Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #1

Suncoast vs Pelican Coolant tank price

I know the site is now ran by Wayne of Pelican Parts, but is there any difference between Suncoasts expansion tank or Pelicans? I am seeing on Pelican it says it is genuine Porsche, is that the difference?m Pelican price is $345, Suncoast is $237

I have been dealing with a intermittent coolant loss for a little while but it dumped a lot the other night. I unbolted the tank from the trunk just enough to get a mirror behind it and was able to see a pin hole size stream coming from the tank. Looks like I'll be changing it.

I have the car for sale and someone interested in looking at it this weekend. I guess I would like to get the cheaper of the two unless someone else on here says otherwise and to avoid it.

Also does anyone know what all comes with that? Does it come with a new bleeder valve or do I have to change over the old one?

Thanks, Jake

Last edited by Jake D; 11-24-2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: made an addition
Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #2

It is now run by Wayne.... And they should be the same. Check the part numbers. I doubt there are more than one or two manufacturer's of Boxster reservoirs.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:14 AM   #3

I have priced items at both websites and find it ironic that Sucoast is cheaper than Pelican on certain items. Not all, just some.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:20 AM   #4

No irony. Very few vendors are cheaper on ALL items, all the time.

At least in my experience.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:42 AM   #5

Wow, that's kind of a really BIG price differential...
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:03 AM   #6

Call Sunset Porsche 503-364-1860 and ask them to beat the Suncoast price. Consider shipping charges too, so it's an apples to apples comp.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post
Call Sunset Porsche 503-364-1860 and ask them to beat the Suncoast price. Consider shipping charges too, so it's an apples to apples comp.
Why? Buy the item from the vendor who offers the best price or service. Let the high-priced vendor compete on the front side.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

As you can see, the bleeder valve is part of the replacement coolent expansion tank. You won't need to swap the old bleeder valve over to the new tank.

Reference: PORSCHE BOXSTER GENUINE ENGINE COOLANT RECOVERY TANK - 1 REQUIRED PER CAR. - R99610614707

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:44 AM   #9

Maybe since this is a common failure some will raise the price and lower it on others. Coolant tank is an expensive job on labor so the near $100 price difference has to factor into the decision.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
Sorry to ad a bit of editorial to the topic but;

Please remember the help / guidance you receive from this website. Hopefully that will enter into your decision as to who to support with your dollars.......JMHO.
I completely agree expect that I have the car for sale and I can't really justify spending an extra $100 for a tank on a car I might not own by this time next week. At the same time you'd think they'd check each others prices and be a little more competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Maybe since this is a common failure some will raise the price and lower it on others. Coolant tank is an expensive job on labor so the near $100 price difference has to factor into the decision.

I was dreading changing the tank, and thought I'd mess with it some tonight to see how bad it was going to be to change. Once again I was disappointed in how much whining I've heard on the board about how hard it is to change. I had the dumb thing out in probably 30-35 mins tops with a pair of vice grips and a flashlight. No fancy spring tool or all the other stuff I've read. My hands don't look like they've been though a blender like I've read on here multiple times. My only complaint was I was looking at the tank and burnt my forearm on the stupid trunk bulb. I wrenched on cars for 5 years through college and either I am a better mechanic than I give myself credit for, or people blow things way out of proportion on here..

I had a similar experience with my top. Read all about how its SOOOO difficult to take off and whatnot. I had it off by myself in about an hour.. Had new vinyl sewn in. Reinstalled in about 1.5 hours. No big deal
Old 11-28-2011, 04:49 AM   #11

Suncoast Porsche sells only Porsche parts. I have found them more aggressive in replacement parts than most other dealers. You can buy a water pump from them for nearly $100 bucks less than other suppliers.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986 View Post
Suncoast Porsche sells only Porsche parts. I have found them more aggressive in replacement parts than most other dealers. You can buy a water pump from them for nearly $100 bucks less than other suppliers.
Thanks for the response. I was wanting to help contribute to the site and by from Pelican, but like I said, the car is for sale and the guy seems pretty interested in it. Either way its going to have a new tank in it now so he will be happy with that. Otherwise I will be. I just can't afford to throw an additional $100 on the same part regardless of how much I like this site.... I'm Porsche rich and cash poor, the reason why I have it for sale in the first place
Old 11-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #13
Forum Sponsor

Garage
Some Porsche dealers have been very competitive on price lately, trying to win market share. This has happened at various times over the past 13 years, and typically lasts until the dealership realizes that it can't sell stuff for that cheap and eventually raises it's prices (or goes under). In this case (just guessing), Suncoast would have to order the part, get it in, and then ship it out several days later. Pelican has 36 available to ship right now. In addition, I think Suncoast charges a 15% handling fee + shipping costs on top of that ($32 shipping when I checked out their site). With the purchase of a tank from Pelican, you get free shipping, and this tank would also qualify for free 3-day shipping anywhere in the continental US.

We're constantly reviewing our pricing on various lines. In this case, I did some more research and discovered that our current supplier for this part is way overpriced! So, I have lowered the price on this part down to $250. Not as low as the other guys, but now in the ballpark. You can order the part here: Pelican Parts - Product Information: 996-106-147-08-OEM

Thanks for pointing this out to us,

Wayne
• 101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper

Now Available:
• 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997
Wayne 962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:19 PM   #14

Garage
Wayne - IMO your response quite clearly explains why you are successful in your business!
Old 11-30-2011, 06:08 PM   #15

Crap.... Well thanks for the response Wayne. I appreciate it. Unfortunately, I got antsy as I have the first possible serious buyer wanting to look at the car so I pulled the trigger on Monday evening. With the tank and a new cap and I guess shipping I got everything for $272.45. Received an email this morning saying it shipped today.

I will continue to shop your site and hopefully next time, if there is a next time, I will be purchasing from you.

Thanks again.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:27 PM   #16
Certified Boxster Addict

Dang, its always cool when the boss man (Wayne) shows up and takes care of business!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:18 PM   #17
Forum Sponsor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Dang, its always cool when the boss man (Wayne) shows up and takes care of business!
Just trying to keep it real!

-Wayne
• 101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper

Now Available:
• 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997
Wayne 962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts View Post
Some Porsche dealers have been very competitive on price lately, trying to win market share. This has happened at various times over the past 13 years, and typically lasts until the dealership realizes that it can't sell stuff for that cheap and eventually raises it's prices (or goes under). In this case (just guessing), Suncoast would have to order the part, get it in, and then ship it out several days later. Pelican has 36 available to ship right now. In addition, I think Suncoast charges a 15% handling fee + shipping costs on top of that ($32 shipping when I checked out their site). With the purchase of a tank from Pelican, you get free shipping, and this tank would also qualify for free 3-day shipping anywhere in the continental US.

We're constantly reviewing our pricing on various lines. In this case, I did some more research and discovered that our current supplier for this part is way overpriced! So, I have lowered the price on this part down to $250. Not as low as the other guys, but now in the ballpark. You can order the part here: Pelican Parts - Product Information: 996-106-147-08-OEM

Thanks for pointing this out to us,

Wayne
Wayne, good job on your price adjustment. That's good business.

Places like Sunset Porsche and Suncoast Porsche are excellent vendors and parts suppliers to the Porsche community. I have NEVER been charged a "handling fee" of 15%. Their shipping charges are very competitive, and can be fast ($$$$) or slow ($) depending on the customer's requirements. For very common, every-day, routine maintenance parts, they are in-stock and can be shipped the same day.

IIRC, Sunset and Suncoast's pricing model is approx 15% over thier costs. No sales tax (if you live outside of thier State). Most of our local dealerships charge double the price paid to Porsche.

The last few years, I have almost exclusively purchased from Sunset. Phil Coy has my cars on file, and credit card number. I send him an e-mail with my request. Within hours he confirms everything, and ships the part(s). If I find the same item on the internet, for a lower price (does not happen often), he will price match it or beat it slightly. Drama free. If I order a part they don't have, I am not charged until the part arrive to them, and they ship it to me.

I only purchase OEM Porsche parts.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #19

Free Shipping?

Wayne, thank you lowering your price and offering free shipping. Is the free shipping still being offered? When I go to place my order, the Pelican website asks me for a zip code and is charging me $14 for ground and $35.50 for 3-day shipping.

Do I need a coupon code or did your prior free shipping offer expire?

Thanks,
~Seppe:dance:
  • OEM 18" Turbo-Twists
  • LED Tail/3rd Brake Lights
unavita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #20

I have made several purchases from Wayne in the past, not because he's cheap. He is usually fair in pricing and competitive. I have made a couple of purchases from Sun Coast and also have had a good experience. I trust both for my Porsche parts. Now, with Wayne you do get choices, with Sun Coast, it's only Porsche parts. Your choice.

Example:
Pekican Parts: 4 new Balo rotors, Mintex Pads, 2 liters of Gold brake fluid...$300.00
Sun Coast: OEM Porsche Parts would have bee around $1000.00

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest

Last edited by jcb986; 03-14-2012 at 08:44 AM.
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote