Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 04:55 AM   #61
midlifechrisis

yes to the clay bar

I just did the clay bar treatment . when the car was dry but "clean" it did not feel silky glassy smooth - that is contaminant attached to the paint and when you wash it you will rub this across the surface causing clear coat scratches.

- so wash the car, then 2. use the clay bar cleaning as discussed below. it is AMAZING how well it cleans . .

3. then what i did was meguair's ultimate polish, the their liquid wax, have also used the yellow carnuba paste wax . the car now looks like brand new with a show room shine. people constantly ask when i bought the "new" car, pretty good for a 2000s, 14 year old car.

- for maintainence always use microfiber cloth, newly clean cloth, not abrasive brushes. A good soapy wash will grab the dust and dirt with out causing much scratching.

-inbetween i have used the same brand ultimate detailer.

hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Pete View Post
For Clay Barring its really a simple process and NOT a taboo subject..ITS dead easy..

There are loads of good You Tube vids....will find a `Good one` and put the link here in a moment.. Here we go....

Car Claying - YouTube

1) Just wash the car thoroughly, no need to dry...

If you buy the Meguairs kit it comes with a detailing spray that acts as a application spray. Found this kit best value for money as it comes with MORE clay bar

2) Pull about a quarter of the clay bar off ONE of the bars (KIT COMES WITH 2 BARS) and work this into a flat shape, about half the size of a fried egg!

3) Work a panel at a time, spray with the fluid and then rub the clay bar over in a back and forward movement until it becomes very smooth..u will see as you use it

4) WIPE off with a good quality microfibre cloth to polish as you go
5) After working over the whole car, finish with a good coat or two of a good quality wax.

6) ON NO ACCOUNT If you drop your clay bar you MUST throw it away..otherwise it will pick up grit, which you will work into your paint..

Your car paint will come up like Glass....Have fun

Let me know how you get on....... Pete

Drphil is offline   Reply With Quote