Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2016, 07:18 PM   #2721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
grilled buggers
?? Say what? Is this a new Chinese delicacy?

clickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:43 PM   #2722

You have no idea, Chinese are huge fans of the traditional American grilled burgers. Some American dude just open up an Texan Burger shop here in SH and you had to make "one day before" reservations to get a seat during the first 3 months of his opening. The Best In The World man - try, you'll see what I mean!

What have you done to your/with your Boxster today?
Old 07-20-2016, 09:14 PM   #2723
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
lolllll he abandon it so my guess is, he is happy its gone. Could be wrong also. If I've offended you Charles my apologies.

AC/DC, one of my best! good memories
Haha, no offense buddy

I was attached to it. 15 years, 190,000 miles and never a serious issue. The most reliable car I've ever owned.

Truth told, it's been 3 weeks and I'm still a bit sad about letting it go, but it went to a family friend who needed a car to get back and forth to work, so it was for a good cause.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:25 PM   #2724

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
it went to a family friend who needed a car to get back and forth to work, so it was for a good cause.
This family friend, a teenager?! Because if he is I think you and old'friend Neon has a problem. Sorry to inform you bud
Old 07-20-2016, 09:38 PM   #2725
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Naw, 40 year old woman. I've checked in on it a few times and they are treating each other well. The body was starting to rust out, cheap plastic dash was cracked and even missing some large pieces, AC leak, RMS leak, it was due for tires, etc...I just couldn't keep up anymore.
I made her promise that when she gets something better, it would go to the local scrap yard to be parted out (organ donor, lol ).
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:40 PM   #2726

190,000 is incredible if you ask me. Sort of a slap in the face for us Porsche cars owners.

Long Life to the Neon then
Old 07-20-2016, 09:43 PM   #2727

This morning I've looked at my Boxster. Lucky me its parked right in front of my window.

Unfortunately blue sky with 38+ thousand degrees outside today. I'm sure the window seal will self destruct if I touch the door handle.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:40 AM   #2728

Polished cloudy scratches out of rear plastic window with Bluemagic headlight lens restorer. Worked really well. Before I had a 3" square area that was opaque, right in the center of the window caused by rubbing against the convertible top lever. Now, while you can still see the spot, you can actually see through it.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Magic-725CD-06-Headlight-Restorer/dp/B001PH0WUU/

Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:44 AM   #2729

I broke my turn signal stalk! Doesn't return from a left turn, and doesn't lock into right.

Other than that, I pulled my shift boot up to discover this:

Anyone know what model this is?
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:58 AM   #2730
LEJ

It's not a matter of what I did today but what I've done in the past 5 weeks since buying my car. New clutch, new LN IMSB kit, new coolant bottle, new oil filter housing, new front motor mount, new Pioneer AVIC7200NEX radio, back up camera, new serpentine belt, cleaned and re-oiled the K&N air filter, new cabin air filter, cleaned the MAF, new engine oil and filter, new fuel filter, new trans oil, new spark plugs, new spark plug tubes, had a guy come over and remove 8 small dents in the car (like the painless dent guys), resurfaced the brake rotors, new Akebono brake pads, flushed the brake fluid, polished the paint. Today, the climate control replacement LCD kit arrives. Basically a 60,000 mile service with "extras"

Last edited by LEJ; 07-21-2016 at 05:11 AM.
LEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:03 AM   #2731

Quote:
Originally Posted by alm001 View Post
I broke my turn signal stalk! Doesn't return from a left turn, and doesn't lock into right.

Other than that, I pulled my shift boot up to discover this:

Anyone know what model this is?

it looks like the B&M short shift kit that i have BUT in my case only the bushings are painted blue, the rest is stainless steel look.
if it's the B&M you've struck gold.. it's 300$ new. if it's the ebay version not so much but if it works that's what matters
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:35 AM   #2732
Okinawa986

K&N Not Recommended--May Want to Research

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEJ View Post
It's not a matter of what I did today but what I've done in the past 5 weeks since buying my car. New clutch, new LN IMSB kit, new coolant bottle, new oil filter housing, new front motor mount, new Pioneer AVIC7200NEX radio, back up camera, new serpentine belt, cleaned and re-oiled the K&N air filter, new cabin air filter, cleaned the MAF, new engine oil and filter, new fuel filter, new trans oil, new spark plugs, new spark plug tubes, had a guy come over and remove 8 small dents in the car (like the painless dent guys), resurfaced the brake rotors, new Akebono brake pads, flushed the brake fluid, polished the paint. Today, the climate control replacement LCD kit arrives. Basically a 60,000 mile service with "extras"
Read several posts and articles stating that K&N oil can foul MAF and other Sensors.
After reading all the info available online about K and N and Porsches, I decided to stick with Porsche recommendations/OEM. I agree with those who have concluded that the cost of sensors and other potential damage outweigh the potential minor boost in hp.

Respectfully,
Mitchell

https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=K+and+N+filters%3A+Porsche&oq=K+and+N+filters%3A+Porsche&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i64.10685j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=K+and+N+filter+problems:+Porsche
Purchased May 2016
w/41.5k Miles
DRGETZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:50 AM   #2733

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRGETZ View Post

Read several posts and articles stating that K&N oil can foul MAF and other Sensors.
After reading all the info available online about K and N and Porsches, I decided to stick with Porsche recommendations/OEM. I agree with those who have concluded that the cost of sensors and other potential damage outweigh the potential minor boost in hp.

Respectfully,
Mitchell

https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=K+and+N+filters%3A+Porsche&oq=K+and+N+filters%3A+Porsche&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i64.10685j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=K+and+N+filter+problems:+Porsche
Hi Mitchell

With all respect, this is a myth and started by disposable/paper-based filter competitors (manufacturers). The internet has it all these days but often, accurate information comes from those who are most affected, not the (internet) sensor owners themselves

K&N Response to Mass Air Flow Sensor Concerns

ps: I spray mine with WD-40 lolllllllllllll
Old 07-21-2016, 06:59 AM   #2734

Quote:
Hi Mitchell

With all respect, this is a myth and started by disposable/paper-based filter competitors (manufacturers). The internet has it all these days but often, accurate information comes from those who are most affected, not the (internet) sensor owners themselves

It isn't a myth. I've seen it myself. Besides that K&N filters are pretty terrible filters compared to paper elements. There was a great website that did a comparison in which they put a paper element behind the K&N and you could see all the crap it caught missed by the K&N. Paper is cheap insurance...like oil changes. FYI there is a Honda Prelude paper conical filter element available that is a great substitute for K&N's.

Filtration Testing for Amsoil, K&N, Napa, Jackson Racing, Baldwin, and Mazda air filters on a Miata

https://www.napaonline.com/p/FIL6277

Last edited by Disaster; 07-21-2016 at 07:04 AM.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:01 AM   #2735
Okinawa986

Respect Returned...

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Mitchell

Many posts from users support not using K & N. I also experienced fouling of plenum and sensor on my Mazda MX-5. I regularly used fuel system cleaner to keep her running smoother and would have removed the K&N if I didn't sell her first.

Caveat Emptor.

Respectfully,
Mitchell

User/Porsche Owner Opinion on Pelican Parts Forum:
Is a K&N air filter worth it? - Pelican Parts Technical BBS
Purchased May 2016
w/41.5k Miles
Old 07-21-2016, 07:01 AM   #2736
LEJ

The car came with a K&N so why not re-use it. The MAF was surprisingly clean but I cleaned it anyway. I've used K&N filters on Fuel Injected and carbureted engines for years including all of my current and past off road sand cars. I've dug into the engines of all my cars and saw no evidence that K&N filters are detrimental in any way conversely a friend insisted on using a paper air filter on his Subaru powered off road car because "If Subaru used it, it must be good". After a season or two, he lost compression and when I dismantled the engine, it was full of sand. Never saw any sand inside any of my off road engines.

If you seriously believe that Porsche knows it all and therefore you should only use their filter then think about all the things Porsche has done wrong namely the IMSB and RMS issues of late.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:14 AM   #2737

Guessing some are luckier than others then. I have used K&N for years (7 or 8 dunno). Would you believe that the MAF is still the same. Not that I re-oil my filter quite often but certainly a yearly concurrence. As per K&N guideline.

Worked for me, sorry to hear about other's experiences :/

Must be the solvent from the wd40 that self-clean the maf (I'm just joking myself there, beware, I'm NOT using wd40)
Old 07-21-2016, 07:15 AM   #2738
Okinawa986

Just Trying To Help...

Quote:
The car came with a K&N so why not re-use it. The MAF was surprisingly clean but I cleaned it anyway. I've used K&N filters on Fuel Injected and carbureted engines for years including all of my current and past off road sand cars. I've dug into the engines of all my cars and saw no evidence that K&N filters are detrimental in any way conversely a friend insisted on using a paper air filter on his Subaru powered off road car because "If Subaru used it, it must be good". After a season or two, he lost compression and when I dismantled the engine, it was full of sand. Never saw any sand inside any of my off road engines.

If you seriously believe that Porsche knows it all and therefore you should only use their filter then think about all the things Porsche has done wrong namely the IMSB and RMS issues of late.
Hey, it's your car so do what you want with it.
I never made any such statement that Porsche knows it all.

I only sought to share information.

Personally, I bought a Porsche because of the countless things they've done well over the last 85 years or so.

Good Luck.

Respectfully,
Mitchell
Purchased May 2016
w/41.5k Miles
Old 07-21-2016, 07:21 AM   #2739
LEJ

Actually 68 years if you count the one and only 356 mid engine as the first year (1948) and not count some of Ferdinand's cars he built in the early years under different names. Same year as when I was born.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:25 AM   #2740

Quote:
If you seriously believe that Porsche knows it all
Sorry but they do. The K&N is just not one of those filter that was used during testing therefore can't be supported nor approved. Its all what it means bud.

No comments on IMS and RMS, both mine are working just fine (well, looking at it from the sidewalk they both do lolll).