Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #21
recycledsixtie

Garage
Many years ago I was hiking and camping near Premier Lake BC about a 5 hour drive west of here. I talked to a cyclist/camper who had cycled from the US. Can't remember where he was from but he was hundreds(1000's ?) away from home. I was amazed at the distance he had covered. Another serious cyclist. Carrying camping gear etc. makes it even more impressive.

recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #22
Porscheectomy

I spent the better part of 26 years (my first road bike at 14) chasing down every hill I could find in Colorado. There are a few of them.

I can honestly say that I loved every minute of it. Well, except for the idiots who yell at you, honk at you and throw things at you. This is seriously not a stereotype, they almost always are driving pick-up trucks. I averaged a couple thousand miles a season. But age and the 90-100 rpm cadance has caught up with me and my knee can't take the abuse any more.

It's a little heart wrenching every time I see a group of cyclists go by.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt brad View Post
sadly i just sold my triumph thruxton. luckily i still have my yamaha 1300 tourer. i don't think i could go without any cycle. oh, wait a minute. you're talking about BICYCLES.
Glad you finally hooked someone on the Thruxton Brad, hope the Boxster's treating you well.......

I hammered out some miles this morning (7am), and it was STILL freakin hot at that hour..............
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #24

Garage
1500 miles so far this year. Wish I had a bike rack on the Porsche.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #25

Used to be fairly serious, but that was back in the days of Eddy Merckx.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #26

My bike is worth more than my Porsche...does that make me serious or just crazy?

/
Old 07-05-2012, 03:41 AM   #27

Did 200km in 2 days at the Ride to Conquer Cancer in June. A lot of fun and for a good cause.
Boxster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:41 AM   #28

Garage
[QUOTE=fatmike;296496]My bike is worth more than my Porsche...does that make me serious or just crazy?

What are you riding for a bike ?
Old 07-05-2012, 05:43 AM   #29

Garage
Cyclists?

I own a road bike but I prefer singletrack.
jrblackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #30

[QUOTE=Johnny Danger;296513]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike View Post
My bike is worth more than my Porsche...does that make me serious or just crazy?

What are you riding for a bike ?

I think this is more a function of my Boxster not really being worth very much (and I am exaggerating a little)...

I'm on a Serotta (built up with Campy and Enve wheels). I am looking for a new rig, maybe a Parlee or Calfee.

I ride about 7,000 miles a year which is about the same that goes on the Boxster.

/
Old 07-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #31

Garage
[QUOTE=fatmike;296529]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post

I think this is more a function of my Boxster not really being worth very much (and I am exaggerating a little)...

I'm on a Serotta (built up with Campy and Enve wheels). I am looking for a new rig, maybe a Parlee or Calfee.

I ride about 7,000 miles a year which is about the same that goes on the Boxster.

I'm surrounded by the best of the best ! I'd be happy to give you my recommendation !

/
Old 07-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #32

[QUOTE=Johnny Danger;296548]

I plan to keep the Serotta. I'm really looking for an "A" and "B" bike. The new rig will be different. I'm looking for carbon, with a drivetrain that is stiff as hell, but I don't want race geometry and it has to be comfortable for a day in the saddle.

I've test ridden a bunch of bikes, and the Parlee is leading so far. I will ride the Calfee Dragonfly and make a decision. I suspect they will be similar, so the paint on the Calfee could be the deciding factor. I am a big fan of their "translucent rootbeer fade" (check out their web site for a picture).

Johnny - tell us more about yourself. Are you in the business? A roadie?
Old 07-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #33

[QUOTE=fatmike;296554]
Quote:

I've test ridden a bunch of bikes, and the Parlee is leading so far. I will ride the Calfee Dragonfly and make a decision. ?
You should go bamboo. It's real.
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #34

I have a 2008 Cannondale Six13. I put on about 50-75 miles a week on it. Just did a 20 mile ride on it yesterday. I love riding!
19" MHT Rims
Evo Intake, De-Snorkeled
CVstarBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #35

Garage
[QUOTE=fatmike;296554]
Quote:

I plan to keep the Serotta. I'm really looking for an "A" and "B" bike. The new rig will be different. I'm looking for carbon, with a drivetrain that is stiff as hell, but I don't want race geometry and it has to be comfortable for a day in the saddle.

I've test ridden a bunch of bikes, and the Parlee is leading so far. I will ride the Calfee Dragonfly and make a decision. I suspect they will be similar, so the paint on the Calfee could be the deciding factor. I am a big fan of their "translucent rootbeer fade" (check out their web site for a picture).

Johnny - tell us more about yourself. Are you in the business? A roadie?
Let's say that I have strong ties to the "industry" . In any case, the purpose of this thread is to see if there's any correlation between car enthusiast and cyclists. And, as one can see there is . Furthermore, I'm getting ready to launch a new cycling web-site of my own that's solely aimed toward "roadies" (and cyclo-crossers) who especially appreciate upper end bikes, componentry, ,apparel and the like . The site is going to consist of a large scale forum with an extensive content categorization breakdown, along with a marketplace and media platform that will allow members as well as supporters the opportunity to imbed videos that pertain to everything from product information, training, fit optimization, racing coverage etc.. I'm really hoping to target the enthusiast who's has a more elevated sense of cycling, and is looking for a site with both substance and visual appeal over the more pedestrian sites that are out there (i.e. Road Bike Reviews & Cycling Forums). The site is actually set to launch in just a few days or so . I'll post it when it launches .
Old 07-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #36

[QUOTE=Johnny Danger;296597]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike View Post

Let's say that I have strong ties to the "industry" . In any case, the purpose of this thread is to see if there's any correlation between car enthusiast and cyclists. And, as one can see there is . Furthermore, I'm getting ready to launch a new cycling web-site of my own that's solely aimed toward "roadies" (and cyclo-crossers) who especially appreciate upper end bikes, componentry, ,apparel and the like . The site is going to consist of a large scale forum with an extensive content categorization breakdown, along with a marketplace and media platform that will allow members as well as supporters the opportunity to imbed videos that pertain to everything from product information, training, fit optimization, racing coverage etc.. I'm really hoping to target the enthusiast who's has a more elevated sense of cycling, and is looking for a site with both substance and visual appeal over the more pedestrian sites that are out there (i.e. Road Bike Reviews & Cycling Forums). The site is actually set to launch in just a few days or so . I'll post it when it launches .

There definitely is a connection between car enthusiasts and cyclists. One of my crew knows what every classic car is on sight & goes out of his way to wave/talk to the drivers. Another fella I ride with has a tricked out 20 year old Jeep Grand Cherokee that is fantastic. And, I'm the monkey with a bike rack on my Boxster...

There is a lack of quality cycling forums (the wankmeister rocks though). I look forward to seeing your creation.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #37

Garage
OK... How many of you have one of these sitting in your living room:

I do!

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #38

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
OK... How many of you have one of these sitting in your living room:

I do!
Do you have the Stair Chair as well ?
Old 07-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #39

Garage
Quote:
Do you have the Stair Chair as well ?
As a matter of fact I do.

300K Mile Club

Last edited by Jager; 07-05-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:46 AM   #40

I used to be big into single track, but spend time driving & getting fat now.

I love the road bike tech, but just can't bring myself to put on those stupid shorts.

My dad has a Dura Ace USPS Trek 5900, which is fun to ride.