Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
BoxedIn

Off topic

The title says it all!

Any advice will be very appreciated.

Thanks

Greg

Last edited by Boxeer; 03-01-2012 at 07:17 AM.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:19 AM   #2

Send them a picture of hell frozen over
Old 02-27-2012, 03:33 AM   #3

Garage
Seven year old car...it is all good will of the dealer it this point. The **************************** approach will get you nothing.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:25 AM   #4
WV Boxster

Garage
Agreed. That will be tough one. I know your thinking low miles, but that may be one of the contributing factors to the issue. I have read in several places on many makes that one of the worst thing for a car is to sit. You may have a better chance if your had an average number of miles instead of low miles.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:31 AM   #5
MWH

I would show the service history, low mileage and be as tactful as possible. Maybe point out that other Boxster owners have had engines replaced in the earlier years. I counted 43 engine failures (IMS, cylinder sleeves an undiagnosed) on the Roadfly forum and that forum has no where near the traffic that this forum has....Good luck and post back your results.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:38 AM   #6

If you bought it new, try sweet talking the dealer into pushing Porsche for a goodwill replacement engine, or a least a discount. If you bought used, you won't get any help from the dealer.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
Old 02-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #7

If All else fails park the car directly across the street from your local dealer with one of those vinyl wrap banners that says:

---------------------
IMS FAILURE: DEAD PORSCHE!!
2005 Sticker $60K
Now: $0
(place your email here)

----------------------------

Keep feeding the parking meter until you either get a cease and dessist letter.
Which would be bogus since you are free to park where you wish. Or some compromise to help you out. Hit every dealer on a Saturday.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Old 02-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #8

I think if this was my scenario and was turned down by Porsche, I would do what Perfect Lap suggests.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #9

Garage
I think life is too short to get all lathered up because a dealer won't just give you $20k in goods and services. Think about your karma and how the above mentioned ugliness would affect you after you have already had a pretty big setback.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #10

Garage
Just as Perfectlap said below, but I'd add something to it. I'd pull a pick up truck behind it, put the car in neutral. Then push the car at a high rate of speed right through the front glass doors.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #11

Blackmailing is the only way. Find out who is in charge of the Service department at your dealership. Follow them home. Try to get some insinuating evidence of something. Then blackmail him/her into getting you a free repair.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #12

Garage
Yeah be sure and ruin any good will that the dealer might actually have and burn that bridge all the way to the ground. Scorched earth is always the best method of conflict resolution.

Lord have mercy.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #13
Ex Esso kid

Why is the dealer in the crosshairs? Dealer didn't design the engine or mishandle a repair. This on the company Porsche, not their dealer network, attacking them is worthless. If you were going to do anything it would have to be a viral internet campaign and Porsche would have to care which is not likely in my experience. They didn't even call or write me back after my reported engine failure. Their headquarters is in Atlanta, protest there. We have seen other people get angry with Porsche with nothing but talk to the hand as a response.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #14
Certified Boxster Addict

First, its unlikely that you'll get the dealer to fully replace your engine if the car is out of warranty. The best that you can probably hope for is a substantial discount.

To get that substantial discount, you're going to have to leverage/capitalize on your relationship with the dealer. You have a good relationship, right?

What I mean is, you had the dealer do almost all of the work on your car since the day that you bought it from them and you know the service advisor well enough to have him on speed dial. Still yes? If not, then forget it, you might talk the dealer into 10% off but that's about all.

However, if you have a good relationship with your dealer, speed dial your service advisor and set up a time to talk with him and explain that you're looking for some help in the matter because you bought the car there and have been a long-term loyal customer as proven by the records of having all of the service done there too. While the service advisor can't actually authorize something like this, you need to have to have him in your back pocket for the next step.

Then get the service advisor to set up a meeting with service manager and use your relationship with the service advisor combined with the records from all of your service visits to your advantage. Be nice and courteous. Let them know that you're asking for a favor and that you fully intend to continue to bring the car to the dealer for ALL of its needs because you have always relied on them. The point isn't whether the dealer is going to do the repair but what the price is going to be and you want some help on that.

If you do this correctly, then you will convince the service manager that it would be a good business decision for him to work with you as a long term customer by helping you out in this once instance where the costs are really high. My guess that you might get the dealer to split the total cost.

Good luck.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
Old 02-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden View Post
Just as Perfectlap said below, but I'd add something to it. I'd pull a pick up truck behind it, put the car in neutral. Then push the car at a high rate of speed right through the front glass doors.
Well I wouldn't go that far.

Remember in the movie Gone in 60 Seconds? Back then people were smashing windows to take home a Porsche. LOL Not to give them back! Ah the early days of the m96....

On a serious note. If you do the vinyl wrap "look at this lemon I bought", call one of the local newspaper reporters or even the local news channel. So much as photo of such a spectacle would detonate all over the internet. And once its on the internet forget it it aint ever coming off. It will be a permanent fixture on every forum and message board. Obviously that could be costly for those newbie buyers weighing a new BMW/Audi vs. a new Porsche. So I would politely write them a letter saying that you intend to alert the media by such and such date. But be sure to try the goodwill approach first and document it in writing so that when you go Extreme IMS Tactics you can say "hey I gave them a chance of doing it the nice way". But I think its high time that Porsche acknowledge this issue. With more of these engines seeing 100K+ mileage the rate of failure is sure to swell.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-27-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #16

First off, I'm sorry for your tough luck. I don't buy the 'you have too few miles and that's what lead to the failure' argument. Cars have been in production for over 100 years. Engines should not fail at 43K miles under normal use. 43K miles in 7 years is still falls under the big part of the bell curve.

Press Porsche for help to replace your engine. If Porsche does not step up, figure out if you want to replace the engine on your own or sell/part your car out.

Vote with your pocketbook and do not buy another Porsche (telling all your friends about your saga is optional).

The whole thing is too bad. I truly feel sorry for you. Best of luck.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #17
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Based on my experience, sell the car the way it is and never look back. It's time to fold a bad hand.....
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #18

Garage
Pull the IMS bearing and send it to the CEO of Porsche with a letter giving him the details of the vehicle, your situation, and ask him for his recommendation. Keep the letter polite and professional.

300K Mile Club
Old 02-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #19
BoxedIn

Thanks for all the ideas.

I have some good gear (Canon 7D) to do a nice video of this perfect shape 42k miles 987.
Then drive down to Atlanta and knock some doors directly and leave them one letter, the IMS bearing and a USB stick with the video ready to post on Youtube and forums.

If you have a good scenario of video that I should do except for the close up of destroyed IMS bearing please share ;-) I need some inspiration.

Thanks!

Greg

Old 02-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #20
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Being a 2005 your car may have a non removable IMS bearing. Your wallet and health will both be better off, if you sell it and walk away now.

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Closed Thread