Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #1

Garage
Any Serious Cyclists ?

Any serious road cyclists on the forum ?

Old 07-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Big time into cycling! 10K+ miles on my Kestral 200sci/Campy Chorus road bike. Have ridden all over LA and various parts of California. I ride in all conditions from 100F to pouring rain. Raced a bit as a Cat 5/4 and generally sucked at it (too old, too fat). One of my most valued objects (well, besides the 986) is a nicely framed signed photo of Lance Armstrong from his first Tour win.

And I get to wear Lycra.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #3

I was at one time but I've gotten a little soft. My road bike is on the stand in the garage I still ride my single speed to somewhat stay in shape.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #4

Funny you should ask! Biked regularly just out of high school and through college, on an old Bianchi that weighs double what bikes weigh now. STILL have it, cannot throw it away, even though it's hopelessly outdated and in desperate need of repair...too many wonderful memories, including rides with a super close friend who's no longer with us. Then...blink of an eye...and thirty years have gone by.

Did pick up a mountain bike a few years ago. In this area of Ohio there's lots of Metro Parks, and what they call the Tow Path, where horses and mules used to tow barges up and down the canal system back in the 19th century. The areas have been turned into biking/hiking trails for the public. Figured the mountain bike would be the perfect choice...until I got a dog, THEN I decided I'd rather walk these trails with Jake, my four-legged buddy (a choice I've never once regretted). BUT...as a result, haven't put a lot of miles on the mtn bike.

Lately (and I'm talkin' the last few days) I've re-developed the itch to get back on the road, and don't really want to use the mtn bike---it's just too much work to cover any distance. Sooooo, been startin' to look around for a road bike to fill the need. Can't go too expensive (I own a Box, remember? Have to save those pennies for when the control arms or the AOS or the coolant tank, etc, need replacing.) Peg me as a cheapskate if you must, but I'm trying to keep this transaction under $1K.

Literally JUST TODAY started looking. Have looked at the Giant Defy series, the Specialized Allez and Secteur models, and the Cannondale CAAD series. Am intrigued by what I've read about the Trek 1.1 and 1.2, the Marin Argenta A6 2300, and the Orbea Aqua T23 models.

I'm still very much in the early part of the learning curve right now...anyone wanting to shoot some suggestions my way, have at it!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
02 box s

sadly i just sold my triumph thruxton. luckily i still have my yamaha 1300 tourer. i don't think i could go without any cycle. oh, wait a minute. you're talking about BICYCLES.
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt brad View Post
sadly i just sold my triumph thruxton. luckily i still have my yamaha 1300 tourer. i don't think i could go without any cycle. oh, wait a minute. you're talking about BICYCLES.
Just because the cast of Hee-Haw aren't' cyclists - doesn't mean you can't be one .
Old 07-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Funny you should ask! Biked regularly just out of high school and through college, on an old Bianchi that weighs double what bikes weigh now. STILL have it, cannot throw it away, even though it's hopelessly outdated and in desperate need of repair...too many wonderful memories, including rides with a super close friend who's no longer with us. Then...blink of an eye...and thirty years have gone by.

Did pick up a mountain bike a few years ago. In this area of Ohio there's lots of Metro Parks, and what they call the Tow Path, where horses and mules used to tow barges up and down the canal system back in the 19th century. The areas have been turned into biking/hiking trails for the public. Figured the mountain bike would be the perfect choice...until I got a dog, THEN I decided I'd rather walk these trails with Jake, my four-legged buddy (a choice I've never once regretted). BUT...as a result, haven't put a lot of miles on the mtn bike.

Lately (and I'm talkin' the last few days) I've re-developed the itch to get back on the road, and don't really want to use the mtn bike---it's just too much work to cover any distance. Sooooo, been startin' to look around for a road bike to fill the need. Can't go too expensive (I own a Box, remember? Have to save those pennies for when the control arms or the AOS or the coolant tank, etc, need replacing.) Peg me as a cheapskate if you must, but I'm trying to keep this transaction under $1K.

Literally JUST TODAY started looking. Have looked at the Giant Defy series, the Specialized Allez and Secteur models, and the Cannondale CAAD series. Am intrigued by what I've read about the Trek 1.1 and 1.2, the Marin Argenta A6 2300, and the Orbea Aqua T23 models.

I'm still very much in the early part of the learning curve right now...anyone wanting to shoot some suggestions my way, have at it!
Keep in mind, regardless of whether a person is in the market for a 1K bike or a 20K bike, fit optimization is important . If you want to send me a PM , I could probably give you a general idea as where you might be in terms of size/cockpit .
Old 07-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #8

Garage
I think I'll stick with my Harley, all my exercise consists of twisting my right wrist.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #9

I am a MTB weekend warrior (Klein Attitude), but it's just too damn hot this time of year and my 50hr work weeks are getting in the way. I just purchased a lightly used Cinelli Starlight and hope to start using it for my 10 mile commute when the weather cools a bit. I also ride a 40 year old Triumph T100R but that does not require any physical stamina to pilot, just patience and mechanical aptitude....
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Any serious road cyclists on the forum ?
Depends on what you classify as serious. A few years ago, i trained for a century ride on the seacost here in nh and consistentantly rode 30 miles 4xweek and longer rides on saturday and sunday. This season i get out for 23-32 a few times per week. My new toy a 2006 boxter takes up some of that weekend time. Currently riding a motobecane
LeChampion and love it.

I have been lurking for a few weeks now and should probabally do an intro.
nyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #11

Garage
I use to be a serious road cyclist but now I spend saddle time on my mountain bike (Santa Cruz Lightweight). I know it’s like a tank compared to the new road bikes but I enjoy it… I can go just about anywhere.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #12
Mobile Porsche Surgeon

How serious?

http://www.mikesspecialtyautomotiveservice.com/index.html
Early 1996 / 97 Boxster, 130 k, De snorkeled, IMS, Top Speed Headers.
kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:08 AM   #13

Lets see. Two weekends ago I did the NW Ohio MS Bike to the Bay. Saturday I did the Century ride over to Port Clinton and then Sunday I did the 75 back to Toledo. This morning (after 10 days of rest) I will be getting back on that horse for a little 15 to 20 mile stretch.

Not sure if that classifies me at "serious"?
Old 07-04-2012, 03:03 AM   #14

Been riding since college, 1983. Got a job in a shop that year after the bug bit and by the end of the year I'd built a Campy Nuovo Record equipped Peugeot Super Competition that I loved almost as much as my trashy old 240z. Like Frodo, I still have it. Despite a succession of titanium and then carbon road bikes, I still ride the Peugeot several times a month. I converted her to a fixie several years ago but still have the old deraillrurs if I want to go back.
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:48 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmir View Post
I know that bike -it's a Look 595 TT ! I have the road version of it (with 11 spd Campy Super Record) ! Even though it's now been replaced by the 695, it's still an extraordinary frame . I won't part with mine !
Old 07-04-2012, 04:18 AM   #16

I ride about 100 miles a week - in the gym!

I have dabbled in street riding, but just can't get to the point where I trust he cars out there on the road. Here in Atlanta, there are way too many distracted drivers on cell phones and work trucks racing to their next job.

Recently we had an acquaintance who was killed by a truck while riding his bike early one morning - be careful out there...

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:46 AM   #17

I have an all chrome 1961 J C Higgins that fits anyone. White wall tires !!!
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:58 AM   #18
Mobile Porsche Surgeon

Michael Schumacher

So the day after the Canadian Grand Prix, Michael Schumacher purchased two Scott 29ers from me. I would classify him as just serious.

http://www.mikesspecialtyautomotiveservice.com/index.html
Early 1996 / 97 Boxster, 130 k, De snorkeled, IMS, Top Speed Headers.
kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #19
02 box s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Just because the cast of Hee-Haw aren't' cyclists - doesn't mean you can't be one .
good one
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #20

Did 36 miles this am, averaging 19 mph with 10 other guys in 94 degree temps..I am serious for a 54 year old who has been riding since age 13 on the road...:-)

Motobob is offline   Reply With Quote