Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
I suppose in reality you'd be lucky to charged less than four hours for the job. But that's why I try to avoid using shops. You rarely get charged for how long jobs really ought to take.
True dat. But, an indy, a good & fair one, will be much-much closer to actual time than some "book time". that the dealerships use. In my experience.

I have very little free time, even if I had the skills (which I don't) to do this DIY. I'd rather take a 4-5 hour drive through my favorite country roads (which I do).

Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup View Post
Water pump done, new belt installed and oil change completed. 3.5 hrs. My sone did it.. He is Master Certifed ASE mechanic.. When changing water pump only drained about 1.5 gallons of coolant. Added it back , ran motor and heater till hot, opened vent added 1/2 gallon of distiller water to top it off...

Pump had some play, belt was ready to break, idles were all good.. Top one could be replaced but didn't have one on hand... And the bolt is soo long, sheesh, thought the rear bumper was on the end of it... How to you get that bolt out anyway, it hits the inner wall???

Anyway, Loy's quieter now, popped the new glass windowed top and went for a nice ride in the lakes region.. Almost 65 degrees today.

Perfect!

Pup
Good job, Pup. Keep an eye on the coolant level the new few drives. In the morning, when she's cold, top off as necessary, until the level stabilizes. It may take a cup here, a cup there.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:11 AM   #23

Remember a shop has to account for ALL time involved. That includes drop off/pickup of the car, paperwork, ordering parts, jockeying cars around, etc. Actual "wrench time" is only a portion of the job.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #24

Surely any drop-off and pickup are separate charges, not rolled into the labour charge?

Paperwork should not be part of the charge. When you buy an hour of someone's time, that doesn't include them invoicing you. If they're even remotely efficient at ordering parts, it will add but a few minutes. Same goes for moving cars around.

Moreover, moving cars around is their problem, not yours as a customer. What next? Charge you labour hours for the time is takes to clean up the shop at the end of the day? Charge you for their travel costs home at the end of the day?

I know it's not easy to make money and there are large overheads running a shop. But in my experience standard practice is to exaggerate the hours involved pretty dramatically and I don't like that.

Would far prefer they were all more honest and quoted a higher hourly rate.

Fortunately, if you hunt around you will find one or two who do bill just for what they do.

Last edited by pothole; 04-28-2013 at 07:43 AM.
pothole is offline   Reply With Quote