Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #1

anyone ever replace the PCV valve?

Yep I've blown a second AOS this week in less then 2500 miles. Some have suggest the PCV valve might not work and increasing pressure handle by the AOS, thu breaking it again.
Solution would be to change the PCV valve at the same time as AOS, but it look like a hell of a job to reach it.
Anyone ever change it? any tip on how to do it?

thanks
Chris

wawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
Yep I've blown a second AOS this week in less then 2500 miles. Some have suggest the PCV valve might not work and increasing pressure handle by the AOS, thu breaking it again.
Solution would be to change the PCV valve at the same time as AOS, but it look like a hell of a job to reach it.
Anyone ever change it? any tip on how to do it?

thanks
Chris
Have you checked your oil scavenger pumps? I thought those could contribute to this issue.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #3

I have not open the pump, but i have check the installation orientation and they are right.
Changing the AOS is the easy part lol, finding why it's broken again seam to be the real challenge!

Later
Chris
Old 04-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
I am my own mechanic....

Oil fill perfect?
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #5

Yes oil level was good

Chris
Old 04-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #6

or take that testdrive and then trade it in as is:dance:
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #7

Wow what an afternoon, lots of stuff done that I will talk in an other thread, but about the PCV valve. I've worked over an hour trying to get it off and I succeed! I dont know how I will put a new one in, but thats an other story!

So If I understant it well, the PCV valve is a spring loaded ball bearing that open at a certain amount of pressure. well mine seam to be stuck quite well. I've been able to unstuck it but it does not seam to move so freely. I dont know if that will help for the AOS but sure it should be better if the PCV valve is properly fonctionning!

Later all
Chris

P.S. dont ask how I did get it out, too complicated, I'll just say I did it tru the firewall opening.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #8
1999 base

Garage
Hi Chris.
You might find this thread interesting/helpful:
Question on Boxster Air Oil Separator - Pelican Parts Technical BBS
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #9

Thanks Meir

I saw that thread, I even revived it hoping there was something new about it.

Later all
Chris
Old 04-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #10

I just changed my AOS less than 10k miles ago and its blowing oil again into the manifold again... i'm thinking the PVC valve might be the reason?

Question... if a bad PVC is the reason my AOS is blowing oil and I fix the PVC, do I need to also replace the AOS again? Or will that operate normal once the PVC/vac problem subsides?
bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #11

Hi

I think you need to change the AOS anyway because from what I understand it's a diaphragm inside that break.

I just change the PCV valve and AOS and all is running good right now, I hope it will last this time.

Later
Chris
Old 04-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Hi

I think you need to change the AOS anyway because from what I understand it's a diaphragm inside that break.

I just change the PCV valve and AOS and all is running good right now, I hope it will last this time.

Later
Chris
Probably a good idea to do both I guess...
On a scale of 1-10... How hard is the PVC? Harder than the AOS? Ive done that... It was a bit of a pita...
Old 04-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #13

PCV valve, I would say as hard as the AOS the first time. Its just so tight in there. Hardest part I think was reconnecting the hose to the PCV valve.

later
Chris
Old 04-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #14

Quote:
PCV valve, I would say as hard as the AOS the first time. Its just so tight in there. Hardest part I think was reconnecting the hose to the PCV valve.

later
Chris
Is it easier with the manifold removed? I did the AOS with it on before, but if it makes it easier to change both by taking off the manifold ill probably do that... Not sure if that's even a good idea?

Thanks for the input...
Old 04-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #15

Its probably easy with the manifold removed, but I defenitly didnt want to remove it.

Later
Chris
Old 05-10-2015, 10:29 AM   #16

Garage
pcv

I accessed the PCV with the firewall panel and the engine cover removed. There was evidence of oil on the manifold top around the PCV. I cleaned the PCV with carb cleaner and the spring loaded valve seemed to be working ok after the cleaning.

I worked from behind the drivers seat to remove the PCV. Thru the firewall, I had to disconnect an electrical connection and remove a bracket and carefully move a hose out of the way but the part was not too too bad to remove. I reached both thru the firewall and down thru the open upper engine cover. Going down thru the upper engine cover, you'll need long extensions for your 1/4 drive sockets to loosen the bolt holding the PCV. As always, the stupid two tab squeeze fitting was a mother to release.

To reattach the PCV, I used a long extendable magnetic "wand" or part grabber to put the bolt holding the PCV in place back in the threaded hole.

It is a hard to get at part.

Last edited by rem503; 05-26-2015 at 01:18 AM.
rem503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:46 PM   #17

Garage
I found this thread intriguing, I did not know there was a PCV valve on these motors. I have replaced the AOS four times on the Jӓgermobile over the years so I decided to search, remove, and inspect the PCV today. Thanks to wawa and rem503 I was able to find and remove the valve.

It was definitely plugged-up on the spring valve side, I could not get air to move in or out of that side of the valve. I placed it in Mystery Oil for about an hour, hit with some carburetor cleaner, then I soaked it in Mystery Oil again for about 30 minutes. After cleaning I could get pressured air to flow through the spring valve.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
I found this thread intriguing, I did not know there was a PCV valve on these motors. I have replaced the AOS four times on the Jӓgermobile over the years so I decided to search, remove, and inspect the PCV today. Thanks to wawa and rem503 I was able to find and remove the valve.

It was definitely plugged-up on the spring valve side, I could not get air to move in or out of that side of the valve. I placed it in Mystery Oil for about an hour, hit with some carburetor cleaner, then I soaked it in Mystery Oil again for about 30 minutes. After cleaning I could get pressured air to flow through the spring valve.
Why not just replace it, it is a $20 part at retail............
Old 05-24-2015, 07:37 AM   #19

Pcv..?

JFP, how often does the PCV valve has to be replaced..?

I am on my third AOS (80k) and after reading this post, it seems that this could be cause for the short lived AOS.

I already bought the two accordion hoses that connect to the AOS, perhaps may be a good idea to buy the PCV valve and replace it at the same time.

Question: Does the lower accordion hose connects the AOS with the PCV valve..?

Thanks in advance!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
JFP, how often does the PCV valve has to be replaced..?

I am on my third AOS (80k) and after reading this post, it seems that this could be cause for the short lived AOS.

I already bought the two accordion hoses that connect to the AOS, perhaps may be a good idea to buy the PCV valve and replace it at the same time.

Question: Does the lower accordion hose connects the AOS with the PCV valve..?

Thanks in advance!
We do it when they start to look nasty, or to stick. If someone has suffered and AOS failure with lots of oil in the intake system, we always change them out after cleaning everything else.