Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 03:06 PM   #21

I have nothing to contribute to this thread other than having a 00S and love it although I currently have it for sale. It has been a great car over the 2 years I have owned it with little to no issue other than a coolant tank I am currently replacing. I just hit 62K to I don't know about high miles.

Why I am writing was to inquire about your experience with the Mini. I was actually looking maybe to get one if I sell the Boxster. I am only selling the Boxster to get out of some debt. Anyways, I would like to know what you think of them or what issues you had if you wouldn't mind. I'm not trying to hijack your thread so if you want to PM me that works also.

Thanks, Jake

Old 11-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake D View Post
I have nothing to contribute to this thread other than having a 00S and love it although I currently have it for sale. It has been a great car over the 2 years I have owned it with little to no issue other than a coolant tank I am currently replacing. I just hit 62K to I don't know about high miles.

Why I am writing was to inquire about your experience with the Mini. I was actually looking maybe to get one if I sell the Boxster. I am only selling the Boxster to get out of some debt. Anyways, I would like to know what you think of them or what issues you had if you wouldn't mind. I'm not trying to hijack your thread so if you want to PM me that works also.

Thanks, Jake
I've only had mine for a few months but other than a few strange issues I absolutely love the car. IMO it is the best handling fwd car on the market, but if you do get a MINI and want the more fun one get the 1st gen Cooper S. The 2nd gens are slightly bigger, less playful, and overall more boring. Having said that, the 1st gen cars do seem to have quite a few issues from the factory. The power steering pump is known to fail, the supercharger is also known to fail due to a poorly designed waterpump, and there have been several cases of clutches wearing out fairly quickly (60K miles or so), but I'm still not sure if that's due to driver error or just poor design. I would recommend a 2004 or later model though because with the earlier ones there seem to be quite a few more problems, trust me, I own an early 2003.

If you like to modify your car the R53 (1st gen S) has loads of aftermarket parts available, the most popular being supercharger pulley reduction, cai, and exhaust. Overall it's a great car if you know how to take care it and spot things going bad before they really **************** things up. You also have to be able to put up with people calling it a chick car or saying "awww it's so cute", but coming from a Boxster I'm sure you'll be able to cope
Chupee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #23
Certified Boxster Addict

Dale K wrote " I kind of wish I'd bought a Miata..."

I have a Boxster and a Miata. The Miata is a very fun car to drive and its super cheap to repair compared to the Boxster. Its definitely the most bang for the dollar.

But never confuse a Porsche with a Mazda (because ultimately dollars DO make a difference!). In terms of performance, the Boxster is better in every way. A racing Spec Miata is very close in performance to a stock base 986 Boxster but a 986 S model or any 987 Boxster will leave even the Spec Miata well behind.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #24
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Chupee - I gotta jump back in. I don't have a lot of experience with Boxsters over 100k miles but I have driven a member car here with over 90k miles and it rides just as good as mine at 57k miles. A well cared for high mileage car can be great they can also be awful, it really depends on their history. Check the car out, get the ppi and have them reduce the price by the tires and needed repairs.
When I was looking for boxsters I saw some with 100k miles that were awful and another with 132k that was really nice, if it hadn't been a base I would have bought it.
It is true you can find a lot of lower mileage ones with closer to 80k miles for about the same price, but even there you could have repairs. Some of these cars have very few repairs, mine is an example. Parts are expensive but your own labor is free.

Let us know how it turns out.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:17 AM   #25

I just don't understand what everyone on here who says to stay away from a high mileage Boxster is planning on doing with their cars. I mean unless you plan on not driving it, then all of our cars will eventually end up with "high" miles. And for some of us, we are approaching the point of where mileage and age will all get us one way or another. High mileage= more wear whereas low mileage=less use but probably more dry rot/ parts going bad from not being used.

I guess everyone here is going to jump ship when their car gets too many miles on it or they are just going to keep dumping money in it and ********************ing about how much it costs to repair.

FYI, a member on here ( I believe Jagermeister) has over 200K on his original engine and drives it daily. He did a write up not too long ago about going through and replacing a bunch of preventative maintenance parts that everyone else here has replaced, but his car seems to be extremely reliable. Guess the lesson here is all these cars are a gamble
Old 11-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #26

Interesting thread...

I have a 2000S I purchased in July 0f 2008 with 76K miles. I am just about at
100K right now and the car is great. I made sure to change fluids and do the 90K maintenance to the car in the last year. Although I like the looks of the 987's, I am happy with my car and will continue to drive it for the forseeable future. The car is sqeak and rattle free and uses no oil.

The mileage doesn't scare me. When I bought my car ($15K) a few years back, I figured that worst case, the engine blows, I sell it as a roller and I'm out $11K (and very pissed!).

Same equation applies now except I figure my car is worth about $11K so every day, a catastophy costs me less!

I have had to do a few things to my car outside of routine maintenance,but with the help of the various forums, I've performed all the work myself. List includes; coolant tank, ignition switch, CV boots and rear wheel bearings.

BTW, as a data point, I saw an '01 S on the Atlanta CL site back in October with 154K miles for $7995. I actually called on the car but it had already been sold.

Addtional data point; I picked up a 'by owner', 2 owner 1998 base car with 117K miles this summer for $4800. The car was very dirty and behind on routine maintenance but was basically not bad at all. It needed a top and the power top would not work.

I drove the car for a month while bringing all the maintenance up to date and doing a few repairs. The car was a blast! I replaced the top and frame as an assembly, along with a new top relay, ignition switch and motor mount.
A coworker saw the car shortly after I had purchased it and told me that he'd buy it when I was done with my repairs. Sure enough, I sold him the car and he and his wife love it!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #27

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350 View Post
Chupee - I gotta jump back in. I don't have a lot of experience with Boxsters over 100k miles but I have driven a member car here with over 90k miles and it rides just as good as mine at 57k miles. A well cared for high mileage car can be great they can also be awful, it really depends on their history. Check the car out, get the ppi and have them reduce the price by the tires and needed repairs.
When I was looking for boxsters I saw some with 100k miles that were awful and another with 132k that was really nice, if it hadn't been a base I would have bought it.
It is true you can find a lot of lower mileage ones with closer to 80k miles for about the same price, but even there you could have repairs. Some of these cars have very few repairs, mine is an example. Parts are expensive but your own labor is free.

Let us know how it turns out.
Chupee - I'm the other member that Whip is referring to. My boxster has 94K on it. I bought it at 30k. Been driving it daily and I do take car of it. But also, IMO, a daily car is great. I love mine and enjoy driving it DAILY. therefore, i have a lot of miles on it. so in that aspect, i take care of any problem it has immediately. if i even notice a slight rattle, because i drive it daily, i can look into it further and take care of it. so as EVERYONE is saying, it really depends on the car. good luck. you'll enjoy it and drive it! it already has miles on it, so there's no saving miles for future selling...just drive the heck out of the beast!
Old 11-30-2011, 01:24 PM   #28
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake D View Post
I just don't understand what everyone on here who says to stay away from a high mileage Boxster is planning on doing with their cars. I mean unless you plan on not driving it, then all of our cars will eventually end up with "high" miles. And for some of us, we are approaching the point of where mileage and age will all get us one way or another. High mileage= more wear whereas low mileage=less use but probably more dry rot/ parts going bad from not being used.

I guess everyone here is going to jump ship when their car gets too many miles on it or they are just going to keep dumping money in it and ********************ing about how much it costs to repair.

FYI, a member on here ( I believe Jagermeister) has over 200K on his original engine and drives it daily. He did a write up not too long ago about going through and replacing a bunch of preventative maintenance parts that everyone else here has replaced, but his car seems to be extremely reliable. Guess the lesson here is all these cars are a gamble
Right, miles you got to put on it while you serviced the debt rather than buying it whipped. When you start with high mileage you are already in the repair zone before you make the first six payments.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:38 PM   #29
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
[QUOTE=tuanle16;266334] it already has miles on it, so there's no saving miles for future selling...QUOTE]]

Excellent point! I've been driving the heck out of my new (well very old Tundra) and never even look at the mileage, sure beats worrying about putting too many miles on the benz when I knew I would be selling it....no don't ask about Whip986...I like driving it on weekends...it always gives me something to look forward to.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #30
Porscheectomy

Again, read through this board and look at all the little issues this car has, like the foam breaking up on the HVAC doors, the microswitchs for the windows and top, the leaky coolant tanks, the leaking oil cooler, the weak water pump, the leaky aos, the peeling interior parts, the broken or missing roll bar screens, the bad suspension bushings, the worn out wheel bearings, the plugged drain holes shorting out the security system, the bad ignition switches, not to mention the internal engine problems.

Again, if your looking for a care-free owner's experience, look elsewhere.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #31

One of best porsches around

Very good condition no damage low mils with full porsche services silver 2004 on 53 plate porsche boxster s 3.2 outer mods porsche couler wheel caps gt3 18in alloys with mitchlin all around elronic spolier clear lights iner couler coded centre collum with porsche handbrake and gear knob upgrade porsche sat nav & phone with bose speakers also behind wind shild more speed black leather with porsche crest in seats white dials kn filter more noise please tel more info on 07428721961
porsche33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:01 AM   #32

Porsche boxster s loads extras

Any one swap for porsche 911 2002 cab/hardtop satnav ect please tel on 07428721961

porsche33 is offline   Reply With Quote