes. What I really liked with their pipes is they are in two pieces. This makes the mounting very easy. I read one thread where the poster had bought Fabspeed pipes and could not get them to line up and mount correctly. He ended up taking the car in and had a shop do it for him. They had to add an extension pipe to get them mounted.

The removal of the secondary cat was very easy and pretty straight forward. The mounting of the TopSpeed pipes was extremely easy. I followed the lead of others who had done this mod and attached the front but left the bolts very loose. I then attached the rear pipes. After securing the rear I went back to the front and tightened them down.

TopSpeed is a vendor on this board and posted a special on these pipes back in 2012. I sent them a PM and asked if the offer was still good. It was. So instead of the $199 eBay price (or their current special on eBay of $188), they sold them to me for $160 shipped! Class act. Shipping was quick and communication was great!

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/33153-f-s-che-boxster-test-pipes.html

As far as sound is concerned it is much better with the secondary cats deleted.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:14 AM   #2

I am hoping to do this very soon - I take it that this is OK for smog test in CA.
The pipes are a great price and I like the 2 part design.
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:36 AM   #3

I've got these and I really like them.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbray View Post
I am hoping to do this very soon - I take it that this is OK for smog test in CA.
The pipes are a great price and I like the 2 part design.
If you search you can find specific examples, but the rundown on CA is it technically fails the visual inspection, but if your car is in good order it will still pass the sniffer test. Of the CA cars mentioned here, I don't remember any not passing.
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:47 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
If you search you can find specific examples, but the rundown on CA is it technically fails the visual inspection, but if your car is in good order it will still pass the sniffer test. Of the CA cars mentioned here, I don't remember any not passing.
I am about to smog mine, have had the TS Cat Delete pipes for about a year...hope it's clean enough to pass. My guy won't bother with the visual, so crossing fingers out here in CA!
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:12 AM   #6

I also have the TS cat deletes and TS mufflers, for almost 2 years.
I have my smog test in the Fall this year, but others have done it and passed just fine.

A good tip is to get the engine nice and hot before the smog as the extra emissions when cold it the reason they put 2nd cats on California cars in the first place.

I posted the actual before cat delete smog test numbers way back in a thread and will update with the results from the test with the 2nd cat delete installed.

Its nice to be able to quantify the results.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:39 AM   #7

It will fail the visual test if they know what to look for and where to look. For2000 and later cars in California they no longer require the tailpipe portion of the smog inspection test. It is all done through the OBD II connector.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:12 PM   #8

Garage
No issue with the CEL showing up once you install the pipes?
EJ-Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:30 PM   #9
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ-Fresno View Post
No issue with the CEL showing up once you install the pipes?
Not sure if Chuck's car even has the O2 sensors on the secondary cats. Pretty sure I read you can disconnect them on a 2003 like yours and mine and it wont throw a CEL, someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Chuck I would love to hear sound bit of your exhaust system.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:35 PM   #10
Artist, 986S tinkerer

sensors are only fore and aft the first cats in mine 2001s
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:52 PM   #11
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
sensors are only fore and aft the first cats in mine 2001s
Nice! Pelican doesn't even list O2 sensors for the secondary cats, unless I'm reading their listings wrong and I put in that my car is a 2003 S.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/1052/POR_1052_EXHPIP_pg1.htm#item0

Last edited by KRAM36; 04-10-2015 at 05:56 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:54 PM   #12

Garage
Good news, thanks guys!
No more worries about the CEL then, I can jump on the pipes now...
EJ-Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
It will fail the visual test if they know what to look for and where to look. For2000 and later cars in California they no longer require the tailpipe portion of the smog inspection test. It is all done through the OBD II connector.
In the Phoenix area the test is the same as California and mine passed no problems. I have the TS cat delete pipes.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:12 PM   #14

A word of caution...
I fitted my Top Speed headers and cat delete pipes a few years ago and while I have great respect for the pricing / products, be aware that the drive shaft rubber boots do not take kindly to the extra heat generated by the exposed pipes - especially in stop/go driving.
Last week I had to replace my inner boots (again) as the L/S had split. On closer examination, both boots were showing signs of hardening from the radiated heat after only 20,000 km (13,000 miles). This was on a 6 speed Boxster, the 5 speed may be different as they tend to last longer on the 5 speeder.
The L/H side (drivers side in the US) pipe is only about 50mm from the boot, so wrapping, ceramic coating or a heat shield (as fitted to the original pipes) may be the answer. I'm debating which way to go on this....
Old 04-11-2015, 03:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
A word of caution............
Great information Steve, thanks for posting. It sounds like wrapping them would be the easiest and most cost efferent. I have never done it before but will start doing my homework on it.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:17 PM   #16

Interesting on the heat issue. The first thing I noticed was the truck didn't get nearly as hot as it use to so I thought I was in the clear on excessive heat.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:24 PM   #17
Rennzenn

Garage
I've been running bypass pipes for 4 years/40k miles with no issues. The car is lowered, so angles/clearances may be a bit different.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
Great information Steve, thanks for posting. It sounds like wrapping them would be the easiest and most cost efferent. I have never done it before but will start doing my homework on it.
Chuck - I can't say I like wrapping - it works OK but I have very good experience with ceramic coating of exhaust pipes, mostly on motorcycles where you can literally feel the difference by placing your hand on the pipe within a few minutes of stopping the engine. To get the best heat dissipation, the pipes need to be coated on both inner & outer surfaces and it is cost affective - just google your local area for ceramic coatings.....
Old 04-12-2015, 05:07 AM   #19

I have the top speed bypass pipes on my '02 base. My secondary cats had a rattle only when really hot so replacing with these fixed the problem and at a good price too! The car passed a New York State inspection with them as well. As for the CV joint boots, I just replaced all 4 of them. The inside boots were dried out and one outer was cracked. The boots are pretty cheap to replace just a pain dealing with all the cv joint grease.
Viper10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:11 AM   #20
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
Chuck - I can't say I like wrapping - it works OK but I have very good experience with ceramic coating of exhaust pipes, mostly on motorcycles where you can literally feel the difference by placing your hand on the pipe within a few minutes of stopping the engine. To get the best heat dissipation, the pipes need to be coated on both inner & outer surfaces and it is cost affective - just google your local area for ceramic coatings.....
Have to agree with Steve here. I started a thread on wrapping the pipes and found out it makes the metal brittle. There should be a local shop that does the ceramic coating and it shouldn't too cost much.

Didn't know this was an issue to the boots, I just wanted to keep the heat down.