View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
Frodo

Funny you should ask! Biked regularly just out of high school and through college, on an old Bianchi that weighs double what bikes weigh now. STILL have it, cannot throw it away, even though it's hopelessly outdated and in desperate need of repair...too many wonderful memories, including rides with a super close friend who's no longer with us. Then...blink of an eye...and thirty years have gone by.

Did pick up a mountain bike a few years ago. In this area of Ohio there's lots of Metro Parks, and what they call the Tow Path, where horses and mules used to tow barges up and down the canal system back in the 19th century. The areas have been turned into biking/hiking trails for the public. Figured the mountain bike would be the perfect choice...until I got a dog, THEN I decided I'd rather walk these trails with Jake, my four-legged buddy (a choice I've never once regretted). BUT...as a result, haven't put a lot of miles on the mtn bike.

Lately (and I'm talkin' the last few days) I've re-developed the itch to get back on the road, and don't really want to use the mtn bike---it's just too much work to cover any distance. Sooooo, been startin' to look around for a road bike to fill the need. Can't go too expensive (I own a Box, remember? Have to save those pennies for when the control arms or the AOS or the coolant tank, etc, need replacing.) Peg me as a cheapskate if you must, but I'm trying to keep this transaction under $1K.

Literally JUST TODAY started looking. Have looked at the Giant Defy series, the Specialized Allez and Secteur models, and the Cannondale CAAD series. Am intrigued by what I've read about the Trek 1.1 and 1.2, the Marin Argenta A6 2300, and the Orbea Aqua T23 models.

I'm still very much in the early part of the learning curve right now...anyone wanting to shoot some suggestions my way, have at it!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote