Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #1

Be careful out there

For all of us short time to reflect, before we start our next "spirited drive" ....
Overspeeding Thrills but kills - YouTube

I could only watch this 1:30 into the clip .....

2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #2

A very poignant reminder of what an out-of-control 3,000 pound missile can do. Like with most things, there's a time and place for "spirited" driving. Anyone who says that any of these things couldn't happen to them, might be the next one it happens to. Be careful out there indeed.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #3

Quite a few of these fatalities happened in Australia and are from the latest Australian TV "drink driving and speeding" campaigns. We have been shown similar things like this for several years now, mainly aimed at the young, inexperienced drivers and the results of drink driving.....
The graphics caused a lot of controversy, but it cetainly gets the point across....
Old 01-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Does the council still ban car ads with performance figures such as 0 to 100 KM times or top speed?
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #5

I havn't seen advertised performance figures for cars for years, but there again, I don't know of any "ban" either.
If there is a restriction in place it must have crept under my radar, but as I no longer buy the local car mags, it could well be.....
Old 01-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
The Porsche dealer in Brissy told me that it was unlawful to publish performance figures when I was down there for a few months in 2005.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:57 AM   #7
Ex Esso kid

Where I live there seems to be a fatality almost weekly now. Speed, has little or nothing to do with our dilemma, drive CNY and you will see at least two texting drivers per car trip, even if the trip length is one of a few miles.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:20 AM   #8

I stopped at the 1:30 mark as well, because virtually all of the accidents portrayed were caused by distractions, not speeding.
Squozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:34 AM   #9
WV Boxster

Garage
I understand the message that they are wanting to push. However as spuozen notes it is not speed in all of these. Whenever I am in the spirited drive mode my concentration on the road is ten fold. I would belive and has been my track record I am may likely to have a moment of fear, quick reaction at a slower speed. I tend to get bored because the normal act of driving is well- boring. But the Boxster has revived my spirit and now I love to drive.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:32 AM   #10

Garage
The UK is a nice place to drive the Boxster. Legal speed is 70mph on the motorways, and British law allows you to drive up to 86mph without fear of getting a speeding fine.
etak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:07 AM   #11
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by etak View Post
The UK is a nice place to drive the Boxster. Legal speed is 70mph on the motorways, and British law allows you to drive up to 86mph without fear of getting a speeding fine.
I was born in the UK but live in Canada. I see less accidents, incidents and poor driving in the UK than in Canada. Although UK drivers are speedy, they are safe and use common sense.:dance:
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #12

Quite graphic ...take it to the track fellas. I always preach that the controlled environment of the track is safer than the local supermarket parking lot.
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:07 AM   #13
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
This video has been around for awhile and is a good reminder about the dangers of inattention and speeding. When I want to go stupid fast and have as much fun as I can...I take it to the track all the time. I don't ever want to have what I call that five second moment...where something happens and you wish you could take the last five seconds back and not do it. Thanks for posting!
Old 01-24-2012, 05:04 AM   #14

I agree that most accidents are caused by distractions...the cell phone has become the worst of them all. I see people texting, talking and trying to write at the same time. Here in Florida a young lady was on her cell phone, blew through a red light and hit a baby stroller with an young child in it. Child did not survive.:ah:

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squozen View Post
I stopped at the 1:30 mark as well, because virtually all of the accidents portrayed were caused by distractions, not speeding.
+1 on that comment. Distraction or, on a more basic level, sheer stupidity. This, I would contend, is true all the more so when pedestrians were the victims, they (those pedestrians) being as negligent (typically MORE negligent) than the drivers delivering the coup de grāce. What happened to looking before crossing the street? Do parents no longer teach their children this basic rule of survival? What person with half a brain steps from behind a parked vehicle into moving traffic without first poking their head out to see what's coming?

Living in a college town, I have noticed this to be a problem of growing proportions, with students (on campus, and off) carelessly stepping in front of moving traffic, often with ear buds in place, and/or eyes glued to text message currently on their cell phone. This "I am a pedestrian and, as such, I have the right-of-way" attitude just astounds me. These guys wouldn't last 5 minutes on the streets of any major US city.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote