View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
Frodo

Needin' a new DD

I am, by and large, a "fair weather" Boxster driver, though I'll start driving her pretty early in the spring and keep doing so until the first flurries start to appear in the late fall/early winter. During that time, the Box is, for the most part, my DD.

My DD? When it's yucky out? Well, for some time now it's been a '96 Camry, now runnin' around with nearly 198k miles on the clock. As unexciting as a Camry is, I've grown to love it like a treasured family member: It's a manual (the ONLY one available at the dealership when I bought it, even way back 15 years ago!), is at least somewhat fun to drive, and it handles snow wonderfully. The engine still runs beautifully, and, even though I have to throw 1/2 qt of oil in her every 5-6 weeks (leaking, not burning), I wouldn't be surprised if this engine cranked out another 100k or more. Problem is the other systems. Had to have the fuel lines replaced a while back---rusted out. Before that it was a problem with the hydraulics of the clutch. Etc, etc, every few months. Suspension is getting a bit squeaky. Also getting pretty significant rust-out around the wheel wells (NE Ohio winters are hell on cars!). Even all that doesn't bother me that much, but every time I plunk down a few hundred for such repairs, I hear my wife squawking cynically: "Well, there goes another potential car payment."

Sooooo, I guess I'm going to succumb to the pressure and pick up another DD---not exactly a fate worse than death. I wanted to get some feedback from some car people (uh..that's you guys) on some of the models I've been looking at. I'm focusing primarily on cars in the 2005 -- 2010 range, preferably under 75-80k miles, and am looking to spend under, say, $16.5k. Spoiled by the Box, I'd like it to be somewhat sporty but also to be a good foul weather (ie, snow) car. And (much as the kid in me hates to admit it), being in my fifties now, while I love driving a "fun" car, I have to admit that a little refinement is kinda nice too. These are what I've considered so far:
VW GTI
Acura RSX Type-S
Toyota Celica GTS
Honda Civic Si
Mazdaspeed 3
I've driven the first three of that group (enjoyable all), but not the last two.

Anybody want to give opinions, warnings, recommendations, tales of personal experience, hearsay anecdotes, etc on any or all of the above? I'm all ears...help me out here. (PMs are fine as well.)
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote