Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 03:55 PM   #1

Needin' a new DD

I am, by and large, a "fair weather" Boxster driver, though I'll start driving her pretty early in the spring and keep doing so until the first flurries start to appear in the late fall/early winter. During that time, the Box is, for the most part, my DD.

My DD? When it's yucky out? Well, for some time now it's been a '96 Camry, now runnin' around with nearly 198k miles on the clock. As unexciting as a Camry is, I've grown to love it like a treasured family member: It's a manual (the ONLY one available at the dealership when I bought it, even way back 15 years ago!), is at least somewhat fun to drive, and it handles snow wonderfully. The engine still runs beautifully, and, even though I have to throw 1/2 qt of oil in her every 5-6 weeks (leaking, not burning), I wouldn't be surprised if this engine cranked out another 100k or more. Problem is the other systems. Had to have the fuel lines replaced a while back---rusted out. Before that it was a problem with the hydraulics of the clutch. Etc, etc, every few months. Suspension is getting a bit squeaky. Also getting pretty significant rust-out around the wheel wells (NE Ohio winters are hell on cars!). Even all that doesn't bother me that much, but every time I plunk down a few hundred for such repairs, I hear my wife squawking cynically: "Well, there goes another potential car payment."

Sooooo, I guess I'm going to succumb to the pressure and pick up another DD---not exactly a fate worse than death. I wanted to get some feedback from some car people (uh..that's you guys) on some of the models I've been looking at. I'm focusing primarily on cars in the 2005 -- 2010 range, preferably under 75-80k miles, and am looking to spend under, say, $16.5k. Spoiled by the Box, I'd like it to be somewhat sporty but also to be a good foul weather (ie, snow) car. And (much as the kid in me hates to admit it), being in my fifties now, while I love driving a "fun" car, I have to admit that a little refinement is kinda nice too. These are what I've considered so far:
VW GTI
Acura RSX Type-S
Toyota Celica GTS
Honda Civic Si
Mazdaspeed 3
I've driven the first three of that group (enjoyable all), but not the last two.

Anybody want to give opinions, warnings, recommendations, tales of personal experience, hearsay anecdotes, etc on any or all of the above? I'm all ears...help me out here. (PMs are fine as well.)

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #2

Garage
If you can make the stretch get a 2008 - 2011 Subaru WRX STi .
Old 12-05-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
Pat

I vote GTi
Old 12-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #4

I really enjoy the Mazdaspeed 3. I've driven (autocross mostly) a few in the year range you specify, some completely stock and some tuned, fantastic cars. So much so we bought a 2011 Speed3 this year. Lots of reasonably priced aftermarket options too if you are into tinkering

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
If you can make the stretch get a 2008 - 2011 Subaru WRX STi .
+1 on that or for a more comfotable ride & cheaper price 2002 up WRX they are fun to drive, reliable, & ride is amazingly good!
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I share Johnny's recommendation, but I'll add don't be afraid to go for a WRX as opposed to a WRX STi.

Since you're looking for a car to get you through the winter and other unfair weather, I figure you'll want something that will handle the snow well. And I have to say your list of considerations will handle the snow halfway decently, at best, unless you're planning on having a set of snow tires ready to go for the winter. The 'Speed3 is a great car, but I think it might be a bit out of its element in the winter.

FWD is definitely better than RWD when it comes to snow, but I'd say go for AWD if you can, which kind of leaves you with things like Subarus and Audis.

Audi A3?: Details of Used 2007 Audi A3, JEFFERSON, NY - Yahoo! Autos

It's pretty much a luxed-up (4dr) Golf/GTI with AWD.

EDIT: Not that I think you'd do this, but I'll say it anyways: if you're going to go for a Mk V GTI, stay away from the DSG models.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #7
Track rat

Garage
Allow me to throw another possibility into the mix: Lexus RX330
2004 Lexus RX 330 Summary

My wife has been driving one of these RX variants since 1999. She put 240K on the RX300 and we now have 90K on the RX330. It should not be confused with a sporty Boxster, Mazdaspeed3 or GTI but it is a very capable winter DD/Grocery getter/dog hauler with build quality second to none and a lot of elegance and creature comfort. It would nicely round out your fleet with some all-weather capability. You could probably find one for $15-18k and they hold their value well.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #8

Civic si 6speed manual has issue with gear popping out. It is expensive to fix. I used to have a housemate who owns a 08 subaru wrx. It was fun in the snow. Great awd system and you still get that boxer engine note. The turbo whine is also quite addicting.
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #9
Carnut

Audi A3 or A4 Quattro
Old 12-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #10
Porscheectomy

I LOVE my 02 WRX wagon. It's got 114,000 miles on the original clutch and brakes. I never have to worry about the weather. The car is nearly as fast as my Boxster and almost as much fun to drive (with some suspension work). If you're into modifications, the same parts for this car are less than half what they charge for a Porsche.

I have carried the following things - a full sized bicycle with wheels attached - three bicycles with wheels removed - 4 full sized wheels and tires - a big comfy recliner - (5) 30 gallon garbage bags of yard debris - all kinds of stuff that you need for an infant. All in a car that's the same length as the Porsche.

Using a German car for a DD makes no sense to me. Costs in upkeep and depreciation just don't compare.

Last edited by blue2000s; 12-06-2011 at 04:58 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #11
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Well blue, he's looking for a DD that's got some fun factor to it and is capable in the kind of weather that the Boxster might/will not do so well in. Good to know there's another vote for the WRX. I simply suggested the Audi because if he's going to get a GTI he might as well get an AWD one in the A3.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #12
Certified Boxster Addict

I'd suggest that you consider the best sedan ever made - the BMW 325i (or a 328i). You can find a 2005-2006 model with 60K miles for under $16K. The fun factor is very high - 19 years on Car and Drivers Best 10 list! Heck, even Consumer Reports likes the car. The cars are reliable and easy to DIY the maintenance/repairs. The 325iX is all-wheel drive. Lots of tuner parts are available if you get the itch.

The 325i a great daily driver and has quite a bit of refinement over the others on your list. And the BMW will look nice next to the Porsche.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #13

I would get a 03-05 e46 330i
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #14

Believe or not I drive a Jeep.......wait for it.......JK

Get it??
Old 12-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #15

Dario Franchiti's brother Marino, a racer himself, has an article in the latest EVO praising his daily driver VW Golf GTI (edition 30). He had a 993 but once he moved to London he decided on something more practical. I would think they know something about cold weather driving over there. That's a great issue by the way.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #16

The 3 series BMW is a great winter car. Four snow and they are great in the snow due to the traction control and 50/50 balance. My wife's 5 series wagon (rwd) with 4 snows was great in the snow. Don't fall into the myth that you need fwd. I'd rather have 50/50 balance and 4 snows.

Vince
m332is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #17

Garage
I'd get something with heated seats
Old 12-07-2011, 04:56 AM   #18

Check out a new Chevy Cruze. The base model is very inexpensive, very safe (10 air bags), comes with a manual 6 speed and it's very solid. Comes with power windows, locks, XM and Onstar. Not especially fast obviously. I've acutally seen ads in the Little Rock paper for brand new Cruze LS (base model) at $14,995. I have one and find it pleasant to drive. The base model doesn't have cruise control but it's easy to add a $160 aftermarket unit that integrates with the electronics.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:26 AM   #19

p.s.
Anyone own a Hyundai Elantra or Sonata or Kia Optima? I live near a dealership that I pass when biking. Those are some great looking cars and consumer reports rates them highly. Some get 40 mpg and are hardly what I would call tiny strip down econo boxes. parked next to a 3 series Bimmer I would say the designers earned their pay this year. I hear these $199 a month deals on the TV and it seems to good to be true.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:25 AM   #20
Porscheectomy

Age old dilema - for the price, buy a new car with a warranty, newer technologies, no previous owner issues or a used car, get more options, possibly a more high end brand, big depreciation has been taken by the previous owner(s) but no warranty and the potential for repairs is closer on the horizon.

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote