Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2014, 05:04 AM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_hoyland View Post
DRL ? What is DRL...
Daytime Running Lights.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:58 AM   #22

Got a question:does the Spoiler Indicator Loght/switch both act as an up/down spoiler switch and an indicator light ?

Do I still need to install a separate spoiler switch into the dash console ?
jim_hoyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #23
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Got a question:does the Spoiler Indicator Loght/switch both act as an up/down spoiler switch and an indicator light ?

Do I still need to install a separate spoiler switch into the dash console ?
Depends on which switch you buy. The cheaper switch just lights up to indicate the movement of the spoiler. The more expensive switch lights up to indicate the movement of the spoiler and you can use the switch to raise and lower the spoiler.

My Boxster has a switch at the fuse panel cover from factory that will allow you to manually raise and lower the spoiler. You could use that switch and just buy the cheap switch that only indicates the movement of the spoiler.

Cheaper switch that only indicates the movement of the spoiler.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPOILER-CONTROL-INDICATOR-Porsche-Boxster-S-986-996-TOP-/261669778881?hash=item3cecbbf5c1&vxp=mtr

More expensive switch lights up to indicate the movement of the spoiler and you can use the switch to raise and lower the spoiler.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spoiler-control-indicator-switch-Porsche-Carrera-turbo-4S-Boxster-S-986-996-/261698591779?hash=item3cee739c23&vxp=mtr

Last edited by KRAM36; 12-14-2014 at 10:24 AM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:14 PM   #24

Thanks. I did get the more expensive switch/combo. That's what I wanted.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:26 AM   #25

I received the switch and instruction yesterday. I have two questions:
1) are the original wires that go to the fuse panel switch left unconnected ?

2) remembering the previous posts discussing the green wire, I want to know what to NOT do. The green wire has two pins; each hoes to a different slot in the connector. This seemed to be a problem area, please chime in and advise.

Otherwise, nice product, good instruction, and shipped fast; albeit came from Europe.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:41 PM   #26

Problems...

I finally got around to installing the switch; there is a problem. Spoiler goes up and down correctly. The light in the switch stays on when the spoiler is up.

But; the switch light does not flash as the spoiler raises, but does flash when the turn signals are used.

Can anyone pinpoint the problem ?
Old 11-26-2015, 05:21 PM   #27

Have one too....still have to install it. I had assumed that it would work correctly
Old 11-27-2015, 03:48 AM   #28

Where did you buy them ?
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:44 AM   #29

Quote:
I finally got around to installing the switch; there is a problem. Spoiler goes up and down correctly. The light in the switch stays on when the spoiler is up.

But; the switch light does not flash as the spoiler raises, but does flash when the turn signals are used.

Can anyone pinpoint the problem ?
When I first installed mine, all of the lights flashed correctly while raising and lowering and stayed solid while it was up. However, when I installed the 996 cluster I lost the flashing while raising and lowering. It stays on solid while it is up and can still operate the spoiler manually. Based on what a PIA the wires are to deal with I have left it as is. The flashing lights were not that big of a deal. Having the solid light on is more important to me.

You do have an issue if the blinkers are causing the indicator to flash. I would betting a wire is plugged into the wrong slot of the plug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpit77 View Post
Where did you buy them ?
Spoiler Control Indicator Switch Porsche Carrera Turbo 4S Boxster s 986 996 | eBay

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:26 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Have one too....still have to install it. I had assumed that it would work correctly
Probably will be OK. Would you help me out when you do the installation ? After inserting the wires into the gauge cluster blocks, raise or lower the the spoiler and determine which wire transmits the flashing. Then I'll know which one of mine is in the wrong slot.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:03 PM   #31

Quote:
Probably will be OK. Would you help me out when you do the installation ? After inserting the wires into the gauge cluster blocks, raise or lower the the spoiler and determine which wire transmits the flashing. Then I'll know which one of mine is in the wrong slot.
It will be a while before I can get to it.....spring as the car is all stored up. Not sure you would want to wait that long! It sounds like a real pain and am dreading it! Are the instructions wrong such that you cannot determine the right terminals?

The dude sent me an old crusty switch...which I have been trying to get replaced...no luck so far. I believe it is a just defroster switch with a sticker on it
Old 11-28-2015, 11:56 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
It will be a while before I can get to it.....spring as the car is all stored up. Not sure you would want to wait that long! It sounds like a real pain and am dreading it! Are the instructions wrong such that you cannot determine the right terminals?

The dude sent me an old crusty switch...which I have been trying to get replaced...no luck so far. I believe it is a just defroster switch with a sticker on it
I read over the instruction several times, but ended up having my mechanic do the installation. It works fine; one of the wires got into the wrong slot and I believe it is the green wire.

Note:The two pins on the green wire are a real PITA; he installed two other connecting pins to replace them. I'll get the part name/number from him next week.

Doesn't matter at this point when I fix the flashing; just want someone who' scoring the install or working in that area to verify which wire/slot is hot when the spoiler is in operation. That would be the wir/slot I have wrong.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:51 PM   #33

Quote:
I read over the instruction several times, but ended up having my mechanic do the installation. It works fine; one of the wires got into the wrong slot and I believe it is the green wire.

Note:The two pins on the green wire are a real PITA; he installed two other connecting pins to replace them. I'll get the part name/number from him next week.

Doesn't matter at this point when I fix the flashing; just want someone who' scoring the install or working in that area to verify which wire/slot is hot when the spoiler is in operation. That would be the wir/slot I have wrong.
Okay, yes some more robust pins on those wires would be good.... so much appreciated. They look like they will break or bend on the first try
Old 11-28-2015, 03:21 PM   #34

Garage
Does anyone have a picture of the pin to use on the back of the instrument cluster?
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:41 AM   #35

Update of sorts...

OK; I've used this several times now and found that it flashes when going up ( can't detect any flashing when retracting). Still flashes when turn signal used. Not sure the footwell switch is working, gotta test it more. I'll stop by the shop today and find out the part # for the grenn wire pin replacements.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:51 PM   #36

I have just installed this now on a 2000S.....It was bit dim as far as lighting goes here in the north but got it in there. Unfortunately, I have no indication when I actuate the spoiler ....even with the original switch. This the test during first phase of the installation.

I went over instructions in English and in French on the internet and still no joy.

Some notes:
-some the pin connectors are fairly loose fitting going into the cluster harness terminal blocks.
-there were two brown blue wires in one cluster plug so I just picked one.
-some of the wires had similar colour under LED lighting...but I think I got It right
-the green wire with double prongs appear to go as far as it could in the appropriate terminal block but the prongs are quite long don't look like they can go all the way in. I have exposed prongs.....on a 97-01 type terminal block.

Did any experience this on install? If so what wiring strategy fixed it?

My next step is to test with another switch if I can...

If any need pictures of these components exposed please let me know....while I have everything apart; before I head out west again!

P.S. did I mention that I hate electrical wiring work!
Old 12-18-2018, 04:03 PM   #37
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Mine shows when the spoiler is deployed (solid light) and when it is going down (flashing), it does not flash when the spoiler is deployed. This is because I broke the pin that you insert into the cluster plug, which I am pretty sure is actually the end of a diode. I just accepted it and moved on, but if it bothers you, I would make sure the pins are all inserted well.

he switch has nothing to do with the indicator light, the switch only controls the actually spoiler deployment/retraction, and the switch is not even used when the spoiler deploys automatically.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:11 PM   #38

....oh I am not getting any indication at all with the car stationary
Old 12-18-2018, 04:28 PM   #39
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I thought you only had an issue with the light when the spoiler went up. The indicator should work when stationary.

I would check to make sure the pins are inserted in the correct slots, you could also try reaching out to the ebay seller, I have communicated with him before and he seemed helpful.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:53 PM   #40

I was able to pull everything apart and do some testing with a 9 V battery. It seems that the double pronged green wire is the culprit....or a component imbedded under the heat shrink. I have attached some pictures in case they might help another