Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #41
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcomet View Post
I've been following all the replies. While there my be some similarities between the 981 and other cars, trust me I don't think they will ever be mistaken when seen in the flesh.
Unfortunately, I've had exactly that happen, and with an MR2 Spyder. "Hey, look, it's another car just like yours" (pointing to a silver MR2-S). People who aren't into cars as much as folks like us (and there's many more of them than us) or know a particular car's distinguishing attributes from another in a split-second won't readily see the differences. Plenty of times I get the "well, I don't know that stuff about cars! It looks the same!", and that happens with numerous cars, not just the Boxster/MR2 fiasco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstar View Post
Especially from the rear, I just don't get the 1999-2007 MR2 versus 981 comparisons. Yes, both are mid-engined 'spyders' and consequently there are bound to be a number of similarites in terms of overall design and packaging. But the 981 has much more rounded (and to my eye, attractive) lines to the front air intakes, front shape of the hood, headlights, wheel arches, side air intakes and especially, rear fender/tail light forms....

....Frankly, I thought the previous iteration of the MR2 was much more attractive than the final one which, to my eyes, looked small and boxy. Regardless, I am pretty confident that no one is going to confuse the MR2 with the 981 up close.

Brad
Just saying, it's happened. I wish I could agree with you, though. Lots of people out there just don't pay as much attention to distinguish things like that. I can see the differences as readily as I see the similarities to the MR2 Spyder. When I first saw the face of the new Boxster it was one of the first thoughts that came to mind how much it looked like the last MR2, sadly.

And I will fully agree with you that the last "MR2" was a bust and somewhat ruined the name of the two cars that came before it. It had the same engine as my Corolla, tuned up with a tiny hp bump, and everywhere else in the world but the US it was just called the MR Spyder and wasn't truly tied to the previous two generations of MR2. The US wanted to use the familiarity of the MR2 name to help sales, which it didn't really do. I like the first two MR2 generations, some of my favorite cars. The MR Spyder...no. And then to have it confused with my Boxster just adds to my dislike.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #42

^ yep. You can argue that it doesn't look like an MR2 but one time I parked in this diner and left the parking light on like I usually do in dark lighting.
A guy comes in and says "Anyone drive an MR2? You left your lights on"
So I said "That's not an MR2! It's a Porsch-a Boxster S!! What are you blind???".

just kidding. I thanked the guy and explained it was a parking light.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote