Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #1

Question about suspension clunk... Photo...

So I'm working on replacing my spark plug tubes (which is really easy btw) so I figured while I'm down there I'd check out my suspension and see if I could pinpoint the problem of my clunking sound... Everything looks and feels good as far as control arms... But what I did notice is that my stabilizer bar (which I think I'm pointing at in the photo) is loose. I can move it horizontally to the ground... My questions is... Is that indeed the stabilizer bar and is that normal? Side to side movement? I'm wondering if that could be the source of the clunking sound over bumps at slow speed?

bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #2

clunk

lower control arms look fine but they are the culprit change both at the same time. pelican parts 207.00 dollars or the guy at d.c. auto said use the adjustable 911 ones. i think d.c. has salvaged sets for 400.00
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Yes, you are pointing at the stabilizer bar or anti-sway bar. The bushing to the left of where your finger is pointing should hold the bar firm and not have any play vertically or left/right. Its ok if the bar rotates in the bushing and its ok if there is some slight movement into and away from the car in the same direction as your finger is pointing (axially).
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #4

Thanks thstone...
The stabilizer does move about 1/8-1/4 in and out of the bushing... If I understand you correctly that's normal? Just not up and down movement...?

I'm still a little hesitant buying lower control arms when the bushings look okay... My luck, I'd replace them then still get the clunk backing out of my drive... I wish there was something clearly evident so I know I'm making the correct purchase/repair... I did the motor mount a couple years ago and that was clearly bad...
Old 11-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #5

This kind of noise is hard to diagnose. The anti-sway bar will have a little bit of side-to-side play because it is meant to rotate in those bushings (just left of where you are pointing), and because the drop links don't prevent side-to-side movement (*). Make sure that if you wiggle the bar that it has no radial play in the bushing. Rotate, yes. (You'd have to disconnect the drop links to rotate it by hand.) Slide horizontally a little bit, ok. Move in the direction of the car (front-back), no.

(*) I am not sure about the stock bar, but on my Tarrett bar there are little circular clamps that go around the bar just outside of each bushing, to limit the horizontal movement.
trygve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:47 AM   #6

It might be worth taking a close look at the stabilizer link that attaches to the axle. It is at the end of the stabilizer bar, to the right of your finger. If they are loose or broken they can make a really nasty sounding clunck.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #7

Good point, Dave. I would at least put a wrench on the drop link attachment nuts/bolts -- top and bottom -- and make sure they are torqued down correctly. They can clunk. The fronts even more so because just turning the steering wheel creates force on them.
trygve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #8

Thanks for the tips guys! I put everything back and did not check the drop links yet... everything with the control arms seemed tight and good! I guess when I put the car up again I'll check the drop links and if they are tight I guess I'll be getting lower control arms... I cant stand the clunk so I hope if I spend the time and $ on the arms that it solves this issue...
Old 11-05-2012, 05:10 AM   #9

100% the lower control arms. The only way you can "check" them is by completely removing them from the car. Then you'll notice a bunch of play in the bushing. It is in there too tight when the car is on jackstands, or when it's loaded up to check them.

I had terrible low speed clunking, a few hours of work (they really aren't that hard) and I had a car that felt even better than when I bought it off the used lot!
MConte05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:40 AM   #10

Also clunking could be a bad motor mount and I found that the under panel in plastic, is missing a screw you can get a clunk from it too.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:48 AM   #11

Garage
+1 on the drop links. My right front one was making a terrible clanking noise a couple of years ago. It didn't take long to find it. It was the best possible outcome. I tightened it up and it's never made the noise since.
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #12

lower control arms

still think arms are the culprit Wish it wasn't so ! just remember.................could be worse
Old 11-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicecar View Post
still think arms are the culprit Wish it wasn't so ! just remember.................could be worse
Control Arms and not the Trailing Arms?

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #14

trailing

yes trailing, however, have heard of them called control arms somewhere ?
Old 11-06-2012, 04:40 AM   #15

I'm going to get back under there this weekend and check the drop links... I guess if they are tight then its probably the arms...