Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 08:14 AM   #1

I've got a scissor lift. Beware thought they aren't all equal. the first one i looked at the specs posted on the web said the arms would extend to a maximum 63 inches wide. I measured my boxster and bmw and the lift would do both. When i got it delivered and set up the arms would only extend to a maximum width of 54 inches so I couldn't lift the bmw with it.

When I called and complained they said the specifications were subject to change. I felt I was misled. I bought the unit as opposed to their competitors based on the specifications listed on their website. They did take the unit back and I picked one up from another vendor. Theirs had the same size frame but longer arms and did fit the bmw. Moral of the story: online specifications are worthless and subject to change whenever it benefits the vendor.

Last edited by rdc8118; 05-17-2012 at 08:16 AM.
rdc8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #2

I have a typical 2 car garage and do not have much space for a lift. I do most of my own maint-repair on my cars and have been looking for one.

With the space I have I've been eying this one out. EZ CAR LIFT - FREE-STANDING USE-ANYWHERE CAR LIFT! FAST. SAFE. STRONG.EASY.

Wonder if anyone here have tried this. Still undecided.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas951 View Post
I have a typical 2 car garage and do not have much space for a lift. I do most of my own maint-repair on my cars and have been looking for one.

With the space I have I've been eying this one out. EZ CAR LIFT - FREE-STANDING USE-ANYWHERE CAR LIFT! FAST. SAFE. STRONG.EASY.

Wonder if anyone here have tried this. Still undecided.
It looks pretty slick, but the maximum height is only 26 inches. Its pretty easy to get 26 inches with just a floor jack and jack stands.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:59 AM   #4

Garage
I have been reading more about lifts over the last few days and I think I see most of the advantages and disadvantages of each style, but now my overriding concern is, how do I get the thing off the back of the delivery truck? I live in the burbs and don't have a dock or any type of a forklift. It looks like it would be a 3rd party shipping company that would deliver it, and details are a little sketchy as to if they would even have a lift gate, but it appears even that wouldn't be enough. I have also read in a few places where people say "the driver isn't going to sit and wait for an hour while you dismantle the thing and take it off piece by piece."

If you own a lift, how did you do it?

I don't own a truck either, but could borrow or rent one if that could somehow help. (ie, picking it up at at shipping terminal that would put it in my truck with their forklift, then I could screw around all day unloading it)
Benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:33 AM   #5
Ex Esso kid

Benjamin, I'm betting the delivery company will be well aware of the pallet jacks or equivalent needed to get the product into your driveway. They may even have an electric gate that lowers it like an appliance delivery. From the driveway to install it's all you.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote