Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #21

Everyone seems to love my little red Box. gets more attention than I thought it would. I think early 986s are now old enough to not attract to much negative attention from the anti-money brigade. They also have a sort of small sports car vibe that most people tend to be pretty well disposed towards. The 987 looks a lot bigger (even though it's only slightly bigger) and more vulgar.

I expected most people to hate it to be honest, so have been pleasantly surprised. Few if any "why didn't you buy a 911 comments". People just think it's a pretty little car.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #22
jakesbox

My 356 replica was never without a crowd. It was beautiful signal red with tan and a really nice car. I could not go anywhere without pics being taken etc. sold it and biught a real porsche and in the past 3 months have heard 1 time...nice car...lol! Thats ok. I smile when i drive it!
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #23
Mobile Porsche Surgeon

In my neck of the woods the maids drive boxsters, this is what shows up at our local $tarbucks.

http://www.mikesspecialtyautomotiveservice.com/index.html
Early 1996 / 97 Boxster, 130 k, De snorkeled, IMS, Top Speed Headers.
kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #24

Wow, we have some of those here but they are very far and few between.
LightngSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #25

Garage
My car can't draw.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #26
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Sure it can. You just need to press the gas pedal harder and crank the wheel.

e's are easy...
Old 05-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #27

In my neck of the woods Boxsters are as exotic as a Honda Civic or Toyota Camry
The only attention I get is from 10 year olds boys when I drop my daughter off at her school in the morning
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #28

I am still learning to shift well and while practicing higher rev takeoffs I get folks trying to race me.

As soon as I get to the speed limit I settle down though. There's no limit on how fast you can accelerate to the speed limit, and I routinely prove the 0-60 in under 5.5 seconds because it makes me smile.

I noticed that Porsche drivers are always smiling;

1 - because your car handles like a dream
2 - because you have nothing to prove and it bugs people in other kinds of cars
3 - because there are no kids in the back
4 - because sometimes you have a hot girl in the passenger seat
5 - because even not so hot girls and guys automatically seem hotter in a Porsche
6 - Because you can take your DD to the Track and be competetive
7 - Because other folks decided to buy/drive less interesting or boring cars that are a dime a dozen
8 - Because other folks have not discovered that Porsches can be affordable.
9 - Because you have the history, design and performance of Porsche in your car.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 05-29-2012 at 11:36 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #29
Custom User Title Here

Garage
That's a good run down. I've tried to take the moderate approach when it comes to "ricer racers", though Mustang Sallies(18yr old guys in daddy's Ford) are the worst.

BTW, most states have laws against displays of speed, like taking off fast, even if you keep it under the limit. We do here. Not that it stops me when I feel the need...
Old 05-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #30

I think in CA, exhibition of speed needs something beside purely fast acceleration.

Meaning smoking tires, squealing tires, or rubber mark on ground.
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:44 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
My 356 replica was never without a crowd. It was beautiful signal red with tan and a really nice car. I could not go anywhere without pics being taken etc. sold it and biught a real porsche and in the past 3 months have heard 1 time...nice car...lol!
Well, wait till the Boxster's 50 years old. Probably get the same response about it!

I get a lot more attention (meaning nearly 100 % of people checking it out, and many, many conversations) about my '68 Cadillac convertible. Not so much the Boxster. While far from ubiquitous, it is a very common car in most big cities, I would think.

I did have a funny incident a few years back in a small, north Georgia mountain town while getting gas (think Deliverance ) I paid and the lady said, "That's a purdy Porsche." I thanked her and said, "It's been a lot of fun." My brother, who was driving his 2002 Carrera Cab with me was next in line. She looked out the front door at his car. "And yores is purdy too. Is that the new Camaro?"

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 05-29-2012 at 05:37 AM.
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:34 AM   #32

I get looks all the time.

Lots of little kids staring and pointing.

I also get looks from adults and teens.

Last week, this guy nearly stopped his Lexus SC430(our competitor) in the middle of the road to watch me drive passed him. He made me laugh. I saw him eyeing my car in his mirror and out his window.

I also get teens looking and pointing from their Scion's when I drive by.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #33
2 fast 4 U

I do get the occasional look and compliment on the car. The car is in great shape and is red so I guess that tends to attract.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #34

Garage
In three years I've not been pulled over pull in the boxster, but I've been pulled over twice in my pickup BS no tickets. So the ploilce in Pa seem to leave us alone. I get allot of doubletakes. Hondas with big mufflers WRX s and Eclipse seem to all think they are your match. F250 with huge tires allway want to screw with you? haven't quite figured that out yet. but it ammusing.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
In three years I've not been pulled over pull in the boxster, but I've been pulled over twice in my pickup BS no tickets. So the ploilce in Pa seem to leave us alone. I get allot of doubletakes. Hondas with big mufflers WRX s and Eclipse seem to all think they are your match. F250 with huge tires allway want to screw with you? haven't quite figured that out yet. but it ammusing.
F250 with huge tires ? Sounds like "Good old Boys" from NC. Don't mess with them. They hate Porsches and drink Moonshine.
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #36
2005, Tiptronic

I did get one funny comment not too long ago from a little girl down the street. She's maybe 5 or 6 years old and was playing with her friends in her front yard. When I stopped at the stop sign (they live on the corner), she waved and then yelled "your sports car sure is shiny".

Her referring to it specifically as a sports car struck me as a funny comment coming from such a small girl. I told her thanks.
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #37

Garage
I live in a fairly small town and my 2000 base Boxster gets more attention than I ever thought it would. I agree with the others about the surprising number of people in big trucks that want to race me. It happens often and I don't get it.
jrblackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #38

Garage
I get that often too. People see the Porsche badge and think my 2000 base Boxster must cost as much as a house.
jrblackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #39

Monster (big) truck drivers think small cars are slow..not this car with a badge with "Stuttgard" written on it.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #40

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel-Box-ster View Post
Monster (big) truck drivers think small cars are slow..not this car with a badge with "Stuttgard" written on it.
Sounds like you need a new badge.