Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #1

Garage
Charlie Chan Mufflers???

Sooo i know a bunch of people have put the so called "Charlie Chan" mufflers from ebay on their boxsters. And I know most people love them!! But I can't seem to find any of the videos of people revving with the muffler on.

Soooo does anyone have these videos? Or have the CC mufflers on, and could go outside and make a quick video??

That'd be great!! And another appriciation to Mr. Danger for the introduction of these mufflers to the forum

That is all.

~Brad

Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:12 AM   #2

NHP Muffler (Youtube vid)

Here goes the NHP muffler. Made in Taiwan but designed by the NHP guys. Sounds crap in the garage (or in this vid anyway) but man, I can't get enough of it when passing in the tunnel between the mainland and the island No drone, screams past the 4k rpm

Last edited by madmods; 01-31-2012 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Sorry, not the one you asked for but could give you an idea
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmods View Post
NHP Muffler (Youtube vid)

Here goes the NHP muffler. Made in Taiwan but designed by the NHP guys. Sounds crap in the garage (or in this vid anyway) but man, I can't get enough of it when passing in the tunnel between the mainland and the island No drone, screams past the 4k rpm
Nice sound, madmods! Do you have a vid while driving too?

Her is one vid of mine:
Porsche Boxster Sound 3 - made by www.dynamic-speed.com - YouTube
Old 01-31-2012, 02:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderRS View Post
Nice sound, madmods! Do you have a vid while driving too?

Her is one vid of mine:
Porsche Boxster Sound 3 - made by www.dynamic-speed.com - YouTube
Fak-ing hell.... you sure this a Boxster mate? Looks/sounds supercharged or something. Definetly not a little Made-in-China muffler for sure LOLLLL. Nope no vids of me driving or pushing it but if I shoot one I will post here.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:37 AM   #5

lolll can't stop looking at your vid Spyder ahha! and now wondering how can I remove my mini pus_sy sound video from this thread?!
Old 01-31-2012, 02:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmods View Post
lolll can't stop looking at your vid Spyder ahha! and now wondering how can I remove my mini pus_sy sound video from this thread?!
LOL Don´t worry, buddy... your vid is absolutely ok!
Old 01-31-2012, 03:58 AM   #7

I went with something a little more moderate; Flowmaster dBX

IMG_0001.mp4 - YouTube
IMG_0000.mp4 - YouTube
Wret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmaddbrad View Post
..... But I can't seem to find any of the videos of people revving with the muffler on.
Video of the Top Speed muffler and test pipes, best indicator of sound under load is at 4:40.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:58 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Sooo i know a bunch of people have put the so called "Charlie Chan" mufflers from ebay on their boxsters. And I know most people love them!! But I can't seem to find any of the videos of people revving with the muffler on.

Soooo does anyone have these videos? Or have the CC mufflers on, and could go outside and make a quick video??

That'd be great!! And another appriciation to Mr. Danger for the introduction of these mufflers to the forum

That is all.

~Brad
The North Koreans won't talk to me now !
Old 01-31-2012, 05:21 AM   #10

Check on ebay as there still are some CC mufflers being offered for under $300. Mine sounds great and cuts some weight from the rear. No need to spend 1k or more on two s.steel cans.

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield View Post
Check on ebay as there still are some CC mufflers being offered for under $300. Mine sounds great and cuts some weight from the rear. No need to spend 1k or more on two s.steel cans.

AKL
Totally agree, I bought mine 6 months ago it was straightforward to install and I still geek out everytime I floor it through a tunnel.
1983 944 (gone)
gunnersfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #12
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield View Post
Check on ebay as there still are some CC mufflers being offered for under $300. Mine sounds great and cuts some weight from the rear. No need to spend 1k or more on two s.steel cans AKL
You can buy it right here for $275. Check the classifieds.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:27 PM   #13

Garage
Haha yeah, these under $300 mufflers are the ones i was talking about when i said chalie Chan mufflers. But thats not what people posted 0.o lol

I'm sure they sound great. Everyone seems to love them lol
Old 01-31-2012, 08:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Haha yeah, these under $300 mufflers are the ones i was talking about when i said chalie Chan mufflers. But thats not what people posted 0.o lol

What I posted was the Top Speed muffler sound. You may refer to it as the CC muffler, but I won't because I find that to be demeaning.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:17 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW02S View Post
What I posted was the Top Speed muffler sound. You may refer to it as the CC muffler, but I won't because I find that to be demeaning.
Hahaha alright. Is there a noticeable amount of drone in the car?
Old 02-01-2012, 01:17 AM   #16

Quote:

Perhaps those who had this particular muffler installed are too embarrased about the puffy sound created by the backpressure effect swallowing back the gases/flow back into the system? That can make a nasty wroom tell ya.... dunno mate!

Best of luck with finding what you are looking for
Old 02-01-2012, 04:45 AM   #17

i got the charlie chan cans , best bang for the buck in my opinion. does drone around 2,800 rpm. i don't get that farting sound some other people have had. it is not the best sounding exhaust out there but it is pretty good . i just got the charlie chang delete pipes , can't wait to install the , should sound really good after those are installed . total cost is around 450.00
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:54 AM   #18

two surprises

I found the "Charlie Chan" muffler on eBay for $225 + shipping + tax, which came to a little over $300 and pulled the trigger.
Here are my impressions:
* The muffler looks very much like the NHP V2
* The bolts which are supplied are too large in diameter and won't go through the holes in bracket on the transmission, so I had to go to Home Depot and buy thinner ones, I like to keep everything metric so I ended up with M8 x 1.25 x 70 mm

Now the surprises:
* Zero, I mean absolutely NO drone at all
* The exhaust is much quieter than I had expected I didn't' have a stock exhaust on my car since a very long time, so it's hard for me to compare but I think it's still a bit louder than stock

The sound itself is nice, a bit lower rumble which comes halfway alive at 4k RPM
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:12 AM   #19

Garage
I love drone. Everyone is free to bottle theirs up and send it to me. Personally, I think that most of this talk about drone is nonsense . Short of straight pipes, x-pipes and extreme race designs , I've yet to experience drone with any well made aftermarket catback. In fact, similar to others, I've found most of them to be too quiet and lame for my tastes .