Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 04:58 AM   #21
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker View Post
Oh my! That's deflating. You'd put so much work into it. Best of luck with the settlement or abrogation.

Three years ago I parked where I always do when working out in the morning with a friend: on the curb in front of his subdivision street. Thankfully I had driven the Element that morning. You know, the bright green six-and-a-half-foot tall Element. A 16YO driver in a CR-V ran slap into the back of it with no sign of a brake ever touched. Said the sun blinded her. Thankfully nobody was hurt, but it drove my car up over the curbing, across the yard about 20 feet, and destroyed my friend's huge brick mailbox, causing both the front and rear of the Element to be totalled!

Good news? I had put 3 years and 23,000 miles on the car and they paid me $1100 less than I had paid for it. I was quite happy with the financials -- just didn't want the hassle of replacing a perfectly good Element with another one.
Nice sig line!

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:13 AM   #22
Homeboy981

Garage
Sorry to hear about your loss @thstone….just when you got it the way you wanted too. Funny that the bumper plugs are almost unscathed. How do you go about determining an amount for a car with so much of your time, sweat and blood into? And, as someone said, at least you were not in the car!

Hopefully, you will get a good settlement and find another. Knew the Lexus crowd had it in for us!
Old 03-30-2013, 06:46 AM   #23
Certified Boxster Addict

Thanks for all of the posts! Walked out and took at look at the car this morning and felt sick to my stomach.

I plan to spend part of the day making a list of all of the upgrades and finding receipts. I figure that the more documentation that I can put on the table, the better. I really don't want to know how much I've put into this car over the past 3 years!

Like many others, I bought the 986 because I liked the handling and could extensively track the car at a "reasonable" cost, not because I couldn't afford a 911. So, of course, I spent the night tossing and turning wondering where to go from here... Boxster? 996? Air cooled 911? Ferrari?
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #24

Garage
The toughest part is all of the time and effort you put into the car. It's not like some generic econobox that's used to get from A to B. Hopefully you will come out on the plus side with the insurance company. Since she was driving a Lexus she should at least have decent coverage. Good luck! Hope you have a great Easter weekend regardless!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #25

Man she could have killed someone. that's no parking incident type damage, she was fully on the throttle. Last summer I was exiting the car in a similar spot and as soon as I opened the door an old lady drove right into the barely open door. That's how close she was. no real damage but had I stepped out two seconds sooner I'd be in the back of ambulance with a shredded knee.

My father turned in his license when he hit 70. He was honest with himself and knew his vision and reaction time was not nearly what it was just a few year earlier.

cars can be replaced... good thing you weren't in the car and now dealing with a life long neck injury.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-30-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #26

Glad to hear you weren't in the car. Same thing happened to me a month ago (to a lesser extent). Fortunately, I get to drive a g37 while it's in the shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Ferrari?
See you over at FerrariChat.
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Thanks for all of the posts! Walked out and took at look at the car this morning and felt sick to my stomach.

I plan to spend part of the day making a list of all of the upgrades and finding receipts. I figure that the more documentation that I can put on the table, the better. I really don't want to know how much I've put into this car over the past 3 years!

Like many others, I bought the 986 because I liked the handling and could extensively track the car at a "reasonable" cost, not because I couldn't afford a 911. So, of course, I spent the night tossing and turning wondering where to go from here... Boxster? 996? Air cooled 911? Ferrari?
I suggest you test drive a 996 ASAP to see if you prefer it over another Boxster.
If you prefer the Boxster which many people do, formulate your strategy for buying your Box back from the Ins Co so you keep all your upgrades to install into the next car. I thinking Ins Co gives you $10K for your car & you buy it back for $1,K.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
I suggest you test drive a 996 ASAP to see if you prefer it over another Boxster.
If you prefer the Boxster which many people do, formulate your strategy for buying your Box back from the Ins Co so you keep all your upgrades to install into the next car. I thinking Ins Co gives you $10K for your car & you buy it back for $1,K.
That's good advice. If you enjoy tracking the car it would be a no brainer IMO, Boxster, especially if you could pull / transfer any upgraded parts. If you want a little more cache, much more GT in nature, water cooled 911. If you want something relatively easy to work on, still track capable and likely to hold it's value, air cooled 911.

Like I said before, make the best of the situation and enjoy the hunt.......
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #29

p.s.
post a pic from underneath if you can. Curious to see how the car fared with a full rear end impact.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #30

Garage
Not what I wanted to see this morning. Sorry for your loss. Just like everybody else said, cry, cry a little bit more, then start making plans for the next ride.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #31
recycledsixtie

Garage
Sorry for your loss. A few months from now looking back on it it should seem like a bump in the road. Hope you get a good insurance settlement.Look forward to seeing you on this forum again. You are a good contributor to the forum.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #32

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. How cool would it be if you really could get it back for ~$1k??

http://i40.tinypic.com/ei6sns.jpg
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #33

That really stinks, but I'm glad there were no significant injuries.
Surely they'll total it and I hope you can buy it back for a song and make a tidy sum selling the parts - or maybe repair it.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #34

Quote:
The heck with buying it back. The car's in his driveway. He can swap out the mods right now and let the remains RIP.

BTW thstone, sorry for your loss.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Nice sig line!
You have to admit it's true!
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #36

Garage
Damn shame. Glad to see you weren't hurt though. Keep us updated, and do get some rest.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #37

That really, really sucks.
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:37 PM   #38

Been there, totaled a '99, got the insurance settlement and bought an '01S.

What flashed through my mind was "Oh s..., I pranged a Porsche". And the new one was rear ended not 6 months later but not nearly as badly as yours.

No one hurt, you are gonna be OK.

Start shopping. Its fun.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:37 AM   #39

Garage
thstone, bad news !! but glad you're OK.. i'm sure the forum members will keep thier eyes and ears open for your new and due toy !
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:08 AM   #40

That silver over cocoa 2012 Spyder on eBay right now that I've been drooling over for three weeks (it keeps getting relisted) would certainly be in my garage if I suddenly had an excuse. 6mt, mileage not bad, lots of options...

NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote