Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #21
Rennzenn

Garage
I've built my 986 for me, unless I'm living in a tent, it will be mine. Now shopping for a C4 s a daily driver.

j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #22

Maybe, but I doubt it.
Had a lot of fun with my Boxster, but time to move on.
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #23

I was under the impression that the 981 manual blips the throttle on downshift. I can confirm it does so on the PDK.

My manual 981 does not blip the throttle on downshift (even in sport mode), but it may be attached to a package I don't have.
Boxster_S_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
I've built my 986 for me, unless I'm living in a tent, it will be mine. Now shopping for a C4 s a daily driver.
I too have been contemplating a nice 996 or 997 C4S for a DD down the road when all the kids are gone.

I will probably hold onto the current P-Car for quite awhile if not forever, couldn't think of what I'd replace it with if I did sell it.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #25

Oddly,my continued/future Box ownership will depend on my desire/ability to keep a fun daily driver such a my current 97 Jeep Wrangler road ready.To me, total Box ownership costs and efforts include the cost for 2 cars as I would not want to have the Box as my DD.
litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #26

Yes, there will always be a p-car in my life with finances and health permitting. I have had ample chances to sell my boxster, but never could part with it in the past 11 years.

We have since added a couple more cars, My wife has a mini clubman and I just bought a saleen mustang. With 7 vehicles, the boxster is still one of my faves. The only other Porsches that I would like to replace my boxster is a boxster Spyder or 997gt3.
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:54 AM   #27

Sam C, sorry your experience with the Boxster did not meet your expectations. I don't know the specifics of your car, but it is a little unfair to owners of other Boxsters to suggest that the "only benefit is the artificially inflated sense of self-worth." Most of our egos don't need stroking either!

You say that you can get higher driving satisfaction for less money, but history suggests that you are wrong. When the 986 was introduced the reviews were virtually unanimous - it was one of the best handling, best balanced sports cars of all time and a relative bargain. The reviews for the new 981 are essentially the same: they are at the top of their class and tremendous bang for the buck. The handling, braking, acceleration, top speed, and yes the glorious exhaust note all contribute to an incredible driving experience.

If someone buys a new Boxster, you get a cutting-edge car at a reasonable price and you get the benefit of a factory warranty. For those of us who purchase used, care must be taken. We must understand that while used Boxsters can be had for less than many economy cars, they are decidedly not economy cars and the cost of maintenance can be quite high. We must also keep in mind that some of these cars (the 986's) are now between 9.5 and 16.5 years old! Its not just the mileage, but age that contributes to wear and tear on any automobile.

Parts are expensive - although they are not cheap for an old Mercedes or BMW either. One cannot expect the parts costs for a relatively limited-production vehicle that originally cost 3 X that of a Toyota Camry (if not more) to cost the same to maintain.

Sadly, I suspect that many have bought used Boxsters because the initiation fee (i.e., initial purchase price) is now incredibly low for what the car delivers. Many do not maintain them properly and when repairs are required (e.g., the water pump) replace them with low-priced Chinese parts that are doomed to fail even more quickly. In life, it is often true that we get what we pay for. In the case of a used Boxster, you get a low initial purchase price for such an incredibly well-balalnced and fun car, but must understand that the cost of ownership reflects that of a car that was intitially quite expensive, and is now getting quite old.

Brad

Last edited by southernstar; 04-16-2013 at 07:07 AM. Reason: sp
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #28

Garage
I certainly hope so, but If the current Boxster was to leave the stable I would hope for a reasonably priced/well loved Cayman R or a 981S.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #29
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstar View Post
Sam C, sorry your experience with the Boxster did not meet your expectations. I don't know the specifics of your car, but it is a little unfair to owners of other Boxsters to suggest that the "only benefit is the artificially inflated sense of self-worth." Most of our egos don't need stroking either!

You say that you can get higher driving satisfaction for less money, but history suggests that you are wrong. When the 986 was introduced the reviews were virtually unanimous - it was one of the best handling, best balanced sports cars of all time and a relative bargain. The reviews for the new 981 are essentially the same: they are at the top of their class and tremendous bang for the buck. The handling, braking, acceleration, top speed, and yes the glorious exhaust note all contribute to an incredible driving experience.

If someone buys a new Boxster, you get a cutting-edge car at a reasonable price and you get the benefit of a factory warranty. For those of us who purchase used, care must be taken. We must understand that while used Boxsters can be had for less than many economy cars, they are decidedly not economy cars and the cost of maintenance can be quite high. We must also keep in mind that some of these cars (the 986's) are now between 9.5 and 16.5 years old! Its not just the mileage, but age that contributes to wear and tear on any automobile.

Parts are expensive - although they are not cheap for an old Mercedes or BMW either. One cannot expect the parts costs for a relatively limited-production vehicle that originally cost 3 X that of a Toyota Camry (if not more) to cost the same to maintain.

Sadly, I suspect that many have bought used Boxsters because the initiation fee (i.e., initial purchase price) is now incredibly low for what the car delivers. Many do not maintain them properly and when repairs are required (e.g., the water pump) replace them with low-priced Chinese parts that are doomed to fail even more quickly. In life, it is often true that we get what we pay for. In the case of a used Boxster, you get a low initial purchase price for such an incredibly well-balalnced and fun car, but must understand that the cost of ownership reflects that of a car that was intitially quite expensive, and is now getting quite old.

Brad
+1 Very well said.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionist View Post
I will try to keep my 986 forever. There is something special about the design of the 986.
I agree, everything you need & nothing you don't. I believe in 10 years the 986 value will go way up for well maintained cars.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #31

Byprodiriver, while I suspect that the prices for 986's have now just about bottomed out, I'm not sure that in future they will go 'way' up. Too many were produced and they will always have the stigma of being the 'entry level Porsche' of their time.

Having said that, I do expect to see the prices rise over time for well-maintained examples and further, expect that they will ultimately be more valuable than some of the other entry level Porshce's, such as the 914, the 924 and the 944. The 914 (except the rather rare 914-6) had unmodified Volkswagen engines, pedestrian performance, dubious build quality (including flat seats, dashboard covers that were susceptible to warping and rips, etc.), useless HVAC systems and a body design that - well, let's just say it was and is an acquired taste. The 924 was boring, albeit not ugly, and made ues of an uninspiring engine from Audi. Both the 914 and 924 have the additional stigma of being VW-Porsches, as they were initially a joint project. The 944 had much more interesting and aggressive styling (to my eye) and much better performance. The handling, with a 49/51% fore/aft weight balance was exceptional for the time (I know, I owned one). However, even with all that, it has the engine in the 'wrong' place for most Porsche enthusiasts- and this is especially true since they have moved away from front engines for all of their sports cars in the last 25 years.

The 986 Boxster was purely an in-house Porsche design. Its engine is not derived from a VW or an Audi. Its body design harkens back to the famous (and in James Dean's case, infamous) Porsche 550 Spyder and with that, instant recognition as a Porsche. It is still known for one of the best engine sounds of any production sports car and I can virtually guarantee that any new 4 cylinder Baby-Boxster, or 4 cylinder Turbo Boxsters will have a very hard time equalling it.
The handling is still incredibly nimble and precise and it does so without a bone-rattling ride. The braking is still tremendous ( 4 piston calipers over front and rear vented discs and better fore/aft balance than front engine, or rear engined cars).
Road trips are more pleasurable than in many sports cars as there is decent trunk space, decent seats, better than decent HVAC and, as already mentioned, a decent ride. And its acceleration and top speed, while never breath-taking, was certainly fun and sporting. It was for many people who grew up around the millenium, the car of their dreams. And some day I believe that all of these things (and the likelihood of reasonable parts availability due to the numbers produced) will make them sought-after, if not extraordinarily valuable, collector's cars.

So yes, I plan on keeping mine. And while waiting for prices to go back up, I'll maintain her well and continue to experience pure joy every time I take her on the open road.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #32
Carnut

Well, let's see here. I had Porsches all my life in one way or another. Starting with a 356, 2 911SC, 928S, 964 C4, 964 C2, currently a Cayenne S and a my Box.

I guess it is safe to say there will always be a Porsche for me and my wife

And yes, maintenance is crucial, that's why I have a Durametric, my tools, the internet (thanks guys for all the tips!), I for one love to wrench once in a while and it keeps the cost way low!

Sometimes I do not understand the complaints about maintenance and the associated cost. Yes, parts are dear but our cars are not exactly a Corolla or Chevy, right? High performance vehicles require "better" parts.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #33

Garage
[QUOTE=southernstar;337882]Byprodiriver, while I suspect that the prices for 986's have now just about bottomed out, I'm not sure that in future they will go 'way' up. Too many were produced and they will always have the stigma of being the 'entry level Porsche' of their time.

Once the CAFE mpg laws get so ridiculous that most people will be unable to afford to buy a new Hi-performance car the value of most remaining hi-performance cars will increase especially if it has a manual transmission & more than 4 cylinders. I belive if my Box is in the same condition 10yrs from now the value will a least double. Nothing removes "stigma" like being left behind by 914s & Boxsters whether it's on the road or track!
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #34

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstar View Post

Brad
And this reminds me of something I was told a loooong time ago: "there is no such thing as a cheap Porsche".
M1NDCRlME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #35

Yes....my daughter would be terribly distraught if there was not a porsche in the garage.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #36
Vista glass

Garage
Yes. My Porsche cars have hit so many marks so well! The current unit is a treat to drive. It is affordable if $2000.00 per year is not too much, gotta pay to play. I have other interests that are way more expensive. There is a plethora of information in places such as this forum ( Thanks ya'll ) that removes any mystery to the vehicles design, engineering, and maintenance. Wrenching is challenging sometimes but rewarding. I have driven and owned other machines that simply do not supply the internal combustion induced grin that my Boxster does. I have not found any other vehicle that my Neurosurgeon will permit me to operate that can match or replace the total package that Porsche presents.

Vista glass is offline   Reply With Quote