Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #1

Car jacking question

I plan on changing my gear oil soon and had a question about jacking the car up so it's level for this. I have two jacks and a set of Rhino Ramps. Is it safe to back the car on the ramps and then jack the front of the car up until its level?

asexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #2

I would never get under a car with just jacks holding it up.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
Ex Esso kid

Don't know what others will say about ramps, I do know career mechanics are not fan club members. If it were me, for the job you want to do. I'd jack it on the factory spot first. Then locate the central jack point which is just ahead of the braided steel cable center of the car, (shown in Bentley book). Jack it up there second, then place stands out of your way for safety.

Don't forget the triple square, huge anti tamper you need to drain it.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Safety is often in the eye of the beholder.

With that being said, its is commonly recommended NOT to get under a vehicle supported only by a jack (or pair of jacks). For the best safety, you would want to use a pair of jack stands instead of two jacks.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #5

Thanks for the help! I bought the tools needed for the job. I've never changed the gear oil but I figured I would do it myself after the local shop wanted $250. I have jack stands that I will use. I also have 5 2x12's that I nailed together to place under the car with me as a backup safety measure.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #6

Garage
$25 or less. Makes your garage more manly looking than a bunch of nailed together 2x12s

3 Ton Jack Stands

It's a good cheap investment that you will use more than you think. Best of luck with your project.
Boxster586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #7

i use the ramps all the time when changing the engine oil. (sloped driveway so it's fairly level once on the ramps). once in my garage i needed the car up. used the ramps for the rear and jack stands for the front. i did not like that setup as the car seemed to want to roll and the stands wouldn't have helped at that point. took it down and went to a shop instead.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #8

Haha... I wasn't sure how the jack stands would hold up without the adapter to put on them. Is it hard to get to the drain plug for the gear oil? I have a friend with a lift about two hours away. It may be worth the drive if it's difficult.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #9

Thanks for the link to the jack stands. I think I'll order a set. I've made lots of changes to my Boxster and this gear oil change will finally complete it.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by asexton View Post
Haha... I wasn't sure how the jack stands would hold up without the adapter to put on them. Is it hard to get to the drain plug for the gear oil? I have a friend with a lift about two hours away. It may be worth the drive if it's difficult.
No need for adapters. I use used hockey pucks I had laying around. They work perfectly on those stands I posted earlier.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #11

I'll pick up some hockey pucks too. Great info! I appreciate it.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by asexton View Post
Thanks for the link to the jack stands. I think I'll order a set. I've made lots of changes to my Boxster and this gear oil change will finally complete it.
No need to order. There may be a Harbor Freight store near you. The jack stands I posted are currently on sale for $14.99/set (there's an add in the current Motor Trend magazine).
Old 07-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #13

I found a store in Champaign,IL. which is pretty close to me. I had never even heard of them before. I will probably pick up a new jack while I'm there since I've been working with a cheap 2 ton Walmart jack. It'll be something to keep me busy this weekend and get me away from the gfs crying kids for a few hours
Old 07-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #14
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster586 View Post
No need for adapters. I use used hockey pucks I had laying around. They work perfectly on those stands I posted earlier.
Hockey pucks? Can you describe (or post a photo) of how you use them? Do you just put them between the weird shaped jack stand tops and the differently weirdly shaped Boxster jacking point?
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Hockey pucks? Can you describe (or post a photo) of how you use them? Do you just put them between the weird shaped jack stand tops and the differently weirdly shaped Boxster jacking point?
exactly.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:15 PM   #16

Garage
re: car jacking question

Don't car jack; just buy your own.
jrblackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:24 AM   #17
Ex Esso kid

Made a set of wood circles with mouse pad upside down for grip and scratch resistance, cost is a fraction of a few pucks.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:58 AM   #18

Not trying to start a debate or act like a know it all, but I would never use the ratcheting style of jack stands. I have heard of the rachet mechanism slipping or failing to catch properly. Not saying that these would, but life is too precious to take any more chances than neccessary. I bought a set of heavy duty pin style ones when I was a kid, and have never regretted it. These are not the tinny cheap ones that most auto parts stores sell, that can bend if you don't put the weight on them right. They are HEAVY duty ones that commercial garages use.
Just my 2¢.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:01 AM   #19

My INDY Porsche shop charged me.....$ 43.90 for oil and $ 60.00 labor. The best $ 103.90 I have spent on the car. Got to watch and he earned every penny on that job !!! Safe, clean and professional procedure.
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:43 AM   #20

Garage
Changed gear oil in my 2000 S about four months ago.

Three challenges I found were: 1) Removing the braces and pans that stabilize suspension and protect trans-axle. I had not carefully read the article in 101 Projects before I got under the car describing their removal. So that surprised me a bit. 2) Getting the drain plug and filler plug loosened. I had use a ratcheting tie down strap attached to my truck at one end and the socket ratchet at the other to produce enough force to loosen the drain plug. Would suggest a breaker bar as best tool to use but mine was too short to assist me and my efforts. 3) The viscosity of gear oil and a hand pump while laying on one's back under a car on jack stands will work muscles one normally does not work. ;-)

Also, 2000 S only requires one size hex for both plugs. Other models and I think years require two different sizes and/or styles. Be certain you have correct tools before you begin.

mrjr1000 is offline   Reply With Quote