Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2005, 11:16 PM   #1

Automatic top opening?

I've whined about this before, but it really does bug me that I have to hold the top switch down when I'm stopped in order to close or open the top.

Since I DON'T have to do that when the car's moving, I can only assume that it was done for safety reasons, although I'm not sure why. Since I can stop the automatic opening of the top by pushing the switch in the other direction, I see nothing stopping me from simply killing the speed-dependant part of the switch.

This should be as easy as either popping a relay out or faking a 5V signal. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the 987 that I could peruse, or am I going to have to do some digging on my own?

I'll document the process if I end up doing it, for better or for worse.

eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:10 AM   #2

I think I saw you...

Were you on Convoy street Monday, early evening? Can't be that many gray 987S in San Diego with dealer plates at the moment. I was the 987 behind you as you were putting the top down while driving

Back to your top-griping, yeah, I think the top up/down while driving doesn't work as slickly as it could, I keep getting that 'top not in limit position' message.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:01 AM   #3

So how would you expose the engine compartment?
Old 06-29-2005, 08:37 AM   #4

SD987: While it is totally not uncommon to find me in Kearny Mesa, I don't think I was there Monday. I think last week I saw a blue 987 behind me at one point as I was putting the top UP, but I guess that's not what you're talking about? And yes, that "top not in limit position" when you've pressed the button while driving and have come to a stop is really stupid. It just screams of "lawyer appeasement". I'm thinking this was a US-market change but I don't have confirmation yet.

PeterJoyce: In automatic operation you can still stop the top from moving by pushing the button in the opposite direction, just like you can with the automatic window switches, so exposing the engine bay would not be a problem of any sort.

Regardless of that, the way I'd handle this modification would be to add a switch that would allow normal top operation, so as not to confuse the service people.

Last edited by eslai; 06-29-2005 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:07 AM   #5

There's an aftermarket top button that does this and also allows you to open the top without putting on the parking brake. It reads the speed too so you can't accidentally open it while you're moving to keep you from damaging the top. It's advertised in the Panorama magazine at around $240.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:10 AM   #6

Is this for the 986 or the 987? I haven't seen anything about the 987. Sorry, i should have been more specific.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:35 AM   #7

Yeah, that was me...

You're right, you were putting the top up...

While simultaneously making a left hand turn across two lanes into Noodle World, or whatever that little Japanese noodle place is called.

I remember thinking it was remarkable that you weren't rear-ended or fly into the curb at speed.

Mine was the blue 987.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:26 AM   #8

None of this driving surprises me. We live in Kalifornia.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 08:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
You're right, you were putting the top up...

While simultaneously making a left hand turn across two lanes into Noodle World, or whatever that little Japanese noodle place is called.

I remember thinking it was remarkable that you weren't rear-ended or fly into the curb at speed.

Mine was the blue 987.
Ahahaha, remember--the top goes up automatically--I had one hand on the wheel and the other on the shifter.

Sorry I didn't say "hi"--I was considering it but with all my friends there I didn't want to put you on the spot. Actually, wait--you passed me as I was turning in, but then you came back and parked in front of the restaurant and came in didn't you? Or was that yet ANOTHER boxster??

If that WAS you that came in, we were discussing your car because that was almost the EXACT boxster that I was trying to convince my friend and his girlfriend (the two in front of me in the restaurant) to get. They both love the midnight blue/tan. The one thing that bugs them is that you can't get a tan top! Very strange!
Old 06-29-2005, 08:57 PM   #10

Yeah that was me, I went to get gas down the street...yet again, on account of the incredibly crappy mileage i'm getting during break-in...and then got take-out from there, which I do occasionally. I didn't see your car in the lot though, nor recognize you/your party. I think I was wearing a Princeton squash team t-shirt that day and was probably looking pretty scrungy as I'd just washed the car on my own, for the first time.

Yeah, I've long thought the midnight blue/tan is the best combo...much better than the blue/gray. I'm thinking it's gonna suck to keep clean though. Not sure I'd want a tan top on it...a little miata-ish, but then again I've driven top-up only once in it.

Yours is from Pioneer also right? What did you think? I wasn't too impressed with them in the dealings I've had, particularly the service department which was slow on some 'Due Bill' items. They sure know how to detail the car after service though, makes me want to invent reasons to drop it off.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:59 AM   #11

Yeah it was parked there and I saw you come in. Oh and that gas mileage you're talking about? It doesn't get any better after break-in. I average about 17 MPG.

Pioneer has been good to me, although they wouldn't budge much on the price--should've gone to Hoehn but at least now my dealer is close to my house rather than thirty minutes north. I haven't had any problems with the service department being slow but I only had it there once to have a headlight adjusted. They washed the car okay, but I think they need to work on their windshield techniques.

As for the tan top thing--they just thought it seemed a little weird to have three colors on the car, and with the top down you still see it folded up behind the seats, so they were kind of scratching their heads over why you can't get a matching top for all of the interior colors.

No matter--they probably can't buy one right now anyhow, but your model and options probably would've been exactly what they wanted, so they were oooh-ing and aaaah-ing quite a bit.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
Is this for the 986 or the 987? I haven't seen anything about the 987. Sorry, i should have been more specific.
I know it's for the 986, I'm not sure if it fits the 987 or if they have another one. I'll try to remember to check the ad when I get home tonight.

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote