Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #1
recycledsixtie

Garage
Do you wait until....

your tires wear down to the wear bar or replace them before?

2. Do you ever consider buying used tires with or without rims on the grounds that the seller wants a new set of wheels? Obvious consideration for me is if the tires do have at least 50% wear left and the tires are not that old. I do not mind if the tires come with factory wheels as I have no need to have fancy rims.

Your thoughts please?

recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
Camibox

Garage
I just bought a set of used rims and tires since mine were worn. On the car they went.
Camibox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
your tires wear down to the wear bar or replace them before?

2. Do you ever consider buying used tires with or without rims on the grounds that the seller wants a new set of wheels? Obvious consideration for me is if the tires do have at least 50% wear left and the tires are not that old. I do not mind if the tires come with factory wheels as I have no need to have fancy rims.

Your thoughts please?
"Tread" or lack of rubber if you think about it, is useless unless you are driving in rain or on a gravel road. Here in SoCA where it only rains in winter I replace my tires when the rubber is worn thru & cords appear.

I rarely buy used tires unless I need 1 to replace a damaged 1. The main reason for this is it costs $25 per tire to mount & balance. If you are considering buying a set of wheels & tires for the value of the tires, the best way is to meet seller at the tire shop that will install them & have them spun up on the balancer to be sure they balance satisfactorily. Remember due to tread squirm & rubber softness, the 1st half of treadwear goes faster than the 2nd half.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Like BYprodriver, since it rarely rains here I ignore the wear bars and the tires are driven down to (or very close to) the cords.

Used tires are fine and can be a very good deal, but I never bought one that had been plugged/repaired.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:53 PM   #5

+1 with wearing the tires beyond the tread/wear bars.

I only buy used track tires called "scrubs" because I go through so many in a season. For street tires, there are enough lower rate brand new tires that go for cheap enough. No need to get the Michelins/Pirellis/expensive stuff.
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #6

Would you buy someone else's used shoes?

It seems kinda silly to think that someone who can afford to buy and operate a Porsche could not afford (or is just too cheap) to buy fresh rubber when it needs it.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #7

Call me cheap, but I just bought some stock 06 caymen rims with factory Michelin pilot sports 50% thread left. They ride great and only cost me $450
juicepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Here in SoCA where it only rains in winter I replace my tires when the rubber is worn thru & cords appear.

oh you'll like the UK laws then..

Minimum Tread Depth
The requirements in the UK are that the grooves of the tread pattern of every tyre fitted to a vehicle shall be of a depth of at least 1.6mm throughout a continuous band comprising the central three-quarters of the breadth of tread and round the entire outer circumference of the tyre.

Tyre Condition
A tyre used on a vehicle or trailer must not have any cut or damage to the exterior of the tyre which is more than 25mm or 10 percent of the section width, which exposes the cords or ply of the tyre or any internal or external lump bulge or tear caused by separation or partial failure of the structure. It is a requirement of using a vehicle on the road that the tyres fitted shall be in good condition and suitable in all respects, including inflation pressure, for the use to which the vehicle is being put.

Penalties
It is an offence to use a tyre which has any defect (not just illegal tread depth). The penalty for an offence is a fine at level 4 of the standard scale (currently upto £2,500), compulsory 3 point endorsement and discretionary disqualification. Each faulty tyre is a separate offence.
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #9

I run snow tires once late fall comes. Snow tires last forever.
So it allows my high performance tires to last that much longer.
No need to destroy costly rubber in weather that demmands more
Cautious driving. And all season tires are only a marginal improvement over
Summer tires on ice patches while being a huge downgrade for a sports car in warmer temps.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #10

It's just too damn silly to drive a car on bad, or bald, tires. I replace them as needed or don't drive. It's a simple as that.

I have considered buying new rims, and if I bought a set used and it came with good rubber I'd use them. If not, I'd replace them.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #11

While in the UK visiting friends, I helped with driving his car to get it M.O.T.'d and I'll have to agree with poster Bruce Wayne,they are dead serious in the UK!

The Minister Of Transportation is not universally liked and many are quick to point out that he does not even own an auto!
litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:44 AM   #12

Garage
+1 on Bruce Wayne. Legislation here is nuts, we have to throw away tyres that you guys could run for another 5/6k
Old 05-13-2013, 02:35 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexPorsche View Post
+1 on Bruce Wayne. Legislation here is nuts, we have to throw away tyres that you guys could run for another 5/6k
Lol, well I just came up with a great Inport business plan..... now to get around the missing DOT serial #s on all these tires

I am in the replace them when they get under 2/32 tread depth on any two adhacent grooves (long way).

It rains a lot more here on the East Coast than it does on sun soaked West Coast.

Skoot

Skootnasty is offline   Reply With Quote