Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 08:34 AM   #1
Certified Boxster Addict

IMS: To Fix or Not to Fix? What are the costs?

I am a new Boxster owner (1999 base with 80K miles) and am interested in the financial tradeoff between:

(1) Cost to fix/update IMS

versus

(2) Doing nothing and possibly having IMS failure/rebuild costs

versus

(3) Simply replacing the car if the engine blows

What do you estimate the IMS fix along with the other updates to cost?

What does a used engine or rebuild really cost? Looks like anywhere from $8K for a used replacement to $18K for a super rebuild. Correct?

If the rebuild costs are really $15K+, aren't Boxsters with blown engines throwaways since a decent replacement car can now be had for the same price as the rebuild?

Thanks.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
JTP

If your engine blows, why would you throw away your car and get another Boxster just because the market value says it's worth a certain amount? If you get another used Boxster you'll end up with another potential problem. Why not address the IMS issue now or when you need a clutch? Then you'll have greatly reduced chances of failure.
Regardless of the current value of these cars, I'd hardly call then disposable cars.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #3

Usually if the engine goes 60-80K miles, you got a good motor. I have seen rebuilt and removed engines for around $4500. Add $1,200 to $1,500 for indy to replace. IMS replaced, I would use Porsches newer bearing and forget the LMS offer. Replace the IMS bearing and RMS seal along with the clutch...I assume you need one and you can save big $$$.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #4

I will be upgrading my IMS next year.
The quote that I'm getting is (shop is listed at LN engineering installer list):
IMS + clutch + RMS: Labor $780, parts $1170. Total $1950
M/T fluid replace $139
dual mass flywheel (if needed) = $1048

Total cost $2089 (if flywheel is in good condition) or $3137 (with flywheel replacement)
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #5

I just bought a used engine for $3500. I got a quote of $2k to replace it, and that doesn't include updating the bearing, replacing the RMS if needed, or the clutch if needed. It also doesn't include stuff like oil, filter, antifreeze, power steering fluid, hoses or belt or anything else that needs to be replaced.

The LNE IMS retrofit cost $595, and the tool kit was $135 (going off memory here, so I may be wrong). If you do it by yourself, it will cost you a couple of extra dollars for some things like flywheel and pressure plate bolts, clutch alignment tool, and a special tool needed to remove one tranny bolt. The bolts and tools are cheap. If you need an RMS, that is also cheap, but the tool to replace it is not (you can make your own for dirt cheap though). I'd say you could do the IMS itself for an extra $100. If you need to replace the clutch, it will cost about $700, and if you need a flywheel, that will add another $950 or so. It's not a tough job to do though.

BTW, take a look under your car and check the S/N on your engine. I would be that it's a replacement engine. So that means it doesn't actually have the miles you though it does. Also, if it does have close to that many miles, it is likely that the clutch has been replaced, and if so, it is also likely that you have an updated RMS. The engine I bought had a new style RMS. However, the IMS bearing was definitely worn.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:33 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

@Mike Yi - how can I tell if the engine SN is original or not?

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote