Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #1

star bit or torx screw porsche just makes it so difficult

So I got my new caliper bolts and guess what, they use the star bit or the torx screw bit of 10mm. So now I am have to find a 10mm bit and most hardware stores carry the smaller sizes. Any suggestions where I could get a good set for cheep and decent quality. checked harbor fright, sears, and some other places.

Also why would porsche change its design from the hex bolt to the star bit? Just makes everything harder.

Last edited by Bmod986; 04-09-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #2

Because of the torque on these bolts, you really don't want a "cheap set". Suggest Snap-On.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #3

+1 on that suggestion!
Old 03-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmod986 View Post
So I got my new caliper bolts and guess what, they use the star bit or the torx screw bit of 10mm. So now I am have to find a 10mm bit and most hardware stores carry the smaller sizes. Any suggestions where I could get a good set for cheep and decent quality. checked harbor fright, sears, and some other places.

Also why would porsche change its design from the hex bolt to the star bit? Just makes everything harder.
TENG tools are good.
derfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #5

Garage
I used HF thru all rebuild process
No complains
Just get best stuff they have
Impact sockets are brutally strong
golonaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #6

+1 on why Porsche makes it so difficult! All the other manufacturers seem to do just fine with ordinary hex.
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:45 AM   #7

Not true. I had to buy a Torx screwdriver just so I could change the headlight on my '84 Parisienne. Before that, I'd never even heard of Torx and I was more than a little stumped when I encountered this weird star-shaped fastener. I distinctly remember thinking...wtf did they do that for??
Old 03-30-2013, 06:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_c6 View Post
+1 on why Porsche makes it so difficult! All the other manufacturers seem to do just fine with ordinary hex.
We just did the front brakes on a restored 1989 Cadillac Sedan de Ville for a customer, the OEM front calipers bolts were T-50 Torx.........
Old 03-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #9

Hey JFP a T50 is understandable you can pick those up almost anywhere and its the american measurement, the porsche bolts are in metric and they are quiet beefer then a T50 tried a T60 and it still was too small.

Also fun side fact these bolts were made in Italy.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Hey JFP a T50 is understandable you can pick those up almost anywhere and its the american measurement, the porsche bolts are in metric and they are quiet beefer then a T50 tried a T60 and it still was too small.

Also fun side fact these bolts were made in Italy.
They are probably a triple square (XZN), Porsche uses several of these on their cars:

And just a fun "by-the-by", a 1989 Cadillac is metric.................

Last edited by JFP in PA; 03-30-2013 at 10:25 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #11

Torx is neither American (SAE) nor metric - it's just Torx

Here's a guide that may help you out:

Last edited by Mark_T; 03-30-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #12

JFP I did not know that that cadi used metric measurements. But I thought that the T ratings were based on the american system instead of the S.I. units. Thats why the measurements in millimeters is not rounded in the chart that Mark T posted. Also Mark is that chart accurate because I will need to look at the T60 again if its 13mm but all the ones I tried were too small and thanks for posting the chart Mark. I will post the picture of the bolt hopefully by tonight to get some clarity. The bolt head has inscribed in it 10.9

Last edited by Bmod986; 03-30-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:43 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
JFP I did not know that that cadi used metric measurements. But I thought that the T ratings were based on the american system instead of the S.I. units. Thats why the measurements in millimeters is not rounded in the chart that Mark T posted. Also Mark is that chart accurate because I will need to look at the T60 again if its 13mm but all the ones I tried were too small and thanks for posting the chart Mark. I will post the picture of the bolt hopefully by tonight to get some clarity. The bolt head has inscribed in it 10.9
You'll find torx on GM product dating back to late 1990's and metric fasteners in most GM autos and trucks after 2000. and there will be a mix of both standard and metric.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:22 PM   #14

so update with pics of new bolts
they are t55 with a little bit of play. So if you order from suncoast these are the bolts you get. sorry for the bad quality for the first pic.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:38 AM   #15

As a crazy idea... can't this kind of ridiculousness be overcome by replacing the Porsche parts with something a little more standard (like good old fashioned hex)?

I only ask because brakes are on the list for me and I'm so fed up with this notion that ever single fastener has to be some special, one off item that I'll be GD if I'm going to spend another GD Saturday running all over GD town looking another GD special tool or odd sized whatnot because Porsche is way too special to just get with the program and simplify their frunking shift.

I'm just saying...

In short, no more special tools for me. If I cant use a good old fashioned metric socket set, I'll just continue replacing fasteners until I can. Enough is enough.

Last edited by sam c.; 04-10-2013 at 01:40 AM.
sam c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
You'll find torx on GM product dating back to late 1990's and metric fasteners in most GM autos and trucks after 2000. and there will be a mix of both standard and metric.
Late 1980's GM cars were already a mix of metric and SAE, some (like the 89 caddy) were already nearly all metric....
Old 04-10-2013, 05:51 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam c. View Post
In short, no more special tools for me. If I cant use a good old fashioned metric socket set, I'll just continue replacing fasteners until I can. Enough is enough.
If you don't have the "special tools," how are you going to be able to remove them in the first place?

I do understand the rant though as it would be convenient if everything that we worked on could be accomplished using a basic $100 Craftsman tool set.
darknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:00 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknight View Post
If you don't have the "special tools," how are you going to be able to remove them in the first place?

I do understand the rant though as it would be convenient if everything that we worked on could be accomplished using a basic $100 Craftsman tool set.
Magic! Or borrowing them from autozone... Really, one or the other.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #19

Wait til you replace the clutch--the bolts are all metric except 1-- a 10 mm triple square!!! a real doosy I must say and I can see why they needed to put it there!
I have restored three Toyota pick ups and all I needed was a 10,12,and a 13 MM socket as well as a Philips screwdriver. SIMPLICITY.

Last edited by woodsman; 04-10-2013 at 11:35 AM.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #20

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/43775-winter-mini-overhaul-complete.html

Yeah, pretty ridiculous. Took me 6 hrs to find that triple square and then I had to buy an entire set to get it. And then had to cut the bit in half to get it to fit. You're so awesome, Porsche.