Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2017, 11:41 AM   #3701

Today I gave it a good wash after the recent 800 mile trip for a track day. I also attached my new track decals.

fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:44 PM   #3702
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
What yellow is that? I don't think I have ever seen that before. I like it.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:55 PM   #3703
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Failed safety inspection.
The dealer said my drop links had too much play and quoted me over $1000 to replace...ha!
I laughed at the manager.

I got home and had a look at them. They are all solid with no play, boots look as good as new. I'm calling BS, but ordered all 4 anyway. Have to pass inspection to renew my registration.
I know someone that will be getting a scathing review, along with some choice words when I take it back with the parts replaced to get my inspection sticker.
I'm going to take the old drop links in with me and ask them to show me the excessive play they were talking about, then let them know about their impending bad review(s).
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:08 PM   #3704

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
What yellow is that? I don't think I have ever seen that before. I like it.
It's pastel yellow, colour code L12M. It's pretty rare and I like it a lot. Apparently it's hard to sell, though. There is one that has been for sale in Sweden for two years now, despite the price getting lower and lower.
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:39 PM   #3705

New boxster s

I got my 2000 boxster s yesterday! Just put in new brake lights and ordered an e brake switch (top cant always move because the switch doesnt always like to work). Oh and I ordered a cup holder. I work at a coffee shop.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:57 AM   #3706

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Failed safety inspection.
The dealer said my drop links had too much play and quoted me over $1000 to replace...ha!
I laughed at the manager.

I got home and had a look at them. They are all solid with no play, boots look as good as new. I'm calling BS, but ordered all 4 anyway. Have to pass inspection to renew my registration.
I know someone that will be getting a scathing review, along with some choice words when I take it back with the parts replaced to get my inspection sticker.
I'm going to take the old drop links in with me and ask them to show me the excessive play they were talking about, then let them know about their impending bad review(s).
That's baloney, let me guess, they wanted to sell/install the new ones for you to pass? Oh yeah it says it right there, $1000, that's robbery, the parts are <$100 and maybe 1 hour to replace even without a lift. Crazy.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:51 AM   #3707

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
That's baloney, let me guess, they wanted to sell/install the new ones for you to pass? Oh yeah it says it right there, $1000, that's robbery, the parts are <$100 and maybe 1 hour to replace even without a lift. Crazy.
The "Stealership" motto - We have to earn our wings, every day!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:25 PM   #3708

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by McHeinzky View Post
Guess I'll have to try again later. I'm not having any luck uploading a picture.
There we go. New top with glass.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:46 PM   #3709

Garage
Yesterday ordered a cover from Pelican for winter storage.

Today I washed it after my first DE event. My tires (Hankook's that came with the car) definitely look worse for wear.

TripleTrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:40 PM   #3710

Got my car back from shop for a respray of the front bumper and hood. No wreck or anything...just had a rock chips, a small dent on the hood from a friggin pine cone. Also had a little tit on the hood from years ago when I tried to help jump start someone on a windy day....dang hood blew closed with the jumper cables sticking up. Its bugged me for years!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:09 PM   #3711
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Got my car back from shop for a respray of the front bumper and hood. No wreck or anything...just had a rock chips, a small dent on the hood from a friggin pine cone.
So, how much is a bumper and hood respray going for these days?

Just wonderin'..............

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:48 PM   #3712

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleTrophy View Post
Yesterday ordered a cover from Pelican for winter storage.

Today I washed it after my first DE event. My tires (Hankook's that came with the car) definitely look worse for wear.
Your tires look fine to me. Most of what looks bad is big gobs of race rubber stuck to your tread plus finer dirt and particles sticking all over your tread. That will all wear off with some highway miles.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:36 PM   #3713

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
So, how much is a bumper and hood respray going for these days?

Just wonderin'..............

TO
The guy I use is very reasonable and does a great job.

Total was $500 and included some touch up on my roll bar, which I chipped in a few places when I installed a new to with glass window. I'm always surprised how little he charges. He does work on a lot of high dollar cars from a shop that has no street presence or advertising.

The shop was recommended to me by a local indy who knows and uses this guy all the time.

I'd post pics but it wouldn't help show the work. The match is great and there is no overspray. Headlights, side markers and trim under the bumper was all removed.

He's done my wife's 350Z (twice, not her fault!) a 99 M Roady and now my Boxster S. Each time, I was very pleased with the results (and the price!).
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:46 PM   #3714

Drove it home from the mechanic thinking I didn't damage the engine and all would be well only to hear a hissing sound and coolant leaking onto the floor by the passenger rear wheel.
robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 06:20 PM   #3715

What I did for my Boxster today was take a nice, leisurely drive around northwest Washington scenic backroads, down Whidbey Island, over the Deception Pass Bridge, and round and about for several hours. Our weather is about to turn for Fall, and sunny afternoons will be harder to find for the next several months. Tomorrow I'll clean things up, and make ready for long-term storage.

It had been over a month since I'd had time to take a long drive in my wonderful car. I needed to feel that seat under my butt, and let my hands grip the wheel. I let the engine speak to me, and give me further proof of why I own this great ride. It felt great! I love this car!

Interesting side note: I did not see a single Porsche all day. Where is everybody?

Dave
Old 09-16-2017, 07:30 PM   #3716
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
160 mile round trip drive to Palm Springs for a meeting this morning. This car loves to stretch it's legs on a clear wide open freeway.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 05:07 AM   #3717

Garage
Replaced Tension Cable

Replaced Tension Cable to the Right Side of Convertible top
Old 09-17-2017, 12:49 PM   #3718

changed the starter motor , now it idles badly and sounds terrible
judd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:31 PM   #3719

Garage
Two full days of Autocross competition for Region 1 of the PCA. Getting a lot better and was good enough to take 4th place in class S2. If you haven't autocrossed your Boxster yet I strongly recommend it. It will make you a better driver by teaching you how to drive the car at it's limits. Took a ton of pictures.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #3720

Garage
Drove 160 miles to have lunch with my dad, then drove back home.

Micklaus986 is offline   Reply With Quote