Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

View Poll Results: How do you drive your vehicle on a day to day basis?
Super aggressive. Redline at every stoplight, tires squealing every corner. 0 0%
Aggressive. Kill every corner that's green. Drive past speed limit. 31 54.39%
Conservative. Mostly obey speed limit. Corner hard once in a while. 26 45.61%
Old-man conservative. Always obey speed limit. Let people enjoy the view of your car. 0 0%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #1

How do you drive?

I know that I am of the younger, more reckless (stupid?) crowd on here. But recently, my new girlfriend tells me that she absolutely abhors my driving.

I drive quite aggressive. I won't race anyone on the straights (we drive Boxsters, after all), and I don't peel off at red lights (unless I'm having a bad day or something)... But I heel-toe at every given opportunity and push the grip of my tires to the limit.

So, amongst my brethren here, how do you drive your vehicles?

Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #2

You're an accident waiting to happen. Take it to the track!
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #3

But my cornering is actually very safe! I daresay it's a safer way of turning than regular driving!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono0001 View Post
I know that I am of the younger, more reckless (stupid?) crowd on here. But recently, my new girlfriend tells me that she absolutely abhors my driving.

I drive quite aggressive. ..... push the grip of my tires to the limit.......
We're all capable of being stupid at any given moment, but pushing your tires to their limit whenever you can is probably going to get you hurt, or worse yet, hurt someone else.

Here's the antidote to your need for speed.
Get on a track and you'll learn whether all that street skill translates into real driving skill.
Track time helps to relieve the impulse to drive hard on the street.
Give it 1 try and I promise you will drive less aggressively on the street.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #5

Yea, track driving is where it's at.

I used to drive like an asshat on the street. Then I started doing legit racing, and you quickly learn that the adrenaline rush that lasts for 30-45 minutes at a time on the track just cannot ever be matched on the street without nearly killing yourself or someone else, and simply isn't even worth trying to do.

So now I drive pretty conservatively, will usually go past the speed limit on the highway, but otherwise a very safe driver. However on the track (or rally stage) I am pushing my race car as hard as it will go.
MConte05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #6

before driving instruction, probably like you.

After driving insruction, very conservative.

Most cars on the highway pass me as I try to maintain space in front so that I have time to react to nonsense up ahead. If folks are doing parallels on the highway I back off and move over to the slow lanes as well. That's the irony. Those who don't know how to drive (other than in straight line) are usually going 100 mph in the fast lane. Those who are well aware of just how few people know how to drive their high horsepower sedans and SUVS at those speeds back off far away. The greater your skill, the less you limit your escape routes from their antics.

public roads are not the place to test the limits of the car. The tires are there for when others force you to test them. That's why the piston Gods gave us a cheap affordable form of racing called autocross. Cheaper than the track and safe autocrossers make for safer track drivers.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-26-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #7

I know this is kind of thread-jacking my own thread. Please continue to answer the poll but...

What kind of preparation do you have to do for your car on the track? New rotors and pads? Different set of wheels with tires? How much does a day at the track cost, approximately?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #8

Quote:
I know this is kind of thread-jacking my own thread. Please continue to answer the poll but...

What kind of preparation do you have to do for your car on the track? New rotors and pads? Different set of wheels with tires? How much does a day at the track cost, approximately?
you should do plenty of autocross before you do your first DE at the track.
Getting out agression isn't really something for a track novice. The worst that happens with misdirected aggression in an autocross is you knock over a few cones, have one of your lap times thrown out and miss out on a $5 made in China trophy. Misdirected aggression at the track can turn your Boxster into a sardine can in two blinks of an eye.
No special preparation to your car necessary for autocross. No special tires recommended when starting out (get novice mistakes done on cheap tires). Total cost for the day? $40-$50. String together 10-12 days of that and you're a 10x's better driver than 98% of the sports car driving public.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-26-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
you should do plenty of autocross before you do your first DE at the track.
Getting out agression isn't really something for a track novice. The worst that happens with misdirected aggression in an autocross is you knock over a few cones, have one of your lap times thrown out and miss out on a $5 made in China trophy. Misdirected aggression at the track can turn your Boxster into a sardine can in two blinks of an eye.
No special preparation to your car necessary for autocross. No special tires recommended when starting out (get novice mistakes done on cheap tires). Total cost for the day? $40-$50. String together 10-12 days of that and you're a 10x's better driver than 98% of the sports car driving public.
Wow. That's not bad at all!!
Yea, I didn't know the difference between Auto-X and track. I will definitely look into it!

You guys need to answer the polls! Lots of comments veering conservative, but so far the votes veer (haha) aggressive.

Last edited by Crono0001; 03-26-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #10

Garage
Never knew about these. Searching Chicago area and I think I should have my car back together by April 28th.

http://pca-chicago.org/downloads/2013/PCACRAutocrossSchool.pdf

I'm looking forward to this.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #11

join your local PCA and SCCA or NASA if there is one. Some join all three and autocross every single weekend. They all have forums about their local autocross events. You'll have all the information you could ask for in less than an hour. Must get hot where you are. Bring a hat, long sleeve dri-fit and SPF 30. I get suburn just out here in NJ. The blacktop in those lots reflect a truckload of UV rays and heat. Makes for nice slippery road tires...
Once you've gotten all the novice mistakes out of the way you can bring your girlfriend and she'll think you are a born natural.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-26-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #12

I chose aggressive on the poll but I drive more of a passive aggressive way. I never tail gate because thats just a Dck move and just dangerous, I dont weave through traffic because that scares people and scared people are dangerous, If im going to over take some one then I do it slowly enough so that they have a chance to see me, and I don't drift on public roads. So what do I do? I do find my self speeding often but only if the conditions are right and if I find the situation to be safe. If I know the roads Im on, then I am more confident but still cautious. I love to corner hard.

You can be the best driver in the world but that "girl in that honda texting her ass off" is what you should worry about. And the police, Gotta watch out for them.

I can say its all about the balance. And snow drifting in empty lots, that is all.

By the way Perfectlap what part of jersey are you in? I thing I have seen your car before in the clifton area.

Last edited by Bmod986; 03-26-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #13

I don't think I'm good enough to get my tires to slide.

And this poll has nothing to do with the stupidity involved in racing/tailgating. It's more of a "how do you treat your boxster on the street" kind of poll.

I won't lie though. If something tries to follow me through a corner, I try my best to lose him. And I've beaten a Corvette on occasion.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:38 AM   #14

I was once instigated by an audi s4 and I didn't want to let up so we went at it for a bit on the road and then when we reached the city entrance we pulled up next to each other and exchanged thumbs up and went our separate ways. Didn't know the guy but we had some fun. It was really controlled I lead then we switched positon and just kept up with each other.
Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #15

Quote:
I don't think I'm good enough to get my tires to slide.
at an Autocross they'll slide all right.

Regular street tires, at the limit, break EASILY on the sharp turns of a typical autocross. That's part of the learning curve, anyone can go fast on r-comps. Over-confidence on cheap street tires is one reason why so many sports cars end up in the junk yard crusher.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-26-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmod986 View Post
I think I have seen your car before in the clifton area.
You must have seen me at the Costco there. I otherwise avoid the traffic of that whole route 3 area.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #17

In city traffic I drive like a little old lady. I don't take chances because all it takes is one idiot at an intersection to really mess you and your car up.

The freeway, however, is a different matter. As long as its clear, I wll go up to around 100 mph and I will use all the lanes of the freeway on the corners. But trafific has gotten so bad here in the last few years, I can rarely go fast, so I go to the track every once in a while for a dose of speed.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #18

I think everyone missed the most obvious point here. You need a new girlfriend, amigo!
Old 03-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #19

Quote:

I drive quite aggressive. I won't race anyone on the straights (we drive Boxsters, after all), and I don't peel off at red lights (unless I'm having a bad day or something)... But I heel-toe at every given opportunity and push the grip of my tires to the limit.

So, amongst my brethren here, how do you drive your vehicles?
+1 TRACK

What you are doing on the public roads is not even 2/10's of what we do at the track.
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #20

Quote:
And I've beaten a Corvette on occasion.
:ah::ah::ah:

Most of us driving to work or going to get groceries have no desire to wreck our cars, or get a ticket, or are even in any mood to compete. What you think might be someone trying to race you, may just be an awesome driver going about his or her business. I get that all the time on on/off ramps, I take the line like I am programmed to (tracking for close to 10 years now), and people automatically think I am trying to race...sorry, no desire, but I will gladly see you at the track.

My Vette eats GT3's and everything else on the track. At my level with only race pads and Hoosiers R6's on my Vette (stock suspension, stock motor, etc), only the GT3RS, F430, and some 911 Cup cars can give me a good run for my money.

Go to the track, you will be humbled by someone in a Miata, F-body or Fox body, or even an 80's Honda or Toyota.

06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote