Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 10:20 AM   #21

97 Boxster,

I have not replaced the motor mount. I suggested it to my Indy and he said I would know if it were a motor mount. It would clunk when I shifted. I still think it could be that but I am no mechanic. I have the tire store looking for solutions also so if I get it resolved I will let you know. Please do the same.
Thanks,

Old 12-31-2011, 10:44 AM   #22

You're not alone. I've got the same freakin' issue, and I've had it since I bought my car.

Bugs the hell out of me too. I finally just gave up on it being the wheels, tires, wheel bearings, tie rods, or control arms... because all of them are brand new now!

I'm going to do the front motor mount change out and see if that fixes anything. At least it might stop the shaking from the rear end, which will be a blessing.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:33 PM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle52 View Post
Problems continue.
My INDY put on a set of bridgestone potenza's (times and tires) on my car and i took it for a test drive. It ran out very smooth. So, I went out today at a very reputable tire store and had them put on a set of Michelin Pilot sports. Took the car for a test drive and the shake again starts at about 69 mph and continues as speed is gained. At about 80 mph you can feel the whole car shake. At 73 mph it is only noticeable in the steering wheel. The manager from the tire store when with me and witnessed the issue. They rebalanced the tires again and possibly made it even worse. My INDY checked the tie rods and everything seems to be very tight. The tire store said that they can not see any wobble in the rims or that would be the obvious problem. I had no vibration in the front before I started this whole ordeal back in August. I am at a loss for solutions. I just thought I would look to anybody here that may have had similar problems before I take it to the stealership and have them diagnose it.

Thanks for any help anyone could give at this point.

P.S. My INDY says that this is the only time he has run into this. Of course it only happens to me.
Were the Bridgestones on your wheels? & what size?

What size are your PS2s? & what wheels are they on?
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:43 PM   #24

ByPro,
I have 18 in rims. Stock rims. The Bridgestone were 17 in wheels and tires off a 2001 Boxster. If I would not have swapped them out I would say it is mechanical but after driving those wheels and tires I have to say it is associated with one or the other. I am currently looking to find a local 986 boxster that would be willing to try a swap and drive. That would tell me alot. Just had the boxster out again to go to the store and pretty smooth up to 50 or 55 mph. Once I get to 60 and above it starts and gets progressively worse with speed. When I get to 75 the whole car is shaking.

Not fun to drive at highway speeds where you spend a lot of time.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:09 PM   #25

Garage
What type of balancing did they do ?
Old 12-31-2011, 02:13 PM   #26
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Actually I believe the problem started when he put hankook tires on his car & nothing else was changed. If that is correct I can troubleshoot his car via this forum.
Well then put your expertise where his problem is. If you can troubleshoot his problem, don't spew it, do it. What are you waiting for, he's been waiting for weeks on you? When you open the door, it's time to put up or....... He's had it balanced several times, and he's changed his tires at least 4 times with no result. I see from your previous posts on this thread, you have NOT solved his problem.

Last edited by MileHighBoxster; 12-31-2011 at 02:34 PM.
MileHighBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:19 PM   #27

Johnny,

The latest balance on the Michelins was a regular balance maching. The previous tires were balanced at a different company with a road force balance machine. The reading from the road force balance machine were all within specs. The rims showed no wobble or high spots.
That is the difficult part to narrow down.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:24 PM   #28

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighBoxster View Post
Well then put your expertise where his problem is. If you can troubleshoot his problem, don't spew it, do it. What are you waiting for, he's been waiting for weeks on you? When you open the door, it's time to put up or....... He's had it balanced several times, and he's changed his tires at least 4 times with no result. Solve this oh self-admitted expert. It's beyond, me as it is to all here so far.
By my math he has been waiting 44 min. plus the additional delay you are causing. I'm so sorry I was on a lunch break.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:29 PM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Were the Bridgestones on your wheels? & what size?

What size are your PS2s? & what wheels are they on?
Have you test driven the new PS2s on a nice smooth road? Doing so will eliminate some variables?
Old 12-31-2011, 02:41 PM   #30
Matt

Quote:
Actually I believe the problem started when he put hankook tires on his car & nothing else was changed. If that is correct I can troubleshoot his car via this forum.
Hmmm. You posted the above on 12/19 - what's the problem?

My suggestion would normally be, if your entire problem started with a simple tire install, to go back to the place that did the initial work and have them replace your tires and balance your car. If they created the problem, they should fix it. If it was perfect prior to the install, the install is the problem. However, I see from your first post, weeks ago, that you bought the tires and then had them installed by someone else. I would always buy the tires locally, and have them installed in the same shop so that if there was a problem, they could take care of it for you.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:22 AM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Johnny,

The latest balance on the Michelins was a regular balance maching. The previous tires were balanced at a different company with a road force balance machine. The reading from the road force balance machine were all within specs. The rims showed no wobble or high spots.
That is the difficult part to narrow down.
What were the actual specs ?
Old 01-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #32

I did not bring them home with me. They had a print our and said they see no signs of bent rims or a out of round rim.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #33

Garage
My 01 has a similar problem but to a lesser degree. I've only had it 6 months and it's not that bad, but I know the previous owner went through some tire and wheel changes, probably in a vain effort to smooth it out. I haven't dealt with it yet, fearing need of a front end rebuild... interested in your outcome.
Hootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #34

I think my (vibration) issue is related to the power steering system... car sat for almost two weeks in the garage, started it up today and wow! A horrible sound was coming from behind and the front, worse when I turned the wheel. Pulled the car out and sure enough there was a big oil stain on the cardboard I set down. Got to get it to a mechanic... don't think I want to drive it making all that noise, embarrassing!

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #35

Garage
Quote:
I did not bring them home with me. They had a print our and said they see no signs of bent rims or a out of round rim.
Unless they were able to road force balance them down into the mid or lower teens, or better yet single digits, the end result accomplishes nothing . Any figures higher than that typically means that you have a tire(s) that is out of spec. It's not uncommon for a brand new, low profile tire to be out of round. I've dealt with this issue myself. In any case, assuming that your "indy" has ruled out any suspension related problems, the only thing that I can think of is that there's a problem with something not being hubcentric with regard to the wheels . The wheels are in fact oem, correct ? Again, no spacers ?
Old 01-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #36
Matt

Quote:
By my math he has been waiting 44 min. plus the additional delay you are causing. I'm so sorry I was on a lunch break.
How's that lunch going? Two weeks and he's still waiting.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:48 AM   #37
WV Boxster

Garage
I am with Johnny here, as earlier post, wheels changed- shake started, wheels. I fought for two weeks after a wheel change several years ago, had to try three different tires to find one. Have a NTB or etc... balance your tires at high and low speed, drive it about ten miles and retest- I am willing to bet one tire will need weights moved or added. This tire will be your problem change it and fix it.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:17 AM   #38
Ex Esso kid

Agree with both previous assessments, the "out of round" JD speaks of is why I like Michelin tires. Sure they clip you for what they are worth but they are seldom if ever very far away from true balance. Look at every Porsche you come across with pilot sports and note the small amount of applied weights.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:17 AM   #39

Xvboxst3 - I never changed the wheels. I only changed tires. Still have original 18 in wheels that have always been on the car. The only time i changed wheels is when I tried a set off another car. They were 17's and had different tires on them but they did run out pretty smooth at all speeds.
I am now going to go back tomorrow and have the tires looked at where I bought them. They want to check one more time for out of round tire or balance off again. After that i don't know where I go with this. I certainly can't drive it like it is. I have invested so much time and money at this point I am considering selling the car.

Thank you for everyone's help.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:30 AM   #40

Garage
Quote:
Xvboxst3 - I never changed the wheels. I only changed tires. Still have original 18 in wheels that have always been on the car. The only time i changed wheels is when I tried a set off another car. They were 17's and had different tires on them but they did run out pretty smooth at all speeds.
I am now going to go back tomorrow and have the tires looked at where I bought them. They want to check one more time for out of round tire or balance off again. After that i don't know where I go with this. I certainly can't drive it like it is. I have invested so much time and money at this point I am considering selling the car.

Thank you for everyone's help.
I feel your frustration . A few years back I went through something similar with my boxster that almost caused me to launch it over a cliff . In any case, as a last step in the process of elimination, is it possible for you to road test another set of oem 18 inch wheels and tires ?