Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 07:57 AM   #81

Ppl who had suffered IMS issues, and can be proven that it was no fault of their ownership such as never changing an oil or throwing in some supercharger, should be compensated.
That is what's right. Simple as that.

Ppl who are worried but have not had IMS problems should not be compensated. Ofcourse its noted that their ownership of such vehicles will be hurt but who really bought this vehicle just to resell it for a huge trade in?

cbbepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #82

Garage
Mark after all the advise you have given me in my brief boxster life I feel proud to give someback. So far so great on my 1998 94,000 silver/red porsche-had records -sensors replaced- until last three years when young girl just drove it she changed oil and bought a tire-so I bought another extended warranty from company that took care of my dead Focus that I showed my intependant Porsche man-he said it looks good but until IT happens you never know
I love your black boxster but your new offer sounds great-ljt_22
ljt_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #83

Hey Larry - sorry dude, but I'm not quite sure what it is you're trying to tell me, or what offer you refer to. It's probably just me being dense, but maybe you could indulge on old fellow and elaborate a bit...
Old 06-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #84

Garage
Hey Mark my mistake I will send to the right person
ljt_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #85
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSW View Post
First time posting, here's my question. Would this stop any of you from buying a Boxster? I'm considering a 98 with 84,000 km (Canada). Never driven in winter excellent condition. Yes or No?
I'd buy a Boxster again in a millisecond. I bought my car with 82,000 miles and it has 110,000 miles now. The car has been tracked extensively and has been driven cumulatively at or near redline for several dozens of hours. I have replaced the RMS and clutch and never worried about replacing the IMSB. Its not gambling when the odds are stacked (>90%) in your favor and when the worst case expense (replacing the engine) is fairly minimal ($4k for a used engine + $2K install = $6K total). Sure you can spend more and there are plenty of shops that will gladly take your money but that is all you really have to spend to get the car back on the road.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 06-20-2012 at 11:55 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #86

Garage
I will happily go on the record as a Porsche ( big soulless megacorp) apologist. They build awesome products, should be applauded for their lifelong contribution to Motorsport and are smart enough to be profitable. Sounds fine to me. Oh and I have always been treated kindly by the dealership even though I have never bought a car from them.

Last edited by landrovered; 06-20-2012 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Spelling
landrovered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #87

What's kinda funny is that out of all the "sue Porsche for the IMS" threads I've seen, not one person that I am aware of has ever actually approached a law firm about handling a class action suit. It's all just a lot of noise and hoping that "someone else" will do it. I also tend to think that if there was any reasonable possibility then some law firm would have already snatched up the torch.

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
I went with Ganesh for my dash.
They sell a bobble head Ganesh??? Cool.
rdc8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #89

Gotta love Ebay!
Old 06-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #90

If I was truly concern about IMS and the potential $$$ cost, rather than waiting for THE EVENT to happen, I would just sell the car.
But like most, I'm addicted to the style, handling, etc, etc of my 2001 base 2.7L Boxster. It now has 121K miles.

sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote