Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2021, 03:15 PM   #6461

Didn't mean to start anything...just making an observation.

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 05:35 AM   #6462

You didn't and it's all good. I learn so much here, not just about cars. I would still like to know what "regulated" means as I can always learn something.
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 06:16 AM   #6463

Garage
I'd be interested to know also. I never heard of regulated system. BaT and PCarMarket, and other online car auctions are not the best way to judge the car market. Most of the people on there are car collectors, or they are looking for a specific car that they don't mind overpaying. And then there's the ones that had one to many drinks sittng in their lazy boy chair while browsing the car auctions that pay stupid money for a 9 owner car with a rebuild title. I see cars go for stupid money on online auctions. If people took their time to look at the autotrader, etc. they would see that similar cars could be had for a lot less money. I am also here to learn
986 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 10:41 AM   #6464

Going to jump in the waters on this one. We have a free market, but it is also regulated. One instance is with utilities such as electric, water, etc. Those are regulated. Phone used to be regulated.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 11:38 AM   #6465

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
Going to jump in the waters on this one. We have a free market, but it is also regulated. One instance is with utilities such as electric, water, etc. Those are regulated. Phone used to be regulated.
I know that there are regulations in the auto industry, like safety, emissions, etc. regulations, but I never heard of price regulations in the auto industry, at least not in Canada. Is that not the same in the U.S.?
986 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 07:43 AM   #6466

Took a birthday drive

Took a birthday drive
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 08:30 AM   #6467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
I think you need a business license, can’t lie about products and fraud can get you in trouble. We used to have laws about price fixing too. I could keep going but you see my point. We have a regulated system. We the people could add any regulation we want.
azlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 07:34 AM   #6468

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post

Took a birthday drive
congratulations and a beautiful car
notech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 07:40 AM   #6469

Garage
Went to Porsche Sportwagen Marbella to collect some parts thid morning and found this boxster Martini racing style parked outside

notech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:36 AM   #6470

I joined a group buy for these bad boys today:

Porsche specific wheels in aggressive offsets (rare!), lightweight and reasonably priced (also rare for Porsche wheels )

Also ordered a GT3 console delete, OEM looking stereo, bunch of bits and pieces... makeover in progress
Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 01:51 PM   #6471

I had my oil changed and the gasket between the header and mid-pipe replaced on the driver side. Thought I heard a small exhaust leak on that side and that's what it was. As soon as I can find a volunteer to assist me, the hard top will go on.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 07:04 AM   #6472
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
After 22 years my 986 finally needed a new ignition switch. I wasn't sure at first because it didn't fail in the usual way with odd electrical problems, I stopped and went to remove to the key and it wouldn't turn all the way or let me take the key out, when I finally got the key out with a lot of jiggling, it still thought the key was in the first position and started beeping as if the key had been left in, then I couldn't reinsert the key.

I ordered a new ignition switch (I used the Audi part, instead of an aftermarket brand like Uro), which didn't get here until a few days ago. It should have been a straightforward fix, but a 10 minute repair turned into a 3 hour repair because the two set screws where overtightened and the only thing I could get up in there was a screwdriver bit. I tried a half dozen tiny screwdrivers, socket wrenches, pliers, etc.

I finally took the bit that fit and hammered it into a small block of wood to give it a handle I could grip, and was able to get both set screws loose. Just needed the right tool for the job, which in this case meant making the tool myself.
Old 01-06-2022, 05:39 PM   #6473

Took her out for the first time in a few months. Got the top down, warmed her up, and hit 135 on a 1 mi straightaway. Smooth and steady the whole time. These cars may not do lightning fast sprints but damn they are wonderful driving machines.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2022, 07:46 PM   #6474

Replaced passenger side driveaxle. Was making a clicking noise so it was time. Found a used one on eBay.

One tip, I think the 101 projects book says you need to take down the muffler to replace. I just dropped the coffin arm and control arm and "pulled" wheel carrier bottom of strut out enough to get the driveaxle into the wheel hub. Seemed to work.

The muffler flange bolts did not look like they were gonna come out without breaking off.........hence looking for a different solution. Stopped for a second thinking that if I broke them it would be a great excuse to upgrade the exhaust...........But nah. Not yet.
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:13 PM   #6475
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Today and yesterday I got one of my 'project Boxsters' ready to be someone else's race car project. Even though I was selling it as-is with the engine out, it's a lot easier to transport with the engine in so...

Now I need to decide if I still have three project Boxsters and one parts car or two and two.

I'm hoping to start on this one soon. Zanzibar Red:

Old 01-14-2022, 08:37 PM   #6476

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I'm hoping to start on this one soon. Zanzibar Red:

Extremely jealous. Where did you find the Zanzibar car? Year? Base or S? Transmission type? Interior color? What does it need?
Old 01-15-2022, 03:58 AM   #6477
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post

Extremely jealous. Where did you find the Zanzibar car? Year? Base or S? Transmission type? Interior color? What does it need?
Don't be too jealous Rick. 2001 Tiptronic Base that doesn't engage in gear and was sitting for three years. I made a low offer on a Tulsa Craigslist ad that was about to expire. It did come with an additional transmission and torque converter ready to install though.

That blue one already had a buyer before you asked about the bumper and transmission. I never actually had it for sale, just came across a guy that was looking and decided to let it go.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:19 PM   #6478

Well, I performed the entire suspension overhaul and replaced the steering rack last week. I took the Boxster to the dealer for an alignment after. While driving it yesterday on the freeway, got a scary rear end shimmy. Scared the crap out of me.
hotdawwgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:19 AM   #6479
1998 Boxster Owner

Finally made time to get sway bar links and bushings done. 11 year old son helped me out. Was nice having a second set of hands and teaching him something not involving a computer or some sort of electronic. He was sore in the evening

What a difference in handling.
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:43 PM   #6480

I finally gave her the the polishing she deserves

Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote