Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2019, 01:02 PM   #4701
Registered User
 
Oldcarguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: North Eastern US
Posts: 458
Didnít feel like any heavy lifting today so I installed my new Lid Liners. I modified the rear one slightly because it had some minor interference with the filler gasket.






Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Rgds, Fred
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:17 PM   #4702
Registered User
 
Tailwind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Pomona, CA
Posts: 70
Garage
Replaced my center bezel and switch bezels. The chipped ones looked crappy. I would have liked to stay with burlwood, but those parts cost a fortune.


I used a Targa Shade tip switch for the garage door opener.
I'm going to do the poor man's OBC using either a tip switch or a rotary with push button function.
__________________
'99 986 Base
2010 Golf TDI
'74 914 2.0
'56 356A
Tailwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:56 AM   #4703
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 67
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
Replaced my center bezel and switch bezels. The chipped ones looked crappy. I would have liked to stay with burlwood, but those parts cost a fortune.

I used a Targa Shade tip switch for the garage door opener.
I'm going to do the poor man's OBC using either a tip switch or a rotary with push button function.
Where did you source the targa switch? And is there a guide for what to tie into for the obc? I love that idea!
harrg67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:15 AM   #4704
1997 & 2009 S, PCA Zone 8
 
rexcramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Upland, CA
Posts: 912
Garage
I have always wanted a set of those. Can you post a close up pic of your mod on the rear cover please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
Didn’t feel like any heavy lifting today so I installed my new Lid Liners. I modified the rear one slightly because it had some minor interference with the filler gasket.






Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:03 PM   #4705
Santa Barbara, CA
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 38
I also considered the back deck area first for my sub, but with the glass window (it's a 98 with an aftermkt top) there's very little space, so mounting meant making it visible and tempting. Either there or in the front floor area makes for much better sound. It only took me a year to figure this out...
__________________
'98 986 Arctic Silver
jvfante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:18 AM   #4706
Registered User
 
Oldcarguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: North Eastern US
Posts: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
I have always wanted a set of those. Can you post a close up pic of your mod on the rear cover please?
Hi Rex, here are before and after pics. I made the mod on the car with a Drexel cutting wheel so it’s not as clean as it should be.

I used a thick piece of cardboard as a backing plate on the trunk lid and held the lid liner away from the trunk lid by placing a rag under it. I had already mounted it and did not want to take it off again so as not to damage the retaining clips. I did remove and replace the one clip by the cut.

There’s a 15% discount code in effect at Lid Liners web site: RF14






Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Rgds, Fred
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 01-05-2019 at 05:21 AM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:47 AM   #4707
Lew
So Blessed!
 
Lew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: SE Georgia
Posts: 357
Garage
I guess this is the site the Oldcarguy was talking about. Maybe he will respond. I sent him a email. Asking price etc.

https://lidliner.com/collections/frontpage/products/boxster-schild-front-and-rear-two-piece-set
__________________
Artic Silver Boxster S - Black Leather - Black Top - Convience Plus Package
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:48 AM   #4708
Registered User
 
Tailwind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Pomona, CA
Posts: 70
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrg67 View Post
Where did you source the targa switch? And is there a guide for what to tie into for the obc? I love that idea!
The part number is 996-613-119-10-A05. I got it from Porsche of San Diego for $49.
You can shop the part for best price.

The OBC hack has you installing the four stalk lever assembly, but the poor man's version uses a tip switch. I have a spare window switch that I was using for GDO.
Someone mentioned the Targa switch legends looked like a garage door, so I had to have it.

The OBC hack is in various places on the Forum, but here's the article:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/box_OBD_Mod/box_obd_mod.htm

I'm going to try a rotary encoder switch (like the one on the radio) to add "up" or "back" because you can use a third wire. Stay tuned for this one!
__________________
'99 986 Base
2010 Golf TDI
'74 914 2.0
'56 356A
Tailwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:53 AM   #4709
Registered User
 
Tailwind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Pomona, CA
Posts: 70
Garage
Got a new ELM327 BT OBDII unit that is compatible with Porsche. My other one that worked on my VW would not communicate with the Boxster. Anyway, it's handy so I can clear the SAI codes with my phone until I can dig in and solve that issue.
__________________
'99 986 Base
2010 Golf TDI
'74 914 2.0
'56 356A
Tailwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:31 AM   #4710
Registered User
 
Qckslvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 47
My spoiler switch arrived from Germany today The instructions are quite detailed. Can't wait to install it

Also I have the lid liners as well. Got them from Pelican with the PCA discount. This should save me from another $300 dent-pro visit for the rear trunk lid


Last edited by Qckslvr; 01-05-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:21 PM   #4711
WALDMEISTER
 
BRAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 861
Garage
my hommage to the Ö

just check marked another 986 design project of my bucket list (nano leaf on 2m x 1.2m plywood)
__________________
Original Owner | PORSCHE Boxster 2.7L (MY01) | Seal Gray
BRAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:31 PM   #4712
1997 & 2009 S, PCA Zone 8
 
rexcramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Upland, CA
Posts: 912
Garage
Excellent, thank you. Now may be the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
Hi Rex, here are before and after pics. I made the mod on the car with a Drexel cutting wheel so it’s not as clean as it should be.

I used a thick piece of cardboard as a backing plate on the trunk lid and held the lid liner away from the trunk lid by placing a rag under it. I had already mounted it and did not want to take it off again so as not to damage the retaining clips. I did remove and replace the one clip by the cut.

There’s a 15% discount code in effect at Lid Liners web site: RF14




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:32 PM   #4713
1997 & 2009 S, PCA Zone 8
 
rexcramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Upland, CA
Posts: 912
Garage
That is very creative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
my hommage to the Ö

just check marked another 986 design project of my bucket list (nano leaf on 2m x 1.2m plywood)
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:26 PM   #4714
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 67
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
The part number is 996-613-119-10-A05. I got it from Porsche of San Diego for $49.
You can shop the part for best price.

The OBC hack has you installing the four stalk lever assembly, but the poor man's version uses a tip switch. I have a spare window switch that I was using for GDO.
Someone mentioned the Targa switch legends looked like a garage door, so I had to have it.

The OBC hack is in various places on the Forum, but here's the article:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/box_OBD_Mod/box_obd_mod.htm

I'm going to try a rotary encoder switch (like the one on the radio) to add "up" or "back" because you can use a third wire. Stay tuned for this one!
Thanks for the detail! Can't wait to see how the switch goes.
harrg67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:29 PM   #4715
Registered User
 
Tailwind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Pomona, CA
Posts: 70
Garage
Installed the VW relay for the wiper delay.
The rain sensor was just finicky, and I wanted an adjustable one. The relay cost me 13.60 shipped from Latvia 12V 6Pin # 95VW17C499BA / 357955531 / No. 99 _TESTED RELAY_ VW Audi Seat Skoda.
__________________
'99 986 Base
2010 Golf TDI
'74 914 2.0
'56 356A
Tailwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM   #4716
Registered User
 
Oldcarguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: North Eastern US
Posts: 458
Waiting on parts so today was brake and clutch fluid purge/bleed. Took ~2.5 liters to get all of the green mystery fluid completely out of the brake and clutch system. The mystery fluid was too high in water content & I did have some air. Motul 600 happily flowing through the clutch and brake system now. Check out the cool clutch bleed tool I found (I love tools ). Check your brake fluid every year.










Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Rgds, Fred
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page