Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 02:10 AM   #21
Ex Esso kid

I feel exhaust noise takes a back seat in the "Look how important I am" department when contrasted with giant subwoofers in cars that cost less than said subwoofers.

Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:20 AM   #22

I always found it interesting that obnoxious straight pipes are accepted on Harleys, but if you try that on a car, you'd get pulled over! Loud exhaust is entertaining at times, but they can be very annoying if you're trying to enjoy some peace and quite on the weekend.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:07 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
I feel exhaust noise takes a back seat in the "Look how important I am" department when contrasted with giant subwoofers in cars that cost less than said subwoofers.
I definately feel that's how people perceive it but not always the case. If I enjoy a loud exhaust then I'm going to install one and to hell with anyone who has a complaint. Now with that said, I'm not going to exit the sigh neighborhood at 7am on a Sunday at WOT but as far as the old lady on the highway giving me a dirty look, I could care less.
onefastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:30 AM   #24
Ex Esso kid

My neighbor has a loud exhaust on his harley, he likes to tune it and rev it in the driveway along with all his pals from the satans helpers in the pee wee movie. Then instead of going on an honest to god ride, they go around a couple blocks come home and resume tuning. Sixty year old dudes all tatted out acting like I did when I had a mini bike, couple loops through the hood then home. Maybe they're running high test, it's $4.25 where I live, I feel like I should be hanging my old D fenders when I approach the prices are so marina - like.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #25

Garage
i have a 2001 speed yellow boxster and i want to have the loudest meanest sounding boxster there is without spending to much money! any suggestions

This race exhaust from Lucas Fabrication will probably meet your criteria .
Attached Images

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 05-04-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvega18CurvyYelowBox View Post
i have a 2001 speed yellow boxster and i want to have the loudest meanest sounding boxster there is without spending to much money! any suggestions
The Speed Yellow is loud enough... You don't want to attract too much attention.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post

question is...that without even resonators on it would it pass the DB requirement most tracks now have?
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #28
Registered Boxster abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvega18CurvyYelowBox View Post

healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastman View Post
Nothing with loud exhaust on a toy.

Have a friend with a cgt with strait pipes and IMO its the way the car should have come.

I have a 135i with strait pipes and I rather enjoy it.

Same goes for a boxster for those who want it.

You can't argue that it's obnoxious any more than you can on a cgt, they are both toys.

And if you argue strait pipes on a cgt is silly then you are on the wrong forum :-)
Quite impressive you are qualified to dictate who belongs on this forum after 2-3 weeks experience yourself.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #30

Like ^

:-)
Old 05-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #31
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Straight pipes on a cgt is silly.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #32
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
I definately feel that's how people perceive it but not always the case. If I enjoy a loud exhaust then I'm going to install one and to hell with anyone who has a complaint. Now with that said, I'm not going to exit the sigh neighborhood at 7am on a Sunday at WOT but as far as the old lady on the highway giving me a dirty look, I could care less.
It's called being considerate. It's called being a human being. It's not just annoying, it can actually cause physical pain and ear damage. Don't try to deny it, either. We've all had that a-hole with loud exhaust next to us at a stoplight, just to hammer it on the green like he's at the drags. How would you like it if someone walked up and blew an airhorn in your ear?

Not trying to single you out personally...
Old 05-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #33

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
It's called being considerate. It's called being a human being. It's not just annoying, it can actually cause physical pain and ear damage. Don't try to deny it, either. We've all had that a-hole with loud exhaust next to us at a stoplight, just to hammer it on the green like he's at the drags. How would you like it if someone walked up and blew an airhorn in your ear?

+1 on that
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #34

Quote:

Totally agreed
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #35

Chris, is that why you've sold your exhaust? i read a couple other posts where you mentioned having had GHL, Stebra (spelling?) installed on your car. They were too loud and annoying to others in your neighborhood? I'm actually planning to get a GHL any second now; now, I'm having second thoughts.
19" MHT Rims
Evo Intake, De-Snorkeled
CVstarBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #36

Quote:

Not saying it belongs on a daily driver or really anything more than occasion car but I think we as automotive enthusiasts can agree that there are few sounds more excellent than a car with the best suited exhaust.

Also, I don't recommend driving through the city or a crowded area, as i mentioned.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Quite impressive you are qualified to dictate who belongs on this forum after 2-3 weeks experience yourself.
Sorry, that was not my intention.

I was assuming continuity of automotive forums in general in that the exhaust tone is one of the main reasons we enjoy the cars we do.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #38
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Not saying it belongs on a daily driver or really anything more than occasion car but I think we as automotive enthusiasts can agree that there are few sounds more excellent than a car with the best suited exhaust.

Also, I don't recommend driving through the city or a crowded area, as i mentioned.
I apologize for quoting your post. As I said, I'm not trying to single you out, your post was just the most recent/relevant. This is just my opinion and I don't expect everyone to share it. Loud exhaust on a track car is cool, just not on a daily driver. I don't have many complaints about cars, either. 90% of the time, its a douchebag on a Harley or a large diesel pickup with nothing in the bed, spewing black soot.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:06 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post

That looks fantastic!

What does one of those run?
Old 05-06-2012, 04:33 AM   #40

Garage
Quote:
That looks fantastic!

What does one of those run?
Around $1200 for the x-pipe design - roughly $2200 if you add resonators (i.e. race mufflers) .