Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #1

What Kind of Attention Does Your Car draw?

Im wondering about what kind of both positive and negative attention your cars bring? Do you get admiring glances and people asking about the car or find people mess with your cars in parking lots (door dings, etc)? Most importantly what about cops? Do you get pulled over more frequently, or for no apparent reason (not talking about the times your caught testing the redline ).

LightngSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Chicks think they are cute, cops think they are cute, angry disenfranchised youth think they are a symbol of everything they hate, rice rockets always want to race, 8 yr old boys love the sound they make, your co-workers think you make too much money, 997 Carrera S and Lamborghini owners get really annoyed when you drive around them at the track. (that last part is my personal favorite part)
Old 05-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Lots of attention, all positive. Everyone respects and admires a convertible Porsche. Young men ask me if I'll trade them cars monthly. Kids stop, stare, and point. Women try not to look but they do anyway. Everyone thinks that you're rich. 911 drivers hate it when you pass them on the track. And the only cop that has ever pulled me over (for speeding, of course) let me go with a warning.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 05-26-2012 at 08:28 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Pretty well said, above.

Except for the chick part...they seem to stare, smile, and wave more than others. I don't like it and I think I'm going to sell the car. The female attention is nice, of course, but I don't like being the center of attention everywhere I go. Here in the middle of the country, Porsches are rare and other exotics are basically non-existent.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #5

Garage
The attention does get a bit tiring , my last car, a 190sl , always brought smiles and comments
and the usual " what year is it?" I put the year on the license plate holder - didn't make any difference.
Most of the comments I get is about the color but there is also the dumb " Do you want to trade for my Toyota , Ford , Bobcat......................

but I've never had a negative comment or worse vandalism with the car which I had with
my Corvette several times.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:33 PM   #6

Maybe living in the bay area is different than the rest of the country, but woman folks around here seems to pay more attention to a nice 'fixie' than a Porsche.

Once a coworker ( chick ) ask me what car I drive .. I told her .. she had a look on her face like "why .. ?".

Another time while chit chatting @ work my boss found out I have a "Porsche" and got that look on his face like "D@mn .. am I paying you that much?" .. I had to immediately tell him its an old old one to put his world back right side up. Then the conversation led to how I must pay out the butt to maintain an old Porsche .. fun times .. I pretty much just don't talk cars to ppl at work now.

However, once in a while I get a nice car and a nod smile while getting gas. One time a homeless man yelled out "I wanna be like you when I grow up" as I drove by him leaving a gas station. Another occasion while getting my new watch sized, the worker ( chick ) for some reason was so interested in my car and did a 360 walk like 3 times before asking for a ride. If only I was single at the time .. LOL =)

Last edited by vijen6; 05-26-2012 at 10:36 PM.
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:07 AM   #7
still plays with cars...

Garage
Right on the money...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Chicks think they are cute, cops think they are cute, angry disenfranchised youth think they are a symbol of everything they hate, rice rockets always want to race, 8 yr old boys love the sound they make, your co-workers think you make too much money, 997 Carrera S and Lamborghini owners get really annoyed when you drive around them at the track. (that last part is my personal favorite part)
Except the "on the track" part. Haven't done that ...yet.
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:22 AM   #8

Quiet in Dayton

You'd think that a Guards Red Porsche would get attention, but not around here. Once in a while I'll get a second look from a lady or a child. The men seem to prefer pickup trucks with loud exhausts. I recently took a thousand mile round trip into New England and although the only Porsche I saw was a 912, my Boxster got virtually no attention whatsoever. And, I like it that way.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Pretty well said, above.

Except for the chick part...they seem to stare, smile, and wave more than others. I don't like it and I think I'm going to sell the car. The female attention is nice, of course, but I don't like being the center of attention everywhere I go. Here in the middle of the country, Porsches are rare and other exotics are basically non-existent.
I am feeling like Particle, I think my white Porsche draws attention to trouble. I do live in Nascar World, North Carolina !!! I love the car but feel I should sell it to someone in ..........South Beach Florida or Beverly Hills California.
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:32 AM   #10

co-workers ask me why I did not get a Carrera....I ask them what kind of Porsche they drive.
then I tell them I could have easily afforded a Carrera but the Boxster drives better and is nearly as quick as a 996 (I have an 02 S) most people like it and think I paid way more than I did
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:11 AM   #11
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Pretty well said, above.

Good question!
I agree with u I dont like being the centre of attention but I am not going to sell the car. Most of the time the top is up because I am not a showy person. One woman with a newer Boxster asked why I did not have the top down and I said I liked the lines of the car. Yes in this city it attracts a lot attention because there are not many "exotic" cars here . People dont realize that u can get a used Boxster for less than the price of a new small car. It gets more respect than my previous Miata. Riceburners want to race but I dont race anybody.
This car is special and I will talk to anybody who wants to talk about it. Anybody who dings it and damages it the talk will be more serious!Lots of people want a ride but nobody drives it but me.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellman View Post
You'd think that a Guards Red Porsche would get attention, but not around here.
Not in downtown Dayton on a Sunday!!!
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:15 AM   #13
2005, Tiptronic

Not too different than most on here. I get the occasional compliment at a light or in a parking lot. I've never been asked why I didn't get a 911. No negative attention, no extra attention from police, etc. And yes - every ricer with and Mustang want to race. I don't.
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #14

Garage
Lately the Dangermobile has been stalked by Chaz and Mom . Not sure why ?
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #15
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Haha! That's gross, man...

Old 05-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #16

When I drive it to job sites some of the trades guys will say things like "Wish I had your job" and I usually reply "Why, so that you too can drive a 13 year old car worth considerably less than a Nissan Sentra?" They tend not to believe me.

I get ricer pilots wanting to race - I ignore them. When they try to tell me how much faster their car is I say, "Yeah, but no matter how fast your car is, it's still just another ricer." They never seem to have a good comeback to that one.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #17

Here in my part of Idaho (actually anywhere in Idaho) these cars seam to be somewhat rare. Yes we do see others, but certainly not on every street corner. People are always pleasant and have nice things to say. We even had one older gent ask us about our Ferrari. The funny thing is when at a traffic light we get all sorts of comments from folks. From "nice car" to "wanna race". It comes from many drivers in tuners to folks who want to race who are in huge tricked out diesel p/u trucks. We have a lot of those here. It seams like Idaho has more dirt roads than paved roads.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #18

I get thumbs up from a kid, glance from incoming traffic and one time this car is following me from the other lane and noticed the driver checking out my Box. This car really gets attention and I love it.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #19

Garage
People notice it whether they say so or not. It comes up in conversation alot..."ohh you have that yellow Porsche, I have seen it around town."
Old 05-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #20

I really dont care about, well dont want a lot of extra attention and it sounds like for the most part these cars dont attract that much attention. as long as you can park them some where without worrying about vandalism or get pulled over constantly for BS reason's thats what matters to me.

Last edited by LightngSVT; 05-28-2012 at 07:08 AM.
LightngSVT is offline   Reply With Quote