Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 07:07 AM   #81
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
I disagree. For better or worse, the Box is a mass market car. Most owners don't have a clue. I'd be surprised if as many as 3/10 Boxster owners had any clue about the IMS bearing or even that their car has such a thing.
New owners probably knew...but most knew owners only ever have those cars for a few years which means they are under warranty so no need for them to even think about that bearing issue.

I am putting a new LN bearing in my car and I will be pissed if I take our good bearing to put in one that fails. But there is a risk with either bearing I guess. The more I read that post about the LN bearing failures on this thread the less it seems that LN is certain about the single row bearing.

2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:15 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
New owners probably knew...but most knew owners only ever have those cars for a few years which means they are under warranty so no need for them to even think about that bearing issue.

I am putting a new LN bearing in my car and I will be pissed if I take our good bearing to put in one that fails. But there is a risk with either bearing I guess. The more I read that post about the LN bearing failures on this thread the less it seems that LN is certain about the single row bearing.
What did you read about LN failures ?
Old 07-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #83
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by The French Dude View Post
What did you read about LN failures ?
First dont get me wrong...I went on to google and typed in LN IMS failures and you will see a few stories out there...not just boxsters. I did not change the bearing on my first box and it was an 02 with 37000 miles. But, not many failures and I am not trying to start a feud with anyone...specifically LN, but there are some stories out there. As I said earlier in posts though, sounds like maybe the bearing was not installed properly which could lead to failure. My mechanic worked for years at a P dealer and started his fix it company back in 01 and has done many of these and has not seen any failure from his work...but my thing is merely out of nerves. My car has 17000 miles and I would not dream of NOT doing the upgrade but nerves...Bearing that has not failed to replace with one that is not 100% gauranteed to NOT fail.

We always read about how we NEED to do this...it is an absolute must but then read that even with the single row upgrade there has been failures? 5 or so out of a few thousand is a great number but according to Porsche only 5% failure out of hundreds of thousands?

Again - The more I type the more I want to keep my mouth shut. I AM doing the bearing upgrade on the 5th...just prey nothing happens after that!
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
Old 07-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post

If you are that concerned, give Charles Navarro, the owner of LN a call, he will openly discuss the handful of failures out of the thousands of units installed, and tell you exactly how many failed and why. Charles is very open on this subject, so stop speculating or worrying and give him a call.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #85
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
If you are that concerned, give Charles Navarro, the owner of LN a call, he will openly discuss the handful of failures out of the thousands of units installed, and tell you exactly how many failed and why. Charles is very open on this subject, so stop speculating or worrying and give him a call.
Exactly why I said I should keep my mouth shut. Not speculating anything but spending this kind of dough on a 17000 miles porsche makes me sick to my stomach for me and anyone else who has to do this for peace of mind. As I said...I am already scheduled to do it and wouldn't not do it but of course...as with anything mechanical it can fail as well.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #86

Hehe ! I will also do the upgrade anyway !
Old 08-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #87
2001 Boxster S

If there is buyers' remorse, what would this be? Pre-purchase jitters?

Goog luck, Trimer! I'm sure it would work out fine! Just add some miles in a hurry so you've got lots of fond memories to look back on when your Box eventually goes to car heaven! Nothing lasts forever.
Dgnarvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:42 AM   #88

Uppppppp Good Luck

lamaolopgiare2013 is offline   Reply With Quote