Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #1

Test drove a 981 today...

I got to do a quick drive in a 981 today. I sadly didn't really focus on much speed as the sales person was yacking away and there was traffic. I did get to play with PDK (definitely prefer MT still) and the steering... the latter electronic steering felt totally dead to me compared to the 986. I am used to elec steering on my 2008 Scion xD. (which is similar). Still it was surprising to me how much I noticed it. Overall the car feels bigger and more luxurious...and less raw. Looks amazing, but I was less impressed than I thought at least initially. Anyone else have this experience?

mcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcomet View Post
I got to do a quick drive in a 981 today. I sadly didn't really focus on much speed as the sales person was yacking away and there was traffic. I did get to play with PDK (definitely prefer MT still) and the steering... the latter electronic steering felt totally dead to me compared to the 986. I am used to elec steering on my 2008 Scion xD. (which is similar). Still it was surprising to me how much I noticed it. Overall the car feels bigger and more luxurious...and less raw. Looks amazing, but I was less impressed than I thought at least initially. Anyone else have this experience?
I drove one when they were introduced. I have similar feelings about the car.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #3

There was one in the parking lot at my office today and up close the headlights really bothered me. They look very Mitsubishi or something.

However you feel about the 986 headlights, the first time I saw them I was like that is very Porsche.
fusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionist View Post
There was one in the parking lot at my office today and up close the headlights really bothered me. They look very Mitsubishi or something.

However you feel about the 986 headlights, the first time I saw them I was like that is very Porsche.
1st time I saw the 986 litronics I liked them & still do. They allow more unbroken beautiful paint in the color of your choice without interruptions less pleasing than the beautiful paint.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I've yet to get behind the wheel of one myself, but considering what I see you have in your signature, I think you have one of the best vintages of the car that could be desired, so it will always be hard to top.

I will say, though, that I do like the layout of the interior for a car with the kind of price the Boxster now carries, but I still have a higher appreciation for the more spartan setup of my early 986 since I'm not just looking to boulevard cruise.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Did you drive an 981S or regular 981? My wife and I drove a 981S and overall we were both very impressed with its performance. Also, I think it looks more exotic than a 986 or 987. The steering didn't really bother me. My main issue was the interior seemed more like what I'd expect on an Audi than a Porsche. A friend who owns a 2011 Boxster Spyder, also drove a 981S and thought it was really impressive, and he liked the interior more than I did. However, he thought his Spyder still felt more agile, and he preferred the back end treatment of the Spyder.
Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #7

I drove the 981S... since the base is similar to my 03S definitely want a 981S. I really didn't get a good drive as it was sort of spur of the moment not much time and a fair bit of traffic. I plan to go back. I agree with the Audi comment. The interior felt really refined and posh... not that it's bad... but less of a raw or spartan feel to it.
mcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #8

Quote:
I drove the 981S... since the base is similar to my 03S definitely want a 981S. I really didn't get a good drive as it was sort of spur of the moment not much time and a fair bit of traffic. I plan to go back. I agree with the Audi comment. The interior felt really refined and posh... not that it's bad... but less of a raw or spartan feel to it.
My friend with a Boxster Spyder, thought the interior looks more upscale on the 981S. My issue is not about it looking more refined, but that the buttons, vents, etc, look like they are from Audi. Audi makes some good products, but I don't want an interior that looks like and makes me feel like I'm in an Audi. It wouldn't be enough to stop me from buying one if I got to that point, but I don't love how the interior looks.
Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #9

You know Porsche has really been emphasizing large elaborate consoles of late in Boxster's and 911's.

When you think about it,they are not needed as both of the cars don't have front engine placement.

Room could be spared and the whole interior would be roomier.

Look at the pure 911.550A Spyders and 914's.

Just my 2 cents worth.
litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionist View Post

Agreed. And I don't want to rain on anyone's parade; however, the 981 looks too much like the Toyota Spyder. I understand the need to evolve the series, but not if it makes it look like a 15 year-old Toyota.
darknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #11

Please, please keep telling me that the 981 is not as fun as a 986. It's the only thing keeping my desire for one of them in check

I really think Porsche knocked this design out of the park, it's absolutely gorgeous.

Dr.Strangepork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:34 AM   #12

I'd go drive a 08ish 911 instead for the same money if your in the mood to drop +50k. You could probably get a convertible at that price if you want.
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #13
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
My friend with a Boxster Spyder, thought the interior looks more upscale on the 981S. My issue is not about it looking more refined, but that the buttons, vents, etc, look like they are from Audi. Audi makes some good products, but I don't want an interior that looks like and makes me feel like I'm in an Audi. It wouldn't be enough to stop me from buying one if I got to that point, but I don't love how the interior looks.
Well, considering they're now fully and clearly owned by VAG, there's likely no escaping that. I'm waiting for them to drop their jack-of-all-trades 2.0T into a Porsche vehicle (likely the baby Boxster everyone keeps yapping about), and I'm sure if that's meant to land under the Boxster's price somewhere in the $30k-40k range, it's going to have some of the cheaper cars' stuff in it.

The thing that bugs me about the Cayenne, especially the lower end models, is that it's really just a VW Touareg with Porsche styling, badges, and and extra $30k tacked onto the price for that reason, while not necessarily being worth that increase. I don't think that will ever make sense for me, and very little is done to hide the origins of the car.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 04-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #14

Many of the switches and other parts on the original 986 were also sourced from VW and frankly, I find the quality of the switches (and the interior materials in general) in the 981 to be far superior. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to me the 981 is a very attractive car. Yes, it loses the historical references to the original 550 Spyder that existed in the 986, but to my eye it is a beautifully executed, modern design for a mid-engined sports car. Not as unique, but certainly attractive.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknight View Post
Agreed. And I don't want to rain on anyone's parade; however, the 981 looks too much like the Toyota Spyder. I understand the need to evolve the series, but not if it makes it look like a 15 year-old Toyota.
Oh! I googled the Spyder and you're right, it really does look like the new Boxster.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Strangepork View Post
Please, please keep telling me that the 981 is not as fun as a 986. It's the only thing keeping my desire for one of them in check

I really think Porsche knocked this design out of the park, it's absolutely gorgeous.

Yes, do not drive a 981 S, particluarly with SPort Chrono in Sport Plus(?) mode on a bit of road with long runs and tight turns.
It's terrible. I mean you'll just hate it. It's like driving a old lady's car.

p.s.
Those MR2 doors still have not grown on me. And the size of the wheels is kind of ridiculous. The wheel well opening is now so big that you have to have 20" wheels on the car, and anything in the 18" zone is going to look weird. That situation is going to limit tire choice and you're going to pay through the nose for just that one extra inch of rubber...total racket. The Panamera rear end is growing on me and the Ferrari California-esque front end is imho the best looking Porsche front end of any car. I just hope they strip down that Panamera/Panamera Coupe (aka Carrera) interior in an RS version. It's simply not a sports car interior. VW just decided to make all Porsche interiors the same as Audi yuppie mobile interiors.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 04-22-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #17

981 vs Toyota MR2 Spyder - Spot the Difference!

Yes that's right. The 981 is the one with the red seats!

Joking aside I do find myself double take when I catch one of the Spyder's drive by, thinking i might be missing out on getting a glimpse of a 981.. but sadly not.

I think its the headlights or something..

My local Porsche dealer has offered me a test drive in the new Cayman, following the launch event i attended back in March... going to see if I can get a drive in a 981 while I'm there too!

Probably the only time I'll ever get to drive one!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #18
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstar View Post
Many of the switches and other parts on the original 986 were also sourced from VW....
I'm finding that out. My first hint at that was when I was told my ignition switch was an Audi part. I was kind of surprised at first, but then I realized just how much of the car is VW-sourced here and there, and saw that throughout their history they've had no qualms about dipping into VW/Audi for hardware (914, 924, etc.). At least hopefully now if they about sourcing even more of the car from the other two brands, it doesn't do much to compromise the quality. If it improves it though, sweet!

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 04-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #19

^ last I checked VW's ranking on reliability was pretty lacklustre. Unlike Porsche, they have many models that are daily drivers. Though priced similarly to Honda's and some nicer Toyotas and Nissans they were well behind those Japanese cars.
Porsche got a high ranking, right behind Lexus, but that's only because the surveys typically track only the first three years of ownership and other than the Cayenne most Pcars are not primary vehicles. If there's a lot of VW in the 981, I don't think that's a good thing.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #20

I recently purchased a touareg lux and think its number two in its class wi the cayenne being number one. The interior in the car is great better than the Audi q5/q7 and mercedes ml350. I thought the cayenne was a tad nicer. Vw's have a rep of not being the most reliable, but my touareg has been great so far. Funny thing is that so many parts are carry overs from the cayenne, transmission, motor, brakes, basic body design. Best thing about my touareg I got a 51k car for 42k while the cayenne was going to run me about 60k granted it had a few more options. I got a huge discount on a 2012 touareg, while porsche wasn't giving more than 2-3 off.