View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #16
curt0721
RedRider

caliper painting problems

Am repainting the calipers on my recently acquired 99 box-love this car (after having owned a 1979 911 SC for 25 years this box is more fun!). Some PO painted the calipers silver and did a rather poor job. I was not able to get the Dupli-color paint to lay out without brushmarks, so gave up after three coats and bought a spray can of VHT satin black and with a bit of taping, problem solved.
I thought that Dupli-color came highly recommended. Finished them off with white Porsche lettering-looks like new and sets the turbo twist wheels off better against the Guards Red/black leather car.
Did not want a shiny finish so no clearcoat, so we shall see if they hold up: I don't track and am usually easy on the brakes. Also am fanatical on cleaning. Will report back on this later.
Next up is to paint the front intake grills flat black as the faded grey looks awful: anybody out there done this? Can I just tape and spray? I understand that in order to remove the grills the bumper must come off which I would rather not get into.
Thanks in advance for your input.

1999 Guards Red/black leather with sport package and 23k miles-yeah I know, an ideal IMS bearing failure candidate, though the oil/filter was changed every year for 15 years, so we shall see. And yes, I go to Mass.
curt0721 is offline   Reply With Quote