Thread: Call me crazy
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 01:01 AM   #15
Olin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker View Post
I saw a funny thread on another forum (non-Porsche) today. The thread was about the 981 and a dude posted that he owned a 2002 986S for 2 years and got rid of it this year to buy a new E550. He said words to the effect of "Loved the car but I worried about the IMS letting go every single day. Breathed a sigh of relief when I traded it on the E550 and I've never looked back."

I pointed out that it was a shame he had lived in such fear for 2 years over the small possibility of a $five-figure engine failure in the Boxster, when he was perfectly happy to accept the 100% assurance of a five-figure depreciation of his E-class the moment he signed the papers for it, and never lost a moment's sleep over that. It's all a matter of perspective.

(to be fair, wives tend to take the latter with equanimity and the former with horror!)
After being a non believer on this possible IMS problem, I made some enquiries with the "after market" Porsche workshop that looks after my Coxster.

This problem is now becoming more prevelant over here now, simply because the cars are getting older and as the more K's or miles go on the chances of an IMS failure happening increases

So for $2000 AUD close enough though to the USD, the new bearing goes in, the car gets a service and a slightly weeping transmission seal will be replaced.

Pretty happy with that, new motor for 986S here is apparently $23000.00 or thereabouts plus the fitting etc.

Also from what I understand the guardian is a good idea, but once the buzzer alerts you of the failure the damage is done, albeit if you shut the engine down straight away and get a flat bed tow, damage may be minimized .

I have nearly 140,000 k's on mine, and can't handle the thought of the IMS letting go
in some remote location.

IMHO bite the bullet and get the replacement bearing...just in case the worse happens