View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
BYprodriver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
your tires wear down to the wear bar or replace them before?

2. Do you ever consider buying used tires with or without rims on the grounds that the seller wants a new set of wheels? Obvious consideration for me is if the tires do have at least 50% wear left and the tires are not that old. I do not mind if the tires come with factory wheels as I have no need to have fancy rims.

Your thoughts please?
"Tread" or lack of rubber if you think about it, is useless unless you are driving in rain or on a gravel road. Here in SoCA where it only rains in winter I replace my tires when the rubber is worn thru & cords appear.

I rarely buy used tires unless I need 1 to replace a damaged 1. The main reason for this is it costs $25 per tire to mount & balance. If you are considering buying a set of wheels & tires for the value of the tires, the best way is to meet seller at the tire shop that will install them & have them spun up on the balancer to be sure they balance satisfactorily. Remember due to tread squirm & rubber softness, the 1st half of treadwear goes faster than the 2nd half.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote