Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #1

Pressure Washers

I recently, taking great pains to be careful with my new 2001 Black Boxster S, managed some how to put fine scratches in my door with a sponge.

Must have been something abrasive on/in the sponge I did not see.

Fortunately there are only a couple on the drivers side.

With that in mind I began to wonder if maybe a pressure washer would be better and wondered what folks experiences are with those units?

I know the Boxster is not too big to wash by hand but I am on a dirt/gravel driveway and Im thinking some dirt splashed up onto my sponge or something, so a pressure washer being only the water to scrub the car is probably less prone to scratching in my case I am thinking.

Obviously you would have to be carefull about the top and the vents.

Comments, Suggestions?

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 08-02-2012 at 03:39 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #2

Use a two bucket wash method and get some grit guards for the buckets instead. . .
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
Use a two bucket wash method and get some grit guards for the buckets instead. . .
Two bucket???

Detergent in bucket 1, Sponge clean the car, rinse sponge in bucket 2, repeat ???

Grit guard? Is that some kind of strainer on the bottom of the bucket?
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Pressure washer is fine. I use one all the time. Just keep in mind that you still have to dry it...drying worries me more than washing.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #5

I find the pressure washer is good to blast off most of the surface dirt, and it does a great job rinsing after, but I still need a soapy mitt to get all the road grime off. Is also good for rinsing the top after a good scrubbing with Raggtopp cleaner.

My washer is electric and 1900 psi. I also use it for washing the house, fence, patio, patio furniture... the list goes on. Sometimes I wish I had the really hi pressure gas powered unit, like for blasting out wheel wells and keeping cats off the property.

+1 on the 2 bucket with grit guard method. See Youtube for a demo.

The color-tinted polish is good for hiding small nicks and scratches on black cars. Works best used together with detailing spray for black cars.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #6

Garage
Be careful using the pressure washer on wheels, very easy to dislodge stick on wheel weights
gerber28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:08 AM   #7

Garage
i use a pressure washer from time to time you also have to be careful of any stonechips (around the rear of the front wheelarches) as any paint chip can get lifted quickly by pressure.

i also use two sponges and alternate, leaving one to soak while i'm using the other one,i also give them a shake before each pick up.

The method i use is front, driver side, passeneger side, rear then wheels that way you're going lighter dirt level to higher..

i dont pressure wash the wheels or use chemicals, just warm soapy water i also never use a drying blade as any grit that lands on the car will get dragged down the paint by the blade.

i'm a big fan of the autoglym range for paint care and use the wheel seal on the wheels.
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
...if maybe a pressure washer would be better...

...but I am on a dirt/gravel driveway and Im thinking some dirt splashed up onto my sponge or something...
Based on your description of dirt/gravel driveway and that splash likely already caused your issue... a pressure washer likely will exacerbate your problems rather than abate. Thus why I suggested 2 bucket method w/ grit guard. Not a bad idea to use two sponges too. Either letting one soak/cleanse while using the other as suggested. Or designate them for specific areas i.e. one strictly used above "belt line" and the other below - preventing fine debris pick up from say rocker panel sponge from scratching high-visible area like hood (of course one always washes top to bottom helping prevent this too).

True there is nothing wrong w/ pressure washers when used correctly. I have a concrete driveway and occasionally break mine out for specific auto cleansing tasks (heed cautions as outlined above especially for rock chips and wheels). Regardless, you will still need sponges (and buckets) and quite honestly a pressure washer will probably add to your swirls, scratches and frustrations which are already hard to prevent with black (you should try keeping a black SUV swirl free )

Good luck

PS - FWIW, don't kick yourself too much over this. If you bought your Boxster from a dealer, the scratches were likely already there. Your washing just rinsed away the high filler polish used to "shine-n-sell" the car.

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 08-03-2012 at 05:13 AM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:16 AM   #9

I love my black car and I wouldn't want any other color. I've had quite a few black vehicles and so, after many years of trying to maintain a swirl-free finish, I have decided to take the Microsoft approach and describe the swirls as a feature of the finish.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #10

Sponge? How about using a sheep skin wash mitt next time?

Pressure washer is useful but you'll still have to wash it by hand to remove oil stuck on the exterior.

Last edited by ekam; 08-03-2012 at 06:41 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:45 AM   #11

Sounds like I just need to use the 2 bucket and get a grit guard.

If the pressure sprayer does not remove all the road grime and perhaps adds its own gotchas then I better stick with the sponge/mitt and just be more careful.

I read up on the "Turtle Wax Balck Box" pigmented wax for black cars and seems to be a good way to hide the small flaws until the next repaint.

I use a car soap wash that breaks the surface tension and the makes the water run away really well (No beading) with fewer streaks and it has some carnuba wax in it as well.

I then pull into the garage out of the sun and dry it with a chamois and always get a big smile when it comes out looking like new.

It gets washed weekly due to all the dust in Southern California.

My dirt/gravel driveway is also a pain because the radiator fan comes on at the most inopportune moment while I'm crossing the dirt into the garage and blows up a dust cloud from under the car.

Does anyone know of a dust suppressant for dirt driveways.
I don't want to concrete or pave it as I will likely be moving out within a couple years.

Someone should make a way to positively charge the cars exterior so it repels dust.
Adding wax just makes it better insulated from static discharge so it retains its negative charge better and attracts even more dust.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #12

If you're not cleaning it properly, you're basically putting scratches on the clear coat.

Autopia.org is a very good car detailing website.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/80234-autopia-guide-detailing-washing-drying.html
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #13
Track rat

Garage
A black Boxster and a gravel driveway are mutually exclusive. Time to pour some concrete?
Old 08-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #14

Garage
I think I've heard dioxin works ok to keep the dust down...(just kidding)... I don't have to fight gravel/dirt dust as much as I have to deal with mill/grain elevator dust. It's nasty stuff.
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #15

I don't know but I've been told...that power washers blast the dirt into the paint, harming it. Since they don't leave the car clean it is a waste of time. Great tools for other uses though.

Rapid motion through space elates one; so does notoriety; so does the possession of money.
pierre shags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #16

Google "gravel road dust control" - there are several solutions available
Old 08-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #17

Ahaaaa....found something useful to control dust in my driveway...

Calcium Chloride

100% pure calcium chloride is also used for some ice melting products.

I ordered some, will mix it with water, soak it into the driveway and see how it works.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #18
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Ahaaaa....found something useful to control dust in my driveway...

Calcium Chloride

100% pure calcium chloride is also used for some ice melting products.

I ordered some, will mix it with water, soak it into the driveway and see how it works.
Yep, it will keep the dust down but it will also rust the heck out of the underside of your car. Definitely a tradeoff here. Have a look at some pics of suspension components on cars that run year around in the "rust belt" before applying. Always good to move forward with eyes wide open.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #19

That's what the RM's around here use for dust control on the gravel roads. It really sticks to vehicles and can be a bear to wash off.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Does anyone know of a dust suppressant for dirt driveways.
gravel drive.. our previous house had a gravel drive it keeps the dust down,

like this.. Bruce Wayne's 2001 S Lapis Blue
(we now have a tarmac drive)

2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote