Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2019, 02:18 PM   #4901
1998 Boxster Owner

Treated my soft top with 303 solution. Works great. Passed the water test and repels water well. Actually did it over the weekend and requires 12 to 24 hours to settle in.

I ran out of painters tape. If anyone treats their top I recommend tapeing off the plastic window and trim. I did a lot of wiping of over spray. Longest part of the job is rinsing out the soap.

Last edited by Benitom; 04-22-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:34 PM   #4902

Played with some wrap on my front bumper and gave her a good washing 😀

JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:37 PM   #4903

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
Got my new Hankook RS4's mounted up, getting closer to being ready for track season! Those are a set of 996 Turbo Twists that I found on Craigslist for $300.

Great deal with the wheels, esp if they are those with hollow rims.

And beefy tires, look wider than typical 225/ 255 UHP tires.
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:05 PM   #4904

Garage
Put my personalised plates on which I have had for about 50 years onto my 2003 S today.
Boatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:07 PM   #4905

Garage
[QUOTE=JBauer;593569]Played with some wrap on my front bumper and gave her a good washing 😀

Great looking Boxster !
Old 04-24-2019, 07:08 PM   #4906

Garage
Great looking Boxster !
Old 04-25-2019, 02:11 AM   #4907
MYRX

Changed the plugs, inspected all the coils, washed and then applied a good paint sealant, then waxed her. Getting ready to go to the Mitty at Road Atlanta this weekend.
MYRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:26 AM   #4908

My Ben006 short shifter suddenly became uncharacteristically sloppy. I pulled the center console and saw that the circlip/retaining "e" ring on the front cup had gone missing and the shifter was sloppily riding in only the rear cup. Surprisingly, I had been driving the car like this for a couple hundred miles and it still shifted, sloppy but positively engaging in all gears. One of the sealed precision bearings also came apart. A quick message to Ben and he responded with the bearing size I need. New bearings will arrive from Amazon tomorrow, and I am going to see if I can get the type of external retaining rings on that have the two eye holes and use the retaining ring pliers to get them on. If that will work, they won't ever be able to go missing!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:55 AM   #4909

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
the circlip/retaining "e" ring on the front cup had gone missing and the shifter was sloppily riding in only the rear cup. One of the sealed precision bearings also came apart. A quick message to Ben and he responded with the bearing size I need. New bearings will arrive from Amazon tomorrow.
Hi PaulE,
Would you be so kind and provide pictures please?
I would like to compare my ben006 short shifter to yours and figure out if my slop
issue is due to the same issue you are having. Thank you in advance!

Randy
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL

Last edited by Dubaday; 04-25-2019 at 07:56 AM. Reason: name revision
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:07 AM   #4910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaday View Post
Hi PaulE,
Would you be so kind and provide pictures please?
I would like to compare my ben006 short shifter to yours and figure out if my slop
issue is due to the same issue you are having. Thank you in advance!

Randy
Hi Randy, I did not take any pictures of the shifter as I found it before I took it apart. At this point it is ready to go back in once I get my new bearings from Amazon, install them and the circlips and do the final bearing adjustment. I'll take a picture that sort of recreates how it looked tomorrow before I put it all back together.

One thing you can easily do is unsnap the bottom of the shift boot from the center console and have a look. You should be able to see that both circlips are in place and that there is no fore and aft movement of the shifter within the two cups. Assuming the circlips and cups are in place then maybe the locknuts have loosened, if that is the case I think you'll need to remove the console to get the allen wrench into the ends of the bolt section to tighten them. If the sloppyness is due to the blue ball part in the white plastic yoke on the side, then you need the part that Ben is currently testing in prototype to fix that or another plastic yoke that hasn't been worn from an aftermarket shifter.

Here is a picture, as best I can recreate it without the circlips in place as I;m waiting for the new bearings. The circlip came out on the front cup, which allowed the cup to move forward, and that end of the shifter was basically flopping around.
Attached Images

Last edited by PaulE; 04-25-2019 at 04:02 PM.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:58 AM   #4911

Replaced the "Boxster" emblem on the truck lid last night. People at the car wash were a little aggressive with the drying and broke a letter off. I guess after 18 years I should feel lucky the badge has stayed on that long. When I removed the old one I just grabbed an edge and lifted it off. No tools needed
Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:04 AM   #4912

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qckslvr View Post
Replaced the "Boxster" emblem on the truck lid last night. People at the car wash were a little aggressive with the drying and broke a letter off. I guess after 18 years I should feel lucky the badge has stayed on that long. When I removed the old one I just grabbed an edge and lifted it off. No tools needed
I never take my P car to the car wash. I fear someone will force water in the left side intake (which the manual states to avoid during washing), cloths used by car washers may have debris on towels while drying potentially scratching the car, not sure of what cheap detergents are used, etc.

I hand wash at home with Ph balanced Adams products and ensure I air dry with my leaf blower (lol).
Old 04-25-2019, 10:10 AM   #4913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
I never take my P car to the car wash. I fear someone will force water in the left side intake (which the manual states to avoid during washing), cloths used by car washers may have debris on towels while drying potentially scratching the car, not sure of what cheap detergents are used, etc.

I hand wash at home with Ph balanced Adams products and ensure I air dry with my leaf blower (lol).
would love to wash my car at home, but I live in an apartment that has a no wash rule.

I normally use the coin opp car wash down the street late at night. So I can bring my bucket and not have people honking at me while I try to wash the car LOL.

My other option, the one that broke the badge, uses no machines. And they have a really good rep with the exotic car crowd here in the Bay Area. When she was out front getting dried she sat with a Ferrari, a Maserati, and a Carrera. Won't mention the Kia in the line as well LOL
Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:48 AM   #4914

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qckslvr View Post
would love to wash my car at home, but I live in an apartment that has a no wash rule.
Depending on the level of dirt you accumulate you could use the AMMOnyc kit https://www.ammonyc.com/shop/hoseless-lift-kit-150/. I use it in my garage when the car isn't very dirty, or I don't feel like getting everything wet.

I have used this on a number of customer cars, including a Ferrari F430 with 600 miles so I'd say it's safe.
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:29 PM   #4915

Garage
[QUOTE=Qckslvr;593764]would love to wash my car at home, but I live in an apartment that has a no wash rule.

Here's another waterless option.

https://adamspolishes.com/adam-s-waterless-car-wash-collection.html
Old 04-25-2019, 01:21 PM   #4916

Seats almost done. Can't wait to pick up car tomorrow.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Last edited by rflores2323; 04-25-2019 at 02:32 PM.
rflores2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:43 PM   #4917

Garage
Pucks

Got these for $55 includes shipping

Old 04-25-2019, 04:06 PM   #4918

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflores2323 View Post
stunning craftsmanship on those seats!
Old 04-25-2019, 05:55 PM   #4919
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Indeed, those seats are very nice.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:40 PM   #4920

I pulled my crankshaft position sensor and tested it using a multimeter. Looks like its dead...

While i wait for new one to arrive im taking advantage of the car being up on stands to clean the skidpan, sump, gearbox, remove dirt from under the wheel arch covers, etc. She doesnt look like shes had a good scrub down since she was bought in 97.

brainles71 is offline   Reply With Quote