Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 200
Garage
Call me crazy

I have been looking for quite sometime for the perfect used boxster to come along. I found one at a Lexus dealer, 2002 S, with only 8700 miles. When I first saw it posted online I sent an email to find out what the deal was and why so few miles as they hadn't yet posted photos. The call from the dealer came and he explained how some old guy had this car and only drove it when he was in town at one of his many homes. I was skeptical but I put down some money so I could go take a look and a drive. That was a mistake because as soon as I saw it I couldn't resist. They had it on the showroom floor and it looked like a brand new car. I made them an offer after taking a drive. They gave me a 36,000 mile warranty on the power train and that sold the deal. All the service records are up to date, the dealer put new tires on it even though the ones that were on it still looked new. They changed all the fluids. Now I am kicking myself for not having a pre purchase examination from a reputable Porsche dealer. I have that lined up next week but so far it has been unbelievable to drive. Now I am hoping the inspection doesn't turn up any problems or I may drive off a cliff having been so hasty to jump at the deal. Wish me luck!
1olddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver
 
Deserion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange Park, FL
Posts: 1,236
Garage
Hi, Crazy.

As long as the warranty they gave you is good, and the PPI comes back positive, you should be good to go.

Don't forget to show us pics of this sweet new ride of yours.
__________________
-Chris
2004 Porsche Boxster 2.7
1991 Porsche 911 C2 Targa
1995 Mercedes-Benz E320
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 200
Garage
I will post some pics in a couple of days. On the family vacation and ready to get back home. Thanks for the reply and encouragement.
1olddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
Registered User
 
BruceH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 2,482
Garage
Sweet! Congrats! With the warranty, I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of a PPI. The Lexus mechanics would have taken a look at it and if they would have found anything obvious, the car would have been sent to auction most likely. They have to worry about their reputation, at least you always hope they do. Just my opinion. Looking forward to the pics!
__________________
______________________________________________
2001 Boxster S Lapis Blue
TS Cat Bypass Pipes and exhaust
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Essex, CT United States
Posts: 299
You're crazy.
__________________
2002 Boxster S, Arctic Silver, 18" Turbo Wheels, 6-speed
peterbrown77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
Registered User
 
BYprodriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: O.C. CA
Posts: 3,242
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olddude View Post
I have been looking for quite sometime for the perfect used boxster to come along. I found one at a Lexus dealer, 2002 S, with only 8700 miles. When I first saw it posted online I sent an email to find out what the deal was and why so few miles as they hadn't yet posted photos. The call from the dealer came and he explained how some old guy had this car and only drove it when he was in town at one of his many homes. I was skeptical but I put down some money so I could go take a look and a drive. That was a mistake because as soon as I saw it I couldn't resist. They had it on the showroom floor and it looked like a brand new car. I made them an offer after taking a drive. They gave me a 36,000 mile warranty on the power train and that sold the deal. All the service records are up to date, the dealer put new tires on it even though the ones that were on it still looked new. They changed all the fluids. Now I am kicking myself for not having a pre purchase examination from a reputable Porsche dealer. I have that lined up next week but so far it has been unbelievable to drive. Now I am hoping the inspection doesn't turn up any problems or I may drive off a cliff having been so hasty to jump at the deal. Wish me luck!

Dude! you sound totally normal to me!
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
2006 987
 
986_inquiry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: st. louis
Posts: 442
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbrown77 View Post
You're crazy.
Ditto

For assuming something was wrong

I bought mine with almost 100k no inspection no warranty from dealer.

10,000 miles later all I've done was oil change and air filter

My mechanic looked at, says I need to replace tie rods and brake pads in near future, otherwise all is good


These cars are not that bad
986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_inquiry View Post
These cars are not that bad
Famous last words.

They're great until they break. They don't break that much. You can easily have a clear couple of years. But you could also easily have a long line of problems that soaks up a sum similar to your original purchase price. Many parts are expensive, as is specialist labour.
__________________
Manual '00 3.2 S Arctic Silver
pothole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 188
I saw a funny thread on another forum (non-Porsche) today. The thread was about the 981 and a dude posted that he owned a 2002 986S for 2 years and got rid of it this year to buy a new E550. He said words to the effect of "Loved the car but I worried about the IMS letting go every single day. Breathed a sigh of relief when I traded it on the E550 and I've never looked back."

I pointed out that it was a shame he had lived in such fear for 2 years over the small possibility of a $five-figure engine failure in the Boxster, when he was perfectly happy to accept the 100% assurance of a five-figure depreciation of his E-class the moment he signed the papers for it, and never lost a moment's sleep over that. It's all a matter of perspective.

(to be fair, wives tend to take the latter with equanimity and the former with horror!)
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
Carnut
 
AndyA6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 774
Not crazy! If the deal was so good why not change the IMS and have peace of mind?
__________________
'14 Boxster
AndyA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 7,236
Just remember that the powertrain warranty is nice to have, but there's a lot of other crap that wears out with time or miles or a combination of both on our cars. Fortunately, you have so few miles on the car that the suspension parts and radiator fans and so forth have not been used much and will probably last you a good long time.

If your PPI comes back clean as a whistle (and I suspect it will) you should spend the money for an IMS upgrade or at the very least, an IMS guardian system. (Intermediate Shaft Bearing).

BTW, they were smart putting new tires on the car. Ten years is the max for tires, regardless of tread depth.
__________________
'97 Boxster (Black Hole for 42,000 Dead Presidents and counting) - 122k
New motor, transmission, suspension, and on and on and on it goes...
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 200
Garage
I think the advice to upgrade the IMS is great advice. The Lexus salesman did tell me that if their mechanics had found anything wrong with the car they would have sent it to auction. Seriously, the car looks like it just came from the factory. After a clean PPI I will start to celebrate, otherwise I suppose I am crazy. Its the most fun I have ever had driving so I have that going for me. Thanks for all the input and advice.
1olddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #13
Certified Boxster Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,476
Hah! I love people who act on impluse and without forethought. Reminds me of myself sometimes. And yes, a Porsche can do that to people and don't think that you're alone in this regard.

Congratulations are definitely in order and good luck with the PPI!
__________________
1999 996 C2 - sold - bought back - sold for more
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #14
Registered User
 
BYprodriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: O.C. CA
Posts: 3,242
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Just remember that the powertrain warranty is nice to have, but there's a lot of other crap that wears out with time or miles or a combination of both on our cars. Fortunately, you have so few miles on the car that the suspension parts and radiator fans and so forth have not been used much and will probably last you a good long time.

If your PPI comes back clean as a whistle (and I suspect it will) you should spend the money for an IMS upgrade or at the very least, an IMS guardian system. (Intermediate Shaft Bearing).

BTW, they were smart putting new tires on the car. Ten years is the max for tires, regardless of tread depth.
All manufacturers warrantys expire after 5 years on tires, which is the average useful life unless properly stored.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:01 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Olin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 37
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker View Post
I saw a funny thread on another forum (non-Porsche) today. The thread was about the 981 and a dude posted that he owned a 2002 986S for 2 years and got rid of it this year to buy a new E550. He said words to the effect of "Loved the car but I worried about the IMS letting go every single day. Breathed a sigh of relief when I traded it on the E550 and I've never looked back."

I pointed out that it was a shame he had lived in such fear for 2 years over the small possibility of a $five-figure engine failure in the Boxster, when he was perfectly happy to accept the 100% assurance of a five-figure depreciation of his E-class the moment he signed the papers for it, and never lost a moment's sleep over that. It's all a matter of perspective.

(to be fair, wives tend to take the latter with equanimity and the former with horror!)
After being a non believer on this possible IMS problem, I made some enquiries with the "after market" Porsche workshop that looks after my Coxster.

This problem is now becoming more prevelant over here now, simply because the cars are getting older and as the more K's or miles go on the chances of an IMS failure happening increases

So for $2000 AUD close enough though to the USD, the new bearing goes in, the car gets a service and a slightly weeping transmission seal will be replaced.

Pretty happy with that, new motor for 986S here is apparently $23000.00 or thereabouts plus the fitting etc.

Also from what I understand the guardian is a good idea, but once the buzzer alerts you of the failure the damage is done, albeit if you shut the engine down straight away and get a flat bed tow, damage may be minimized .

I have nearly 140,000 k's on mine, and can't handle the thought of the IMS letting go
in some remote location.

IMHO bite the bullet and get the replacement bearing...just in case the worse happens
__________________
" Here's to swimmin with bow-legged women" (Quint - JAWS)
Olin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Idaho Red Rocket 3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nampa, ID.
Posts: 488
How much did the deal cost you ? Car versus warranty ?
__________________
2000 Boxster S
And then there are the Motorcycles.
Idaho Red Rocket 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 200
Garage
Out the door was just shy of 22 grand. Pretty close to what I found on Kelly Blue Book.
__________________
2002 Boxster S
Arctic Silver Metalic
Gray leather/Black Top
1olddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 200
Garage
Here it is with a clean bill of health, my "new" 2002 S, a garage queen with only 8700 miles (soon to change big time). PPI turned out perfect but I think I will do the IMS upgrade sooner than later just for some peace of mind. Sure is a fun ride!

__________________
2002 Boxster S
Arctic Silver Metalic
Gray leather/Black Top
1olddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #19
Registered User
 
Jager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,814
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olddude View Post
Here it is with a clean bill of health, my "new" 2002 S, a garage queen with only 8700 miles (soon to change big time). PPI turned out perfect but I think I will do the IMS upgrade sooner than later just for some peace of mind. Sure is a fun ride!

It is perfect! I like the wheels! Is it a manual or tip transmission?
__________________
Jäger

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #20
Registered User
 
BruceH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 2,482
Garage
Love it! Congratulations on a very nice Boxster! Love the wheels too.
__________________
______________________________________________
2001 Boxster S Lapis Blue
TS Cat Bypass Pipes and exhaust
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page