Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #1

Just used a clay bar for the first time ever on my 2000. I used the Meguiars kit. It removed a lot of stuff, especially the hood and rear deck. I used a whole bar from the kit and had to fold and kneed it a few times per panel. I also probably went through about half the bottle of detail spray. I was amazed at how smooth the finish was afterwards and it did not take very long, maybe 1/2 hour total which included doing a few sections twice.
teleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #2

Garage
Finally was able to put the clay bar on the car Sunday. On the Arctic Silver, I did not notice much difference in appearance. But to the touch, it was night and day.

First I washed the car. First wash of the year. Then I applied the Mother's claybar with the Mother's detail spray. At first it did not feel like anything was happening and I was starting to feel like a schmuck rubbing a piece of clay on my car. But after sliding my hand on applied and non-applied surfaces there was a huge difference. Then I washed it again. I heard there were two theories about whether to wash it after the claybar, so I just washed it anyway. Then I applied some Zymol car wax (I don't know what the "good" wax is, and this bottle looked the coolest so that is what I bought.

Car looks amazing. Better than it has looked in my 18 months of ownership. I'm very happy with how it looks on a 16 year old paint job.

Now I just have to figure out the right stuff to clean the top. It's very grey-ish and I'm not sure if that is just dust and dirt or just sun fading. Probably a little of both. I only need to clean the front section of the top as I'm not planning on putting the top up for quite a while. I love Chicago summers.

ETA: I'll get some pics up tomorrow.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBeerToad View Post
Now I just have to figure out the right stuff to clean the top. It's very grey-ish and I'm not sure if that is just dust and dirt or just sun fading. Probably a little of both. I only need to clean the front section of the top as I'm not planning on putting the top up for quite a while. I love Chicago summers.

ETA: I'll get some pics up tomorrow.
The Ragg Topp kit is very good 303 has a good product, too.

Prior to winter hibernation, I used the Ragg Topp cleaner and a quality Swiss cleaning brush. Then, this past weekend (7 months later....you only need to wait a day or two to make sure its very-very dry) I applied 3 medium coats (entire can) of the Ragg Topp protectant. Great results. I've done this every other year since 2006.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote