View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #3
Mrmaddbrad

Garage
Pothole, i think thats exactly what he's trying to do.. At least it was a free bump....

But first off man you have to realize a few things... 1) ALL cars are different!! Just because a neighbors boxster exploded at 150,000 miles doesn't mean yours will! Or if theres a guy with half a million miles doesn't mean yours will make it that far! Every car has its little nicks and you need to be willing to make repairs...

2) Just because Porsche has a great name, and builds amazingly well built and solid cars, that does not make them reliable, it just makes them expensive to work on . However; boxsters are extremely reliable cars, but they like to be driven HARD, and if you can't fulfill their needs, you should probably by something different.

3) GET A PPI (Prepurchase Inspection). Preferably by a German Mechanic that you feel is reputable and you can trust. Since you already have a Mini should make this tast fairly easy. They will look over the car (usually charging 1 to 1.5 hours of labor) with a fine tooth comb and tell you everything they find that can change 1) the value of the car and 2) how much money you need to put in later. As i was once told, "It's a lot easier to part with $100 than it is with $5000...."

4) Boxsters are amazingly fun and great cars. They sound good, they handle amazing, the S makes great power, and can put the power to the ground (even without a limit slip.....). That little "S" makes a huge difference and you will appriciate it continously!!

Overall, in my opinion, BUY IT! If you have the money, and you think you can fulfill all of its sexy, sports car needs, then do it. You'll never regret it. Just get ready to enjoy some great, spirited driving. Cuz remember, There Is No Compromise!

Hope this was helpful. Please ask more specific questions!

P.S. The biggest cause of engine failure is the IMS bearing (intermediate shaft Bearing)... If this has not been done, you're looking at putting in an instant $600 in parts and about 10 hours of labor. Plus since you're there you'll want to do a clutch... So you're looking at almost $2000.... Or drive around just waiting for an engine swap... Carrera 3.4L??? Ehh, ehh???
Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote