Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 07:19 AM   #1

Proper Way to Wash a Porsche?

I saw this in keysguy's Yearly Maintenance thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas951 View Post
Funny you mentioned this. My wife took the car in one for a Warranty repair. As she was about to pickup the car the Service Manager said they are about to take the car for a wash. Luckily my wife was on the phone with me. I said "Do not let them wash the car".

For me I enjoy tinkering around with my cars and I would rather do most of the repairs. For Oil changes I really do not trust anyone unless i'm there watching.
So, what IS the proper way to wash a Porsche? Any tips?

Old 02-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #2

the problem with the dealer and most car wash places is that they're using dirty wash mitts and drying towels that are worn out, the wrong kind of towel or also dirty. That will induce swirling.

The right way to wash the car is to wash the car as little as possible. If you're taking it to the local car wash every week you're going to wreck the paint. If you're doing a full bucket and soapy suds wash every weekend that too isn't good. Both are overkill and increase the likelyhood of rubbing road sedminets on the paint.

The best wasy is to use a waterless wash solution like Optimum No Rinse, there are other brands of course. Pre soak the car the with the solution to allow the dirt to sofen. Have many many sponges or premium microfiber towels. As in not the kind of microfiber towels you find at your local auto parts store, Costco or WalMart. Those are janitorial towels that use the prickly/grabby hooked ends -- completely unecessary for a well maintained paint surface. Personally I use a long nap/weave towel like the kind sold by Griots or websites like packshack or chemicalguys. Keep the waterless wash solution in a clean bucket, typically one ounce of solution per gallon of clean water. Some use a second bucket of just clean water to dunk the towel or sponge with each long pass (one body panel at a time). Its a good idea to flip the towel to a clean side with each pass. Use the left over water and a soft wheel face brush to wipe down the wheels and brake calipers. Dry the car with a leaf blower ideally or a waffle weave towel (no prickly hooks like most microfiber towels). I cover each panel with a quick detail spray for lubrication while the car is still damp before I begin the towel drying. The goal of pre-soaking and spraying down the car is to increase lubrication. you never want to rub on dry paint.

If the car gets really really dirty, like in winter, use a foam gun or the old school car wash soap and buckets.
And of course no car wash soap on the canvas top. That attracts dust and leads to wear marks during top operation. Raggtopp cleaner and protectant only.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-14-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #3

Garage
A good up and down and side to side technique has always worked well for me.
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #4

Johnny:

This is how it should be:

Anybody recognize that guy?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Chick View Post
Johnny:

It's my uncle.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Chick View Post
Johnny:

It's the happy incredible Hulk! :troll:
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
It's my uncle.
Uncle Jimmy Danger?
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #8

Thanks for the tip PerfectLap !

01 986 Boxster S. Arctic Silver. 6 speed manual. IMSR/RMS.
jdiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #9
Porscheectomy

This is the proper way to wash a car if you want to prevent surface scratches.

Audi R8 BLACKBIRD: Basic Car Wash Techniques - DRIVE CLEAN - YouTube
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #10

The pics are of our favorite "rebel without an airbag", may he RIP. . .
Old 02-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
1999 base

Garage
any suggestion how to remove birds dumps from my car?
i think its about time to clean it.

Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #12

^ that happened to me once. black car. and of course it happened right after I spent several hours detailing it. Luckily the roof was not canvas.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
any suggestion how to remove birds dumps from my car?
i think its about time to clean it.

Did you know that next to Wheatgrass, bird excrement has become the latest health drink fad amongst phony celebrities ?
Old 02-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #14

Alright, an alternate point of view. First, wash the car often, getting the grime off of it and keeping the paint clean is the best thing for paint longevity.

Next the tools. I use a brush on a 4 foot pole. With this set up, I never have to crouch down to clean anything, including the wheels. The brush is very soft and retains grit much less than a wash mitt.

To dry, I start with a purpose made squeegee, Waterblade. It is very soft and does not scratch like a microfiber towel or chamois that holds grit.

Finally, the soap. I use Armor All wash and wax but any wash with wax will work. The wax really does leave a shine, but the secret is more is more, use a lot of soap. The recommended amount is an ounce per gallon, I use 3-4.

Start by rinsing that car, starting with the top and working down. Feel the paint and rinse until you feel no grit on the finish. Then use the brush to apply the soap to the painted part of the car. Do not use soap on the top, it will strip the waterproofing. I'd don't use any special cleaner for the wheel, the soap works fine since the wheels are painted and clear coated like the rest of the body.

Now, probably the most important part, the rinse. Take the nozzle off the hose and hold the hose about six inches from the body work and quickly flood the trunk and front of the car, then quickly walk around the car and rinse the sides. Here, less is more, don't worry if you see a little foam left. You can actually just stop here as the wash will be almost spot free, especially if you drive the car on the freeway right away.

For the best results, finish with the squeegee. Start with the top and use the squeegee to knock off the majority of the water. Finish with a microfiber towel to dry the glass, the door sills and and the wheels.

Once you have it down, it takes les than half an hour.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #15
Porscheectomy

I would never, ever, ever, ever touch my car with a squeegee. I want everything rubbing against my paint to be picking up debris as it runs along the car, not forcing debris into the surface.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
I would never, ever, ever, ever touch my car with a squeegee. I want everything rubbing against my paint to be picking up debris as it runs along the car, not forcing debris into the surface.
Do you think that any cloth or chamois is not picking up grit and rubbing it against the paint?

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #17

Use water from the HOSE to dry the car.

(really)

Use a full stream from the hose and work the water from high to low. If you do it right, the surface tension from the water should leave no water drops behind. When I wash my car, I use a microfiber towel at the very end to dry it. But the car is 95% dry before I start.

/
Old 02-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #18

I use a microfiber mitt to clean the car.

I only clean a small section at a time. I hose the dirt off the mitt BEFORE putting it back in the bucket.

Also, wipe the sides of the car vertically in straight lines. Wipe the hood/trunk the way the wind blows (also in straight lines). The goal is to avoid putting micro-scratches in the car. Do not wipe in circles!

My basalt black car has almost no scratches (no spiderwebs) - it looks almost "candy apple". Some of that is because I use clay and polish (different thread). But it's also because I wash my car correctly.

LAST COMMENT - Don't use dish detergent. Dish detergent removes your wax/sealant. Use a quality car wash product that is designed to not remove your wax/sealant.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #19
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
Do you think that any cloth or chamois is not picking up grit and rubbing it against the paint?
That's right, the right towel pulls debris away from the paint as it absorbs water.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:11 AM   #20

For the sake of those who may be new to the forum, I will bring up the leaf blower. After washing my Box I use the leaf blower to blow off excess water everywhere, but especially in the wheels. Works like a charm.

And, since Mr. Obvious hasn't chimed in yet, the answer to this week's puzzle is James Dean.

schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote