Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #1

Question Pad Replacement / Caliper Painting Questions

I finally got my parts purchased thanks to all the advice you guys gave me on my previous thread (http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/29673-first-brake-pad-replacement-need-some-advice.html), but I’ve come up with a few more questions now that I’ve started the project.

My original Boxster S pads look different from the Textar pads I purchased (picture below). Is this normal, or did they send me the wrong pads?

In all the DIY guides I read regarding pad replacement, I didn’t see anything pertaining to the original pads being glued to the vibration dampers. At first, I thought the pads were glued to the caliper, but after looking at some different parts on PelicanParts, I realized that these were additional hardware. I was able to use a thin screwdriver to pull the original pads away from the dampers, but how to I reinstall the new pads? Is brake grease sufficient to stick to new pads to the dampers, or do I need to use silicone or some other adhesive for a stronger bond?

I’m going to repaint my calipers while I’ve got everything disassembled. I’m now to the point of removing the brake lines from the back of the calipers, and Pedro recommends using a flare nut wrench for this. Unfortunately, I don’t have these in my tool arsenal. Do I need to purchase a set, or can I get away with using a standard open-ended wrench without damaging the ends of the brake lines?

Thanks in advance… Dave

dja1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:35 AM   #2

Not only should you purchase the proper flare wrenches but you should buy good ones like Snap-on or Mac. The cheap ones tend to spread under load and are worse than useless.

You're going to need them when you flush your brakes every two years so you might as well spend the money on the right tools now. You can start with the 10-12mm and 11-13mm wrenches and build from there as needed if you don't want to buy a full set right away. Good used Snap-on flare wrenches are fairly common on ebay.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
Registered Boxster abuser

After the first time you round off the nut you'll forever have to have to use a special tool like this to work on your car...

healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #4

LOL... point taken on the flare nut wrenches. That's why I love this forum!

Can anyone chime in on the replacement pads and the procedure on how to reattach the dampers?
Old 05-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #5

I think those Textars are the wrong pads. I've got a new set of Brembo front pads sitting in front of me and they look nothing like that. I have a set of Textar rears sitting here too and they look identical to that pair of Brembos in your picture.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #6

Hmmm.... here's where I ordered from...

Front Brake Pad Set, Boxster S (2000-04)
Porsche Boxster Brake Pads & Rotors - Page 1

Price was $122.75
Old 05-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #7

could be my goof - I have a 99 base so my pads might be different from yours
Old 05-02-2012, 06:08 AM   #8

Since my calipers and rotors are still in place, I tried fitting the new pads last night just to be safe. They seem to be fine, but they do stick out of the top a little more. I'm guessing the added heights helps with vibration?
Old 05-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #9

pads

Those Texar pads looks like front pads and the Brembo's look like rear pads. I will post a picture of my old pads for you. Yes buy the proper tools, it will be worth every cent if you plan to do diy maintenance. A 13mm and 10mm wrench is a good start! Regarding pad to dampener/squeal plates, no glueing is required, just some copper slip will do.
de-snorkeled, clear lights, sports exhaust, zeintec hard top, zein wing, B&M short shifter, DesignTek lowering springs, DesignTek carbon fibre strut brace front and rear, 18'' carerra 5 spokes, semi slick tyres, entire soft top delete, engine cover delete,red console,L&N deep sump, volo performance chip, raptor shift light, de-cat'ed, OEM GT3 bucket seats.
sickbananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:28 AM   #10

Thanks... I probably should have clarified.

I'm only replacing the FRONT pads & rotors, but I'm painting ALL the calipers. In the picture I posted, the Brembo pads were the original fronts, and the Textars are the replacement fronts.

Do the Brembo pads not look like the stock pads for an 02 Boxster S? I bought the car with only 25K miles, so I doubt that the brakes have been previously worked on.

And, you're right... I pulled the rear pads last night, and the original front pads look the same as the rear pads.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #11

pads

I think you have rear pads in all 4 calipers in your case. If you put one of your rear pads on top of your old front pads you should know, never the less, the picture of your new front pads looks correct for the front calipers of a 04' S.
de-snorkeled, clear lights, sports exhaust, zeintec hard top, zein wing, B&M short shifter, DesignTek lowering springs, DesignTek carbon fibre strut brace front and rear, 18'' carerra 5 spokes, semi slick tyres, entire soft top delete, engine cover delete,red console,L&N deep sump, volo performance chip, raptor shift light, de-cat'ed, OEM GT3 bucket seats.
sickbananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #12

Just a quick update...

I did compare the rear pads to the front pads, and even though they look the same, the fronts are definitely larger. I'm thinking that maybe the stock S pads are just missing the higher parts that come with the Textar pads because the stock pads are used with vibration dampers?

Also, I got a few coats of paint on the calipers last night, and I don't care for the color. I used Dupli-Color Engine Enamel (Red - DE1653), and it's too dark... almost closer to brick red. I went back to the store today and picked up a can of Chevrolet Orange-Red (DE1607) to try. The can cap looks pretty close, but I'm skeptical. Does anyone have a high-temp spray recommendation that's a close match to Guards Red?
Old 05-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #13

How about this?
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #14

Thanks for the link, but I don't have time to have anything shipped since I need to have this project wrapped up by early next week.

I tried the Dupli-Color Chevrolot Orange-Red last night, but it's a little too orange... which is what I expected. Who knows, mabe I'll like it better once it's dried and I can look at in the sunlight.

It looks like my local AutoZone carries Dupli-Color Ford Red (DE1605) and VHT Real Red (SP731), so I might pick those up as well to try out. I would think out of the 4 different colors locally available, one of them should be prett close.

Last edited by dja1980; 05-10-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #15

I painted mine black with red lettering on my 99 base. It's the original color (although the original lettering was white), and it looks good on the black car. I was originally going with red, but then I thought, everybody paints their calipers red and, as my car isn't an S, it just seemed wrong. I thought about silver with red lettering for a while. If I had a silver car with a red interior I would have gone that route for sure.

That's just my feeling and is in no way intended as a criticism to anyone else. Color choice is such a personal thing. Some folks even like speed yellow!
Old 08-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #16
RedRider

caliper painting problems

Am repainting the calipers on my recently acquired 99 box-love this car (after having owned a 1979 911 SC for 25 years this box is more fun!). Some PO painted the calipers silver and did a rather poor job. I was not able to get the Dupli-color paint to lay out without brushmarks, so gave up after three coats and bought a spray can of VHT satin black and with a bit of taping, problem solved.
I thought that Dupli-color came highly recommended. Finished them off with white Porsche lettering-looks like new and sets the turbo twist wheels off better against the Guards Red/black leather car.
Did not want a shiny finish so no clearcoat, so we shall see if they hold up: I don't track and am usually easy on the brakes. Also am fanatical on cleaning. Will report back on this later.
Next up is to paint the front intake grills flat black as the faded grey looks awful: anybody out there done this? Can I just tape and spray? I understand that in order to remove the grills the bumper must come off which I would rather not get into.
Thanks in advance for your input.

1999 Guards Red/black leather with sport package and 23k miles-yeah I know, an ideal IMS bearing failure candidate, though the oil/filter was changed every year for 15 years, so we shall see. And yes, I go to Mass.
curt0721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:34 AM   #17

The clear coat will make your decals last longer assuming your order of application is black paint , decal, clear coat. The clear is also available in satin if you don't like the shiny look.

As to the grills, I removed them from the bumper cover sprayed them flat black when I had the bumper cover off to clean out the rads. It's one of those "while you're in there" things. I wouldn't risk the messy overspray thats might happen doing them in the car.

If you haven't cleaned out the rads yet then you really should consider doing it. You will be amazed at just how much crap gets jammed in between the rads and the condensers and you can't see it or get at it with the bumper cover on.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:54 AM   #18
RedRider

Thanks for the info: I'll look for the satin clear coat and will look into pulling the bumper and cleaning the rads. This is a great forum-the advice from those that have been there and done that is invaluable to us DIY guys!
curt0721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #19

I did not clear coat my calipers and they've held up just fine (as have the decals) for over 3 years.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #20

I did my front grills when in there - silver as well as the side engine vent/intake grills too.

I also fitted some mesh behind the front grills in an attempt to keep crap out of the radiators.

I think the silver looks fine with the red without being flash.

I wont tell you what colour I did the calipers though!

David

BestGear is offline   Reply With Quote