View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #8
southernstar

Not sure. It seems that Porsche is abandoning manual transmissions as one is not even available in the new RS and there are rumblings that they will be unavailable in the rest of their models in a few years. Certainly they have made a standard transmissions much less enjoyable in the new cars: the raised console requires one to elevate your arm for shifting and reports indicate that you can hit your knuckles on the dash during upshifts! In addition, the automatic throttle blips on downshifts mean that double clutching is already done for you - eliminating the need for one of the skills that separates the men from the boys and makes mastering (and driving) a manual transmission so enjoyable, IMO.

Frankly, I guess that I will therefore become a 'vintage' car owner and will keep my current 986. Yes, I could go to a 987, but I actually prefer the lines of the original 986 and could care less about the improved creature comforts of the 987.
The only thing that might encourage me to buy a 987 would be the elimination of the IMS over the last few years; however, as mine has a dual-row bearing I am much less concerned about IMS bearing failure than I would be with a later 986, or early 987.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote