Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #21

I just read through your original post and the rest of the posts on this thread, and your description confirms 100% that you will find that the plastic ball cups have broken off or popped off their respective steel balls.

The canvas portion of the top will still operate with only one plastic ball cup attached, but the top will lurch forward or trail behind, depending on the particular part of the cycle that the top is in.

In your case, since nothing is happening with the canvas portion at all, both of your plastic ball cups are suspect.

Also, because you must have operated the top with the button at least once (as you explained), that is also the cause of the water intrusion into the cabin, where it ended up under your driver's seat.

Finallly, because you have the "B Version" transmissions (2000 and later 986's), the double relay gets its signal from the inside of the driver's side ("Stehle" brand) transmission and thus does not depend on the earlier version's B-Pillar microswitch, thereby allowing the top to go through its entire cycle, even to the point of turning off the idiot light on the dashboard.

Here is a photo of where you should be looking for the plastic ball cups, in this photo with the canvas top halfway up and the rear main bow in the 45 degree position. They will be either red or, more likely, in your case, white plastic. Do not remove any remnants of either plastic ball cup from the front metal pushrods onto which they are screwed until you mark where the base of the plastic meets the pushrod threads (with nail polish or masking tape). That will save you time and aggravation of having to re-adjust the overall length of the pushrods once you replace the plastic ball cups or the entire pushrod.

Here is another photo, with the red oval showing the area to check for tears of the foam liner.

The Permatex Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant is available at Pep Boys, Autozone, etc., and it's part number 16BR. Works great for this application. If you find that your tears are very large, you can back up the foam drain material with duct tape and then seal it with the Permatex.

When you get the new plastic ball cups (or the pushrods), I can walk you or your brother through the installation.

If you are even the least bit mechanically inclined, or have a friend who is willing to help you, we can fix this for under $50, including the Permatex Sealant.

Regards, Maurice.

Attached Images

schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #22

Maurice, I appreciate the response very much. I'm definitely willing to give this repair a try if it isn't very mechanically difficult. I'll pm you for where to find the plastic cups you're talking about. Thanks again.
iluvboxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvboxsters
Maurice, I appreciate the response very much. I'm definitely willing to give this repair a try if it isn't very mechanically difficult. I'll pm you for where to find the plastic cups you're talking about. Thanks again.
PM Sent.

Have you taken a look down in that area to see the plastic balls broken or the shiny steel balls showing?

It isn't mechanically difficult, and can be done in less than 1/2 hour. I'll give you my phone number when you get to that stage and we can get it done while you are on the phone, especially if your brother is around.

PM me your e-mail and I'll send you my phone number.

You are going to need a LARGE flat bladed screwdriver, or, preferably one of those pry-bar type of black-handled screwdrivers that has a little angle on the end of the blade. You can get those at Harbor Freight or at Pep Boys, etc...

You will also have to seal the foam liner, so get that Permatex sealant ASAP.

That's about if for the tools for your particular repair.

Regards, Maurice.

schoir is offline   Reply With Quote